LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Please: Talk me out of it!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-10, 08:13 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I ended up with Black Cherry on my 06 LS430 even tho is was far from my favorite - but in the end I bought the car based on its being in showroom condition and having only 14k miles. I admit the black cherry did take some getting used to, but I can say that when the car is freshly washed and waxed the black cherry paint looks a mile deep and glows - really amazing. A good friend says that my car looks like the only color object in a black and white world. The BC color is also unique and relatively easy to find in parking lots.

When you are buying used you have to be a little more pragmatic about color than buying new. The only color LS I would have rejected no matter how mint the car was is black. The LS looks good in black but black paint color in Texas turns the car into an easy-bake oven in the summer, plus it is a pita to keep clean.
Old 09-16-10, 08:29 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I ended up with Black Cherry on my 06 LS430 even tho is was far from my favorite - but in the end I bought the car based on its being in showroom condition and having only 14k miles. I admit the black cherry did take some getting used to, but I can say that when the car is freshly washed and waxed the black cherry paint looks a mile deep and glows - really amazing. A good friend says that my car looks like the only color object in a black and white world. The BC color is also unique and relatively easy to find in parking lots.

When you are buying used you have to be a little more pragmatic about color than buying new. The only color LS I would have rejected no matter how mint the car was is black. The LS looks good in black but black paint color in Texas turns the car into an easy-bake oven in the summer, plus it is a pita to keep clean.
Funny, the only color I would likely reject (and like you said, only to a reasonable extent) is silver. Because it seems that every car in this world is silver these days. Its pretty, but it seems to blend in way too much.

I always liked my Black Cherry car. I thought it was like having my own personal factory applied candy paint treatment without looking ridiculous.
Old 09-17-10, 08:05 AM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Silver color is just TOO~~~ common. It looks nice no question but kinda boring. It is a save color though. Now, I think White is good (even better with dark gray or blk int.)
Old 09-18-10, 05:01 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

*********UPDATE*********

I found a Crystal White 2002 UL at a the Lexus dealer in Princeton NJ.
They had it listed at $15,200... At the end of the day their best offer was $13,000 out the door. Here are the issues.
1) Car has 113,000 on the clock and the timing belt was not done. I tried to have this replaced when the deal was $13,800 they would not do the work but took $800 more off...
2) Car is clean but not perfect. Small tear in driver seat (they are gonna repair) Headliner is not 100% clean..
3) One of the wheel caps is missing
4) Trunk has a musty odor ( seems like they shampooed the carpets but did not leave open.
5) The rims are beat, paint bubbles and some rust... will need to be blasted and resprayed..
Carfax was clean but was offered without any warranty... I asked for and recieved a 30 day 1,000 mile warranty...

She drove like a dream...
They offered me $2000 for my 94' LS with 190,000... I may just keep..

Here is the car
http://www.lawrencelexus.com/VehicleDetails/822862163

Any feedback..

Last edited by BT3100; 09-18-10 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-18-10, 06:16 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BT3100
*********UPDATE*********

I found a Crystal White 2002 UL at a the Lexus dealer in Princeton NJ.
They had it listed at $15,200... At the end of the day their best offer was $13,000 out the door. Here are the issues.
1) Car has 113,000 on the clock and the timing belt was not done. I tried to have this replaced when the deal was $13,800 they would not do the work but took $800 more off...
2) Car is clean but not perfect. Small tear in driver seat (they are gonna repair) Headliner is not 100% clean..
3) One of the wheel caps is missing
4) Trunk has a musty odor ( seems like they shampooed the carpets but did not leave open.
5) The rims are beat, paint bubbles and some rust... will need to be blasted and resprayed..
Carfax was clean but was offered without any warranty... I asked for and recieved a 30 day 1,000 mile warranty...

She drove like a dream...
They offered me $2000 for my 94' LS with 190,000... I may just keep..

Here is the car
http://www.lawrencelexus.com/VehicleDetails/822862163

Any feedback..
Just checked Lexus service history and it looks like this car has been painted once and has body work completed twice
The car fax does not show this so maybe it was minor... but not feelin good..
Old 09-18-10, 06:28 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would keep looking for a lower mileage car, in better condition, that has had maintenance done per schedule.

Just read your update. There are other fish in the sea...
Old 09-18-10, 06:38 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Man, that just goes to prove my theory that it pretty much doesn't matter WHERE you a buy a car in NJ and NY, the standards are ALWAYS lower. A Lexus dealer in the mid-west or South would not even have kept that car to sell.

