LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Fair price to pay for 18 inch Sport Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-10, 08:05 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I like the way the car looks on the larger 18 inch wheels too.

I wondering if anyone here has downsized to smaller wheels and if they notice big improvement in the smoothness of the ride. I would expect the extra sidewall "should" help, just wondering if it's significant. If I do this and don't get a big improvement it will be a lot of effort for nothing.
Old 09-06-10, 09:46 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it's not really the availability of the wheels that is an issue, but rather the simplicity of being able to meet someone and just do the swap right there. Not worry about shipping or getting rid of the set you take off etc.

A tire and rim swap is something that works out beneficially for both parties, and whoever I end up trading with, I still plan to make it somewhat worth their while as I am not the kind who takes something for nothing.

As far as the ride... the 3rd party dealer who I bought my car from had (and still has) a 2004 ML car on the 18" 5 Spokes that actually had 20k less miles than mine and was probably in even nicer condition (and about 4000.00 more expensive which is why I ultimately passed)... yet the ride on my car was markedly improved over the other one. However I care more about looks so I don't mind the sacrifice of ride plushness.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 09-06-10 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-06-10, 10:02 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Coincedentally the guy who this thread was originally about finally got around to sending me photos of the wheels he has, and they are true chrome 18 inch 5 Spokes. I still prefer to trade because its a lot simpler, and because the tires on this set are not in great shape, but at least they are not difficult to find otherwise.

CarGuy... I have been conversing with Stu and then anniversar about driving to them to do the trade, but even if I can't end up working anything out and anyone else chimes in with the same type of swap arrangement, you are more than welcome to take the next one.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 09-06-10 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-07-10, 04:47 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks man! Like I said, I'm not really in a big rush, just whenever an opportunity opens up and I don't have to drive halfway round the world or pay an arm and a leg. Good luck with your search and post up some pics!
Old 09-07-10, 05:03 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 16"

Originally Posted by Stu
I wondering if anyone here has downsized to smaller wheels and if they notice big improvement in the smoothness of the ride. I would expect the extra sidewall "should" help, just wondering if it's significant. If I do this and don't get a big improvement it will be a lot of effort for nothing.
I have the 2001 16" wheels with Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires on them and the ride is very much different from even the 17" that I have. I don't know if you can equate, but I've only felt this sponginess on a 1994 Ford Ranger pickup truck with 14" wheels before. You run over anything and it's just bloop, bloop, and you don't feel anything. The 17" are already pretty soft, but the 16" makes it really a land boat.

I actually am going to switch around and do the 16" with Primacy and 17" with winters once one of the tire sets is done and I'm ready to swap out.
Old 09-07-10, 06:37 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I noticed something weird on our Highlander... the ride comfort improved when we got an 07 with 17s on it as opposed to the 06 we had for a couple of years that had 16s on it.

But in test driving a bunch of LS430s last year, on that car the ride seemed better with 17s than the 18s. I especially noticed an LS with 18s and sport package we test drove that road like a stagecoach. I was disappointed because I had read about the LS sport package and really wanted to like that car. Of course some of this observed effect on cars we test drove may be due more to difference in tire ride quality. No way to tell in a random situation so it may not be the wheel size has that much affect on ride unless you go to extreme wheels.
Old 09-07-10, 06:46 AM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I noticed something weird on our Highlander... the ride comfort improved when we got an 07 with 17s on it as opposed to the 06 we had for a couple of years that had 16s on it.

But in test driving a bunch of LS430s last year, on that car the ride seemed better with 17s than the 18s. I especially noticed an LS with 18s and sport package we test drove that road like a stagecoach. I was disappointed because I had read about the LS sport package and really wanted to like that car. Of course some of this observed effect on cars we test drove may be due more to difference in tire ride quality. No way to tell in a random situation so it may not be the wheel size has that much affect on ride unless you go to extreme wheels.
Thats surprising in many ways ...

I just bought an LS with the Sport package and 18s, and while it doesn't ride like a stagecoach, lol, I would "expect" it to ride even better with 17s .... but I want confirmation before I switch.
Old 09-07-10, 11:32 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

These cars are weird - just about every one one of them that I test drove rode and handled differently from the others. It may be that the LS430 as a model is particularly sensitive to the specific mix of wheels and tires on it, along with previous wear and tear. The sport option one I test drove really stood out for riding hard with no noticeable advantage in handling or tighter steering feel....may have had some really bad tires on it or been driven really hard by previous owner. .

Last edited by Jabberwock; 09-07-10 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-07-10, 12:35 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
These cars are weird - just about every one one of them that I test drove rode and handled differently from the others. It may be that the LS430 as a model is particularly sensitive to the specific mix of wheels and tires on it, along with previous wear and tear. The sport option one I test drove really stood out for riding hard with no noticeable advantage in handling or tighter steering feel....may have had some really bad tires on it or been driven really hard by previous owner. .
perhaps along with the larger wheels, Lexus also put stiffer struts on the sport model ?
Old 09-07-10, 12:45 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The "Sport" LS430 did have changes in suspension components, not just larger wheels. As for ride, the type of tires do make a big difference. For me, I am thinking of going primacy on 16" and snow to 17" because the blizzak run a little loud (snow tires) and I want the full plushness that comes with 16".

If you go tire to tire (i.e. Primacy 18" with Primacy 16") you'll notice a big difference. If you mix and match as you're comparing, then it's up for grabs what might happen.