LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Fair price to pay for 18 inch Sport Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-10, 12:57 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fair price to pay for 18 inch Sport Wheels?

I've been off and on looking for some 18 inch Sport wheels for my '04 car that came with the factory 17s.

I came across a set near me with three good and one bad tire for $750.00 and offered 650 (if he even still has them, and if they are the right ones as he took them off a 2003 LS and used a stock photo).

Is that reasonable? Has anyone else bought these and what have you paid if you did?

Unfortunately the tires on my 17s are practically brand new Michelin Primacys, put on by the dealer less than 12k ago so I am kind of regretting getting rid of them but oh well, it is what it is.
Old 09-05-10, 04:28 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That sounds like an OK price, assuming great condition. I would check the 03 v. 04-06 sales brochure link in the FAQ section to ensure that the factory wheels in 03 are what you expect. Also, be sure to get real pics or, better yet, personally inspect, the wheels. Sellers often have little idea of what they are selling. The guy I bought my winter wheels from listed "4 18" chrome wheels with Dunlop tires from a LS430". I was thinking I'd get 4 wheels like mine and I'd pick the best 4 for summer and the worst 4 for winter. When I went to inspect them, it turned out that they were aftermarket wheels. Then he mentioned that he had the 4 original 17" silver wheels, with no tires, from his 01 UL. Heck, that's what I really wanted for winter use and I bought them for $100 each.
Old 09-05-10, 05:26 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Inspect the wheels and tires carefully to avoid buying crap. The wheels could be factory or lookalikes. The wheels could also been heavily repaired from either curb rash or more serious accidents. Avoid heavily repaired wheels. Check to see if any finish/paint is lifting or bubbling on wheels.

Examine tires carefully - be sure to check date codes on each to ensure you are buying recent (newer than 5 yo tires) check tires and particularly the thinner sidewalls for puncture patches that should not be there (can make the tire potentially dangerous to drive).
Old 09-05-10, 09:09 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Thanks for the advice on both counts. He is going to send me actual photos of the wheels, which I informed he could only have on a 2003 if HE had added them later. He didn't say yes or no they were correct, just that he'd be happy to send me some photos.

Also, the tires are probably going to end up getting replaced as one is flat already anyway.

Were I not to buy this set, what is a fair price for a set with decent tires, or a set with no tires?

Thanks.
Old 09-05-10, 12:15 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I brought my 18s like 1yr and some change ago for 450 with one tire a worn out dunlop lol. ,ote they weren't in perfect condition either so I would expect to pay more for a near perfect set. Just had to get them ugly 17s off asap, just gettin use to the harsher ride but its all good .
Old 09-05-10, 12:49 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want OEM, then that's a fair price including the tires, for what they're worth. You could always go the Ebay route, there are sellers on there selling the 18" replicas wheels for $150 or so shipped, but they're not OEM so who knows the quality.

If you're close, go inspect and pick up.
Old 09-05-10, 05:20 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

He hasn't emailed me back yet so its probably vaporware...err vapor...wheel? I will send him a follow up.

If that doesn't pan out, I am not above the replicas, unless you guys are dead set against them. The replica guys' feedbacks seem to not be too bad.
Old 09-05-10, 05:54 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Someone here bought a set of replicas a number of months ago and may have promised a review. Do a quick search and see if you can sniff him out.
Old 09-05-10, 07:58 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

it's too bad you are in Florida because I am in Toronto with EXACTLY what you want - OEM 18s in very good condition.

And I want to trade them for 17s because I want the smoothest possible ride on my 2005 LS430.

I am trying to sell them here in Toronto for $ 700 with tires
Old 09-05-10, 08:00 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stu
it's too bad you are in Florida because I am in Toronto with EXACTLY what you want - OEM 18s in very good condition.

And I want to trade them for 17s because I want the smoothest possible ride on my 2005 LS430.

Actually I am in Missouri, I might be willing to consider the drive up for a trade depending on how you want to do it. Don't know how far you are from the border (my passport is expired right now), but if you are too far I could probably send my friend up there with the car and my stock wheels and tires.
Old 09-05-10, 08:08 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
Actually I am in Missouri, I might be willing to consider the drive up for a trade depending on how you want to do it. Don't know how far you are from the border (my passport is expired right now), but if you are too far I could probably send my friend up there with the car and my stock wheels and tires.
I am 90 minutes from Buffalo, but if you want to drive here and swap wheels, I wouold be interested in a trade, depending on what your wheels look like and of course their condition.

I get the car on Wenesday and I will not be using the wheels. I hate feeling the road, so I definately don't want 18 inch wheels with 35 series rubber !
Old 09-06-10, 06:27 PM
anniversar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have 18 inch Lexus rims with almost new Michelin Primacy tires. I have decided to try to find some 17 inch rims and tires as I am more interested in the ultimate in ride comfort than appearance. What condition are your rims and tires in. I am located north of Milwaukee
Old 09-06-10, 07:17 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu

I would be willing to trade I have a set of 17s in great condition with decent Dunlops (came with car). That is, only if playdrv4me doesn't take them of course.

EDIT: It appears we have 2 ppl interested in a potential trade? I have a set of 17s in excellent condition (wheels straight and true with very few cosmetic blemishes). I love the look of 18s and would be willing to sacrifice some comfort with looks. I will let playdrv4me get first pick, then I am willing to work something out with the second person. I am willing to pay shipping both ways. Please pm me if you're serious about the swap. Thanks

Last edited by CarGuy89; 09-06-10 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-06-10, 07:35 PM
Stu
Racer

Looks like lots of LS430 owner want the 18s, so I wont have a problem selling them.

Because I am in Canada, I will find someone local - it's just less hassle and cheaper too.

You guys trade among yourselves, and I will just sit on the sidelines for now.
Old 09-06-10, 07:42 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
Looks like lots of LS430 owner want the 18s, so I wont have a problem selling them.

Because I am in Canada, I will find someone local - it's just less hassle and cheaper too.

You guys trade among yourselves, and I will just sit on the sidelines for now.
Understandable. Shipping wheels would mean that the car sits for a few days, which would be inconvenient. I would probably prefer to meet up with someone and find a good tire shop and get the wheels swapped there and then. Stu, if you have no luck with the sale, then I'm willing to meet you halfway, since we are relatively close (I go between Ann Arbor and East Lansing, MI).

I'm not really in a huge rush either, I like the car as is. The 18s are just the proverbial "icing on the cake" kinda thing for me.

Quick Reply: Fair price to pay for 18 inch Sport Wheels?