My First LS

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-10, 07:28 AM
lysander6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First LS

My first post.

I have been a lurker here for awhile. I have been shopping for a 2001 Lexus LS430 for six months and finally pulled the trigger yesterday.

I bought a 2001 LS430 w/69k miles for 13k. It is the Ultra Luxury package with the ivory interior and it is pristine except for a bumper ding in the passenger front. Gold exterior. I am a little apprehensive about the nav unit and its imbedded controls but it is 100%.

Got it from Lexus of Chandler in AZ. I kept calling on it hoping they would lower the price, apparently they have had lots of interest but folks had a hard time getting a loan against it. Complete maintenance docs and serviced at the dealer.

Unfortunately, it came with only one key and no owner's manuals. Any recommendations on these two items?

BTW, I had a bead on a 2001 LS430 in CA with 39k miles but it was sold when I called back.

The only Lexus I have owned before is a 1997 LX450 and it was a great vehicle. I don't know how Lexus does it but the 2001 was a banner year for reliability according to Consumer Reports. What other maker can do that with a pilot year for a new model?
Old 09-12-10, 07:33 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats on a good looking low mileage excellent deal on an ls430. ohh yeah and welcome to the club.
Old 09-12-10, 07:34 AM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Congrats and welcome! She looks gorgeous. Keep an eye out... a manual will pop up. Worst case put the local junkyards on high alert. For the other key, I would say suck it up and pay a visit back to the Lexus dealership. Just my thoughts. Good luck!
Old 09-12-10, 08:08 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome and congrats. On online owners manual is available at the owners section of Lexus.com. They say you can also request a hardcopy to be sent to you, but I never received one.
Old 09-12-10, 08:17 AM
focsle
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! Love the color!!
Old 09-12-10, 08:34 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

That is absurd and a crying shame. Have you tried asking YOUR Lexus dealer why they are selling a Lexus without a manual? Shame on them and tell them the Mercedes Benz dealer does. What's their e-mail ... I'll tell'em?
Old 09-12-10, 08:37 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

By the way I spent days reading mine and don't know what I would have done without it. Tell them you are missing out on the "Total Lexus Experience". Just a crying shame I tell you.
Old 09-12-10, 10:18 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Welcome and congrats. On online owners manual is available at the owners section of Lexus.com. They say you can also request a hardcopy to be sent to you, but I never received one.
I recently ordered a hard copy manual for my 04 and received it within a week. You do have to register as an owner and supply the VIN No. After you do that you should be able to download a pdf of the manual (unfortunately you have to download each chapter) or have them send a copy.

I just requested the hard copy to see if they would actually do it and to have in the house and not have to run to the car everything I forget how to do something.
Old 09-12-10, 10:22 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

By the way, I bought my 04 UL from Chandler Lexus in 2007 as a CPO and consequently it included everything. I was very happy with the professional way they treated me in the purchase.

I know you'll enjoy the LS430.
Old 09-13-10, 03:05 PM
lysander6
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the kind words and the great tips. Already ordered the manual per recommendation. Still exploring the car and looking forward to replacing the broken subwoofer I have discovered.
Old 09-13-10, 03:23 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Beautiful car - looks like brand new. Its weird that it was supposedly locally serviced but they don't have the keys. Ask the dealer to get the original keys for you from the previous owner, or ask them to make you a complete set at about a 50-60%% discount. Of course getting a full set of keys would have been a lot easier to negotiate before you took delivery, but you can still try. - they need to throw you some kind of bone - Lexus has no business selling an LS430 with one key - lose that key and you are seriously hosed.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 09-13-10 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-13-10, 05:10 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why exactly didn't you DEMAND/REQUIRE that they supply another key and an owners manual when you purchased the car? Either they supply it or you walk. That is what you should have done.
Old 09-13-10, 06:34 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good looking ls welcome to cl
Old 09-13-10, 09:26 PM
lysander6
Driver School Candidate

Why exactly didn't you DEMAND/REQUIRE that they supply another key and an owners manual when you purchased the car? Either they supply it or you walk.
I have been looking for six months and found just the one I wanted. I am arranging for another key as we speak and managed to get a download of the manual.

It is in fantastic condition inside and out except for a minor blemish on the front bumper. No complaints except for the substandard speaker conditions. I think it was garaged and now it is garaged again. I will reconsider ownership once I have 300k on the clock.
Old 09-14-10, 05:19 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Agree - when you look long and hard for an LS and the right one finally shows up - the right behavior is to jump on it before it gets away. The good ones literally sell in a day or two sometimes. Good luck on getting a full set of keys. In the mean time make sure you don't lose the master key (assuming that is what you have). Read at some point that is like $2000 to replace ignition system if you lose all keys.

Quick Reply: My First LS