LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

ls430 or no ls430

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-10, 07:19 PM
jdmsupra
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls430 or no ls430

ok guys i been searching for ls430 seen ive seen my first one. i been running around looking for one for a long time the only thing holding me back was the money. i even been consider getting one hit off coparts.com. But i didnt see anything with light damage or low miles. So today i remember my boy pops who owns a body shop he had one. I went over there and asked him if he still has it he said yea, he told that he doesn't really drive it. So he takes me to go see it omfg. This ***** is clean out the ****ing *** 2001 ls430 silver i guess fully loaded. He gives me the keys, i went in take a quick look around then desided to jump right into the drivers seat put the key in and turn ommfg the car has 36k miles. he told he will take 14k for it no liens nothing only thing is that i know the car was hit and it came off coparts or some kind of auction. so my question is should i even put money towards it. and how much would u give him if u were me.

Thanks
Old 09-14-10, 07:25 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That sounds like a lot for a 10 year old LS with a salvage(?) title. If the title is clean, the repairs not too extensive, and it has a good service history, that would be another story.
Old 09-14-10, 07:53 PM
jdmsupra
Rookie

Originally Posted by caddyowner
That sounds like a lot for a 10 year old LS with a salvage(?) title. If the title is clean, the repairs not too extensive, and it has a good service history, that would be another story.
i didnt even ask about the title but the exterior and interior is crispy clean
Old 09-14-10, 08:14 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jdmsupra
i didnt even ask about the title but the exterior and interior is crispy clean
A good bodyshop could make a rusty, totaled Yugo look good - but it would still be a death trap. Find out what was wrong with the car and what had to be done to fix it. Beware of flood damage, airbag deployment, etc.
Old 09-14-10, 08:16 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's easy to get excited by the first drive, but you really only got a brief impression of the car. Do a bit more research on the car's background (ie carfax, autocheck, and of course, the the Lexus service history website). If the car comes up clean on those, it might not be a bad deal. However, a car that has been in an accident shouldn't go for more than 10k...tops.

I got mine CPO'ed and there are definitely some scratches and scuffs I didn't even see when I said yes to the salesman (the paint hides it well...only when I wash it do I see the scratches ). Overall I am extremely happy with my choice b/c I did the homework on that particular car, so no mechanical surprises were in store for me.
Old 09-14-10, 11:51 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

No way I'd ever pay 14k for a car that was "sitting at a buddy's shop because he doesn't drive it". Too much potential for "stories" unless your buddy has exact detailed photos of what he had to do to that car.

If he can show you what was done and the car does not have a salvage title or other major title brand, we can start talking. From there you have to do the normal checks... i.e. was there a detailed service history up to the point your buddy received the car (should have had service every 5000 miles or as close as possible).

If you can't get a good service history it doesn't really matter how cheap it is, there are many potential problems you could get into. Sometimes, you can run into problems even WITH a good service history.

If the car has a Salvage title and your friend did a reasonable and safe job with the repairs, maybe 10 to 11k. But keep in mind that that same 10 to 11k can get you a 2001 or 2002 nearing or just over 100k miles if you look hard enough, that has a good maintenance history, and has NO stories or accidents.
Old 09-15-10, 05:01 AM
jdmsupra
Rookie

thanks for the help guys today im going to get the vin # and run it to see the history of the car. Is there anything i should look for in this car? I really think 10k-11k is perfect if it comes up as salvage or rebuild. again thanks a lot guys
Old 09-15-10, 05:06 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Determine what trim level the car is and read up on possible issues. If it is a UL, beware of problems with the air suspension. UL and CL cars may have fogged side windows due to lamination problems and door closer issues. With ML, CL, and UL cars, make sure the nav system and touch screen work as they are supposed to. On all trim levels, the engine and trans should be absolutely smooth when operating and the mirrors & steering column should move smoothly and quietly.
Old 09-15-10, 05:10 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Something to think about...a 2001 with 36 K very likely has a 10 year old timing belt on it. I would not go much longer without getting it changed even with low miles - Lexus recommendation is 90k or 7 years I think which is conservative..but still something to consider.

