LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Please: Talk me out of it!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-10, 07:34 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Please: Talk me out of it!!

I have been a member here for quite some time (user ID not working?) so now I am a newbie. I have owned a 94' LS 400 for the past 3 years. During this time I have put 120K miles on this car, she now has 199K. She runs as good as the day I bought her. I have treated her well (mobil 1 every 3500 etc) and she has returned the favor. At this point I am ready (I think) to move on to a newer car. I found an amazing 02' LS 430 with the UL package (I know...) that is beautiful. The price is right and the 60 month rate is 4.5%! 103K miles with the 90K service completed. Body is 100% and interior is close to 100%.
My 94' is a beast... Never an issue, perfect in just about every way...
But I fell for the 430... Please give me your opinion..
The 430 is $17,200 I found 4 others in the area nothing even close in price. These cars sell fast in the PA, NJ area and no one wants to move on the price at all.. I beat the hell out of a few dealers..
Here are some pics of the 430..
What do you think? Should I keep the 94' or go with the 02'?
Thanks
Joe
Attached Thumbnails Please: Talk me out of it!!-p8090007-1.jpg   Please: Talk me out of it!!-p8090010-1.jpg   Please: Talk me out of it!!-p8090005-1.jpg   Please: Talk me out of it!!-p8090013.jpg   Please: Talk me out of it!!-p8090018-1.jpg  

Old 09-15-10, 07:36 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Joe, please PM me your other user ID and I'll look into the issue.
Old 09-15-10, 07:50 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd keep the 94 and add a 430 to your collection! I have a 91 and an 05...

The UL on a car approaching 10 years old would turn me off a bit. I'd definitely use it as a bargaining chip in a negotiation. I also think the price is too high. I bought a 2005 LS430, Black on Black, Premium, 18" wheels, plus a few extras with 90k miles for just over $19k, in excellent condition. They did the TB & WP service. They also installed a new OEM windshield (couple of small chips), installed a new Lexus battery, serpentine belt, spark plugs, wires, and a small Dent Wizard fix on it. I bought it from a Lexus dealer... All in for the $19k...
Old 09-15-10, 07:53 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, I know I say this all the time with silver cars but I'd just rather err on the side of caution with my fellow car enthusiasts... but the paint on that car seriously looks all wrong. It literally appears as if the front half is a different shade of silver from the back half. Silver paint is tough to match but even some of the gaps appear inconsistent on this car.

Run a thorough Carfax and Autocheck history on it and ensure it doesn't have any accidents. More importantly, have a body shop check for paint-work. If as much of that car has been messed with as it looks like, I would pass.

Obviously, I'm not going to convince you out of an LS430, its an amazing car. However you should be prepared for the fact that the LS400 and the 430 are on different planes as far as overall durability and reliability. We're still talking about a Lexus, so you won't be disappointed, but you need to ensure that the vehicle was meticulously maintained or you could face problems down the line. Whereas the LS400, and especially the early 90s ones were somewhat of an anomaly in the luxury car world (being that you could almost ignore those cars and they'd keep on running), the 430 tends to be more in line with what you should expect from a used luxury vehicle.

The Ultra Luxury has an air suspension that can be very expensive to repair if it fails, power door closers that can fail and other general high end luxury items that can be problematic, so make sure everything runs and works smoothly.

By the way, if your credit is good enough to score a 4.5 percent rate and there's an insufficient supply of these cars in your local region... Why not go somewhere else? This is not a small purchase we're talking about here. I must be one of the few people willing to travel halfway across the country for a car.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 09-15-10 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-15-10, 07:55 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Price is definitely high, especially for a high mileage car. My 04 ML with 25k miles and CPO warranty ran 25.2k. Don't be afraid to expand your search area, as 430s outside of your area might not be as in high demand. Also, take the vin number and run car fax, auto check, and lexus service site to make sure the car is indeed in good shape. I would probably not go over 15k for that car.
Old 09-15-10, 08:02 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Thanks for the feedback
I will check that paint very very carefully.
My credit it great (not to brag) but I even went to the local Lexus dealers Cherry Hill, Lehigh Valley... None of them deal years under 95'...
Appreciate your feedback.. It has helped a great deal!
Old 09-15-10, 08:16 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

If you do decide to move forward with this one, go here --> https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/ and register a new account for yourself. Then add the LS430's VIN to your profile. You will then be able to see every service ever done to the car at any Lexus dealership. There should be roughly 5k miles between all service intervals for that car.

