LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Today's rant about parts prices

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-10, 08:45 PM
Atl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Today's rant about parts prices

I went to the dealer to replace the seat ventilation filter, so I can have a cool bum and back. It was not hard to take out, and was full of dust, etc. So, I called Auto Zone, and Pep Boys, both said they don't have it, So I go to the dealer for it. Mind you I only bought one for the drivers seat, it's about the size of half a Hershey chocolate bar, it's tiny. It's plastic and paper.

$41.00 !!!!!! Are they crazy! I told the girl that takes your money, "I usually get a kiss before being screwed", she was not amused. Nobody has a sense of humor anymore.

Further, it did not make much difference, that I can tell. Should have saved my $41.00's

Last edited by Atl; 09-14-10 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-15-10, 04:45 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope you at least had a cup of coffee and a danish while you were there.
Old 09-15-10, 04:55 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Wow that's pretty high - you definitely should have got a kiss (with a little tongue) for that price.

Most local dealers are shameless gougers. I did a quick look on line...its $23.76 at Lexus parts now (plus shipping).
Old 09-16-10, 08:09 PM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Wow that's pretty high - you definitely should have got a kiss (with a little tongue) for that price.

Most local dealers are shameless gougers. I did a quick look on line...its $23.76 at Lexus parts now (plus shipping).
Thanks! I feel better now.
Old 09-17-10, 03:15 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the high price here is due to the relatively low demand for this particular filter. For instance, AC filter is larger by design, is of the charcoal type, yet costs much less due to the high demand which drops the price.

By the way, all the filter does it keeps your seats from staining in high dust areas. My AC already has two filters, so i've had mine taken off (seat filters) years ago with "cooler" results.
Old 09-17-10, 05:12 AM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I think the high price here is due to the relatively low demand for this particular filter. For instance, AC filter is larger by design, is of the charcoal type, yet costs much less due to the high demand which drops the price.

By the way, all the filter does it keeps your seats from staining in high dust areas. My AC already has two filters, so i've had mine taken off (seat filters) years ago with "cooler" results.
It won't hurt the fan motor?? If so, I am taking it off! It blows little to nothing as it is!
Old 09-17-10, 06:01 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone post up a how to of where these are and how to remove them? I'm all for that.
Old 09-17-10, 06:46 AM
derpie
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
Can someone post up a how to of where these are and how to remove them? I'm all for that.
Ditto on that
Old 09-17-10, 07:07 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

The under seat filter is very easy to remove - the key is moving the seat up and around so that you can get easy access. As I remember you just pull it out as it just clips into its frame. I don't know if I'd leave it out entirely - but it may be fine to leave out - my car is 5 years old and I'm pretty sure seat filters are original and they look like brand new - not a trace of dirt or duct on them. So if you keep your car pretty strac then I think it would be fine to just remove the filters.

Not sure on overall improvement effect tho as they seem pretty non restrictive but its certainly worth a try.
Old 09-17-10, 08:55 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm not sure that removing the filters is a good idea. They are located in a place that probably exposes them to the dirtiest environment in the car. They are right behind your feet. Getting in and out of the car you track a lot of dirt that can't be helped. Further you stir it up while getting in and out. My filters were really dirty when I replaced them. I don't think most people are even aware they are there and don't maintain them.

I think if you allow all this dirt/dust to go into you seat it could build up and start to restrict the flow through the seat. Further, we all know that there is not a high air flow thru the seat cooling. Low flow mean a very low pressure drop across the filter. It's probably so low that it doesn't make any significant difference in air flow until the filter gets very dirty.

I don't want my seats plugged up with dirt/dust. I believe a clean filter is the best way to get the best cooling for the seats and maintain that for the long run.
Old 09-17-10, 05:10 PM
m3nv
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL that comment is hilarious!
Old 09-17-10, 05:11 PM
m3nv
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, which dealer in Atlanta did you go to?
Old 09-17-10, 05:17 PM
slclexus
Rookie

My GF won't let me get screwed that hard unless she gets to participate. Forty-one bucks!?? Or even twenty-whatever. Holy cow!

I constructed my own out of a frame glued together with toothpicks and several Kleenex pulled taut and held in place with rubber bands.

No. Not really.

It's Friday night and the suds are doing the talking.

Doc
Old 09-17-10, 05:18 PM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by m3nv
BTW, which dealer in Atlanta did you go to?
It was Gwinnett Hennessy Lexus. Girl cashier was fairly hot blonde, a strong 7, but did not find my comment amusing. Whatever...

NOT my favorite dealer, Nalley is much better, but they are down the street from my girlfriend's house, and Nalley did not have any in stock, they said not much call for them. I now know why.

Last edited by Atl; 09-17-10 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-17-10, 05:33 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lol just called my local dealer about a shift **** and they wanted $545 for it.

Quick Reply: Today's rant about parts prices