Great work checking the history and spotting those issues sooner rather than later. Like you said, these could have been minor things, but why even tempt fate. There are plenty of them so keep lookin!
Old 09-19-10, 06:48 AM
Rspencer55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed - that car would have been wholesaled in the Chicagoland area. I personally would hold out for a better, more well maintained car. If you are financing, an extra thousand or two is not going to make a significant difference and you could save that amount but not having to do all those repairs. If cost is a factor, maybe you should go down a notch to say, a premium rather than an UL.
Old 09-19-10, 07:34 AM
Jabberwock

Let's see 113k miles and no timing belt (indicates deferred maint), rims are beat, blistered paint, previous damage/repaint, car is dirty and it smells...and only $13K? If those are the flaws you noticed before you buy there will be many more that become apparent after you buy the car. Who knows how much rust is still hidden and about to pop. Once a car shows rust coming up through the paint its pretty much a goner without serious rehab ($$$). If you were trying to sell that same car it to those guys they would offer you 7-8 k max. Run don't walk away from that deal.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 09-19-10 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-22-10, 04:20 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Guys... here is my final question... Thanks in advance for any direction..

I have come down to two cars..

1) 02' 430 with 113K miles UL package. Will need some cleaning etc. I may have undersold it a bit. The rust I spoke of was on the rims only... Still only in fair to good condition. Will need 90K mile service completed and a full detail...
I can get the car for $12,300 would look to finance for 3 years at $310 month with $3700 down...

2) 03' 430 with 73,000 miles ML Package . Car is showroom condition. Flawless with full Lexus service history. They will not go any lower than $18,700.... $4000 down for 5 years at 8.99% $335...

I drive 25K-30K per year...

I just about sold my LS 400 on Ebay 20 minutes left and it had been bid up to $3300....
Old 09-22-10, 04:27 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

If I were *forced* to choose between those two cars, I am obviously going to choose the better kept, better maintained car at the higher price. There is no way I am going to put you in that other car just because its cheaper... especially considering it has 30,000 more miles with as much as you drive. I actually have more of a problem with the 8.99 percent than the 18,700 price tag...
Old 09-22-10, 05:46 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
If I were *forced* to choose between those two cars, I am obviously going to choose the better kept, better maintained car at the higher price. There is no way I am going to put you in that other car just because its cheaper... especially considering it has 30,000 more miles with as much as you drive. I actually have more of a problem with the 8.99 percent than the 18,700 price tag...

Thanks for the feedback... The 8.99 was the best they could do with the age of the car and price combo. They offered me 4.5% on an 06' but that is too much for me right now.
Old 09-22-10, 07:24 PM
Jabberwock

You may not like this advice but I can't help myself so I apologize in advance, absolutely nothing personal. I suggest you buy a $2500 dollar used Accord or Camry and pay cash. And drive it 4 years until you have saved $15k or so (putting $325monthx48 in the bank). Then buy a nice used 06 LS430. So there you go - get off the "easy payments" treadmill, quit paying the man interest. Then after you save your own money and finally do get your LS you can really enjoy it because that sucker will be 100% paid. YMMV just a suggestion - and please feel free to completely ignore my post..everybody has a right to live and play their own way...its all good.
Old 09-22-10, 08:16 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jabberwock, I don't disagree with you... Many of us have a hard time balancing between needs and wants...

Based on your original post BT3100,

"I have owned a 94' LS 400 for the past 3 years. During this time I have put 120K miles on this car, she now has 199K. She runs as good as the day I bought her. I have treated her well (mobil 1 every 3500 etc) and she has returned the favor."

It sounds like your pretty happy with your current LS400, its been pretty trouble free, and you've taken good care of it. They're great cars regardless of year. I own both a 91LS and an 05LS. I enjoy driving both of them. Maybe delaying until you can save some more cash to put down, or optimally pay cash for the car, would be a good choice. Keep your current ride and put that $335 into a separate account every month for the next few years...
Old 09-23-10, 07:07 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Thanks Everyone!!
I appreciate all advice, even the advice about saving more. I have more to put down, but I decided $4000 was enough and with my auto allowance from work I wil have a net zero payment. I took my mechanic with me today and we went over the car with a fine tooth comb for 90 minutes. They love me at the dealership
At the end of the day I went with the 02' with 113K miles taking into consideration all of the feedback that everyone posted. I needed a more modern ride and with the amount of driving I do I wanted something with fewer miles than my 94'. That said I was able to get the 02' for $11,500... That was $7000 less than the 03' with 73,000 miles. I weighed the pros and cons. Spoke to my mechanic and decided that $7000 was just too much to spend for 40,000 miles. My mechanic laughed at me when he saw the car. He said you acted like this car was a piece of *****. After looking at it for 90 minutes he said it needs a good cleaning and you need a good workout so that should mesh up well
Aside from that he reported no major issues. I will keep you posted on anything else.

Quick Reply: Please: Talk me out of it!!