I have heard that the admins of the Lexus Driver's site tend to frown upon adding too many VINs to your profile, so only do it if you are relatively sure on a particular car.
Old 09-15-10, 08:20 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
If you do decide to move forward with this one, go here --> https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/ and register a new account for yourself. Then add the LS430's VIN to your profile. You will then be able to see every service ever done to the car at any Lexus dealership. There should be roughly 5k miles between all service intervals for that car.

I have heard that the admins of the Lexus Driver's site tend to frown upon adding too many VINs to your profile, so only do it if you are relatively sure on a particular car.
Thanks Playdrv4me!
I registered for my LS 400 so I will add this car and see what turns up.
I won't pull the trigger unless I am 100% on this car. Would rather take my time than make a costly mistake. Thanks again for all of the feedback!
Old 09-15-10, 08:20 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

I know exactly your situation, I just sold my 1994 Legend. It also treated me very well too, yet sold for a price so low it didnt pay the sales tax on the Lexus. I was very tempted to keep the car. I chose to say bye ....

Sadly, you'll likely find the re-sale market for your '94 is not going to get you much - yet it has treated you well. What you should you do here is hard to say.

But as you know, every year you keep this car, and not buy something newer, is another year without a car payment. Good luck.
Old 09-15-10, 08:26 PM
Jabberwock

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Since you are not in a hurry to buy the LS as you have a great car already, why not wait for a lower mile LS430 to come along. I know these are long life cars but I would recommend you not spend $17k on an 8 year old car with over 100k miles on it.

Be patient and find one with no more than 50-60k miles on it for not much more $.

Then if you drive it for 5-10k miles and don't like it or want something newer, you will still be able to sell it for a reasonable price. Prices for older used cars with over 100k on them tend to fall off a cliff.

I sold my 99 Acura RL in mint condition with 136k on it last year for $6500 - I had to keep dropping price and and it took over a month to sell and only one person came to look in all that time. And they bought it - first buyer to look always buys my used cars : ) If I had room I would have kept it.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 09-15-10 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-15-10, 08:26 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 211 Likes on 172 Posts

Buy a newer ls and keep the old one. When my dad got his new rx, my es was in question whther or not to be traded or kept. It was perfect in every way with a 100k and only offered 4500 at the time, figured why not and kept it, best decision hes made in a while. Hopefully you find the ls you are looking for soon
Old 09-15-10, 09:31 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We should just sticky this or something. This is definitely the most helpful Lexus buying tool. It helped me uncover several cars involved in accidents. Those cars had a clean car fax. Everyone who is considering a Lexus needs to run their prospective car through this before going for a first test drive.
Old 09-15-10, 10:06 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did that and all the service is normal, except that they charged a "non-oem theft deterrent system install/R&R" to my car 5 days after I bought it. I did not buy it locally and it does not have any non-oem parts. I think I'm going to give them a call...
Old 09-15-10, 10:20 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Oh dear...
Old 09-16-10, 05:21 AM
abs
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree that the paint looks off in the first picture. Driver's side rear door looks much darker than the hood/fender and driver's side front door. Also looks like something going on with the front bumper under the driver's side headlight.

I've learned by experience over the years that the best inspection to have done is always to bring the car to a trusted high end body shop and have one of the top people in the shop inspect the car for prior body work. A trained eye should be able to determine very quickly if anything has been repainted and/or if any body work has been done. IMHO this is even more important than a mechanical inspection because worn out parts can always be replaced and effectively made new again. Once a car has been in a collision and repaired, that's it, nothing more can be done and will never be close to new again no matter who did the work on it.

Oh, one other thing, I think you can get 3.0% at PennFed Credit Union, check it out.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Please: Talk me out of it!!