LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Please: Talk me out of it!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-10, 06:13 AM
94LSon20
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the 400, I had a 94 before i bought my 01 430 UL and I miss it everyday. I took mine to the dealer with 103K on it and the Lexus dealer offered me 13K if I traded it in towards an 07 460. I ended up not buying a 460.

The 430 has been great, I just worry about when my air suspension is going to go. Ive heard 35K miles and 120K miles, and when it does it means $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Final decision: Keep the 400. Buy the UL (work the price down if possible, 17 is a little high) but you will not regret buying the 430, best car I have ever owned
Old 09-16-10, 10:41 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your '94 sounds like a peach. I'd drive it into the ground, especially in this economy.
Old 09-16-10, 11:28 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
Hmm, I know I say this all the time with silver cars but I'd just rather err on the side of caution with my fellow car enthusiasts... but the paint on that car seriously looks all wrong. It literally appears as if the front half is a different shade of silver from the back half. Silver paint is tough to match but even some of the gaps appear inconsistent on this car.

Run a thorough Carfax and Autocheck history on it and ensure it doesn't have any accidents. More importantly, have a body shop check for paint-work. If as much of that car has been messed with as it looks like, I would pass.

Obviously, I'm not going to convince you out of an LS430, its an amazing car. However you should be prepared for the fact that the LS400 and the 430 are on different planes as far as overall durability and reliability. We're still talking about a Lexus, so you won't be disappointed, but you need to ensure that the vehicle was meticulously maintained or you could face problems down the line. Whereas the LS400, and especially the early 90s ones were somewhat of an anomaly in the luxury car world (being that you could almost ignore those cars and they'd keep on running), the 430 tends to be more in line with what you should expect from a used luxury vehicle.

The Ultra Luxury has an air suspension that can be very expensive to repair if it fails, power door closers that can fail and other general high end luxury items that can be problematic, so make sure everything runs and works smoothly.

By the way, if your credit is good enough to score a 4.5 percent rate and there's an insufficient supply of these cars in your local region... Why not go somewhere else? This is not a small purchase we're talking about here. I must be one of the few people willing to travel halfway across the country for a car.
Good eye PLAY,

something isnt right there.

The color looks a bit off and more importantly the lines on one side of the car do not seem to match up perfectly.

Be very careful on this one---always approach a buy like this with caution and dont let your wants and desire of the car cloud your descision.

Also your paying too much.

Good luck
Old 09-16-10, 11:40 AM
4DGS
Driver

If it's not costing you anything, it's making you money.
Old 09-16-10, 12:35 PM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... but the paint on that car seriously looks all wrong. It literally appears as if the front half is a different shade of silver from the back half ....
Think that may be one of the dangers in using online pictures as a guideline. If you'll look at the first pic, the back looks darker (on my monitor), in the second, the front looks darker and the third, the back looks darker again.

I have a silver '02 (have posted pics in CarGuy89's Flint Mica Thread) and depending on the time of day and from what angle viewed, the color varies considerably.

Just a subjective observation -

Will and the Fur Crew
Old 09-16-10, 12:46 PM
mewhee
Pole Position

[QUOTE=BT3100;5792205
What do you think? Should I keep the 94' or go with the 02'?
Joe[/QUOTE]

Hi Joe -

Ironically, last Spring we were in the same situation as you. Our LS400 was in perfect running order and looked great - not a scratch and everything worked except for a foggy digital temp readout. Then we got the 430 itch and considered selling the 400 while still in top shape from a resale standpoint. We actually wound up w/ not just one, but two LS430's due to how much we liked the first one and have never looked back.

Only you can make the big decision as to whether to jump ship but you're also in a most fortunate position in that you can afford to take your time looking for the RIGHT 430 as your 400 has already taken the major depreciation hit in years past so what have you got to lose by waiting for the perfect ride ?

That said, the one in the pic looks mighty tempting but as others have pointed out, it may be just a tad bit pricy for the mileage.

Good luck in your search -

Will and the Fur Crew

Last edited by mewhee; 09-16-10 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-16-10, 12:50 PM
Driver

My brother in law sold a lexus ls430 with 80k miles platinum edition 2003 for 12k IIRC, thats way high for that car.
Old 09-16-10, 01:04 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mewhee
Think that may be one of the dangers in using online pictures as a guideline. If you'll look at the first pic, the back looks darker (on my monitor), in the second, the front looks darker and the third, the back looks darker again.