All other fluids should probably be changed/flushed at that age before its regularly driven. Could be some pretty hefty maint costs to get it straight with fresh fluids and a new timing belt.

The big thing I'd be looking at is what does the engine bay look like - if the condition of the hoses, wires, plastics, other parts look fresh and new I'd feel pretty good. But if this stuff looks old, dirty, cracked, pitted, or oxidized, etc. , I'd pass on the car. Maint and parts on an LS is expensive.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 09-15-10 at 05:14 AM.
Old 09-15-10, 08:25 AM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i am going to say NO. As someone mentioned, any body shop can turn crap to a piece of art depends on how much you want to drop.

"knowing" the car is off from a hit is 1st NO, if it is that great of a deal, someone should have picked it up already, so 2nd NO. You probably will have hard time unloading the car later on unless you part it out? More NO from me

Just be patient and wait, I think someone here picked up a UL with ~75K miles for the same price.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...r-ls430-3.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-first-ls.html

Last edited by intermec; 09-15-10 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-15-10, 08:30 AM
lysander6
Driver School Candidate

I would recommend no. I am the one who just picked up the 2001 LS430 UL with 69k for $13k plus extortion for the state.

Salvage titles can be very problematic for resale and can also land you in legal difficulties if a judgment or lawsuit is in action after the accident.

Try ebay and craigslist. It took me six months. Be patient and it will come.

Last edited by lysander6; 09-15-10 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-15-10, 10:32 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lysander6
...Salvage titles ... can also land you in legal difficulties if a judgment or lawsuit is in action after the accident....
Please elaborate. Are you referring to a judgment from the previous accident that resulted in the car having a salvage title or some future accident that the new owner may have - or both. I can imagine that the future owner of a salvage titled car is involved in a tragic accident resulting in the injury or death of a non-related passenger or occupant of another vehicle. The passenger, or heirs, then sues the car owner claiming that the owner knowingly purchased a salvaged vehicle with compromised safety systems and did not inform the passenger of such.
Old 09-15-10, 10:54 AM
lysander6
Driver School Candidate

I think both of your suppositions apply but more the former than the latter. Insurance may also be difficult in which the new owner can get liability but little else that will be underwritten. The whole premise outside of flooding is that the ST is issued because the car sustained damage equal to roughly its market value.

I simply think that the market has a surplus of Lexus LS platforms out there (check FL, it's huge) that have clear titles and clean Carfaxes.
Old 09-16-10, 05:12 AM
abs
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmsupra
ok guys i been searching for ls430 seen ive seen my first one. i been running around looking for one for a long time the only thing holding me back was the money. i even been consider getting one hit off coparts.com. But i didnt see anything with light damage or low miles. So today i remember my boy pops who owns a body shop he had one. I went over there and asked him if he still has it he said yea, he told that he doesn't really drive it. So he takes me to go see it omfg. This ***** is clean out the ****ing *** 2001 ls430 silver i guess fully loaded. He gives me the keys, i went in take a quick look around then desided to jump right into the drivers seat put the key in and turn ommfg the car has 36k miles. he told he will take 14k for it no liens nothing only thing is that i know the car was hit and it came off coparts or some kind of auction. so my question is should i even put money towards it. and how much would u give him if u were me.

Thanks
I also wouldn't buy a vehicle that was questionable as to it's history. You are still going to be putting in a sizeable amount of money and you don't want to get stuck with a lemon. I notice that you are in NY - I just picked up one in the tri-state area and I know they are around. The hard part is finding an early year with relatively low miles. I ended up going for an '05MY with CPO - definitely more expensive but at least I know the prior service history from Lexus and from this point forward I will know everything that happens. No question that older LS' with low miles in good condition sell fast. I think the fact your buddy has had this one on his lot for a while tells you everything you need to know . . . How good a friend is this anyway?

Andrew