I have a silver '02 (have posted pics in CarGuy89's Flint Mica Thread) and depending on the time of day and from what angle viewed, the color varies considerably.

Just a subjective observation -

Will and the Fur Crew
Its entirely possible that you are correct, particularly with a silver car as I mentioned before. However the problem with this particular car is that the color does not just seem to vary in intensity, but is starkly different from one panel to another in some of those photos. Also there's something weird going on on the front driver's fender where it meets the front bumper next to the headlight. I could be completely wrong as I can't put my hands on this car, but a proper inspection by someone trained to spot bodywork can't possibly hurt anyone.
Old 09-16-10, 02:09 PM
mewhee
Pole Position

... a proper inspection by someone trained to spot bodywork can't possibly hurt anyone.
Agree 100%. In fact, the internet is a wonderful tool but (imo) should be no more than a general first step in the buying process and certainly no substitute for an in person inspection.

To some degree, however, no matter how much due diligence is taken it's still a crap shoot of sorts. But, as Pasteur once said - Chance favors the prepared mind ...

Will and the Fur Crew
Old 09-16-10, 05:22 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks everyone!
If I do move forward here I will take her to the best body shop in the area.
I drove my LS 400 225 miles today and she is so nice. Seems like if I do pull the trigger I may regret it. Also looking at an 02' at Lexus of Lawrenceville NJ also has the UL package. Gonna take my time here.. Thanks again for your insights and recommendations, I appreciate your point of view.
Old 09-16-10, 05:33 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

A few more pics here...

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/1914846335.html

He has another here...

I hate the color (no offence to anyone with this color) I do like the interior color...

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/1951194897.html

Please tell me if these links are not allowed.. I will take them down.
Just want to buy the right car.. so if you think these are both cars to pass on just say it!
Old 09-16-10, 06:05 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BT3100
A few more pics here...

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/1914846335.html

He has another here...

I hate the color (no offence to anyone with this color) I do like the interior color...

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/1951194897.html

Please tell me if these links are not allowed.. I will take them down.
Just want to buy the right car.. so if you think these are both cars to pass on just say it!
I had that EXACT car a few years ago (the black cherry colored one). Same interior color and the exact same option package. I agree the color is definitely a hit or miss one. I didn't mind it. BUT, if you already hate the color, that is definitely not the car to buy.

Is there any chance you would consider a 2004 with the Premium Package? That is what I bought for 17.5k and I think that even though I don't have all the toys, I enjoy the updates on the car more than the older LSs (and a few things the older ones didn't even offer, like the Intelligent Keyless Ignition, swiveling headlights etc). Certainly at the prices this guy is asking for these a 2004 can be found close in price if not a little higher.

If you must have Navi and all of that, then you will probably have to stick with a 2001-2003.
Old 09-16-10, 06:22 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the rosewood(?) wood on the silver car. The black cherry car has what was eventually called the modern luxury package (don't know if it was called that in 02) and would not have the air suspension. The black cherry is a love / hate kind of color as sometimes it looks burgandy and other times purple. When I bought, I made lists of LS colors my wife and I liked and hated. I tried to keep my search to those colors I liked and she could at least tolerate. Flint mica was #1 on both of our like lists. Look at the bright side - if you don't like black cherry, cypress pearl, and briarwood pearl, they are three of the rarest colors.

While I was targeting an 05 or 06, I test drove a low mileage 03 for comparison. Aside from missing one gear in the trans and lacking the backup camera, Bluetooth, and smartaccess, it was the same driving experience as an 04-06 for less $$. If you can live without the rather lame nav unit, a low miles 02-03 premium should be a good find at a good price. You can buy better nav and Bluetooth setups. You'll have to hit the button on the remote to open the doors and insert the key into the ignition, but your battery won't be drained if you go away for three weeks because the smartaccess kept looking for a fob.
Old 09-16-10, 06:55 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caddyowner
You'll have to hit the button on the remote to open the doors and insert the key into the ignition, but your battery won't be drained if you go away for three weeks because the smartaccess kept looking for a fob.
I thought that is what the button under the steering column knee panel was for... to disable Smart Access if the car will sit for a while.

Looks are certainly subjective, but I also tend to find the '04 to '06 more handsome than the '01-'03.
Old 09-16-10, 07:02 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought that is what the button under the steering column knee panel was for... to disable Smart Access if the car will sit for a while.
Yes - if you remember it is there and remember to turn it off.

Quick Reply: Please: Talk me out of it!!