Old 09-16-10, 09:53 PM
Twix
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering wheel column (bushes)?

Hi guys,
I f***ed up a bit

What actually happened

My steering wheel locked (second time) and I already read about a drill to giggle it left and right while the steering is busy reclining up and down from the moment I push the *** in (I have smart access)...

So I did that - didn't work, and then I lost it and started forcing steering wheel seriously up-down-left-right...

I ended up - putting my car on a truck - straight to Lexus...

They took everything under dash out, found the steering lock mechanism, and took it out and under my instruction - grinded the problematic pin so it never happens again (steering lock occurs on a lot of LS430)....

Cause of all the forcible and fury based shaking now my steering wheel column moves on all the sides for around 1/2 inch, doe it doesn't interfere with the steering while I'm driving on the road...

The tech. told me that I damaged the bushes that are in the steering wheel column itself, and Lexus only sell the whole steering column (it comes even with the new lock mechanism)...it's around $1500!

Anyone knows if I can get somehow the bushes kit or anything regarding this (ugly) problem?

Thanks guys

P.S.I found a steering wheel column on ebay, but my car is a right hand drive, so I'm not sure it will fit, and it's a bit too expensive to buy it for the bushes only...
Old 09-16-10, 10:12 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Twix
They took everything under dash out, found the steering lock mechanism, and took it out and under my instruction - grinded the problematic pin so it never happens again (steering lock occurs on a lot of LS430)....
Great.... Something else to look forward to. I can already envision the day this happens right in front of my Cadillac and Saab driving friends... "Haha, you bought a Lexus for its reliability and you can't even drive it!".

THANKS TOYOTA.
Old 09-16-10, 10:24 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

i had a problem with my lower universal joint in the steering rack. I was able to move the steering wheel up and down a bit. So they changed the universal joint and the bushings and everything was all good. The only problem was that they stretched the leather a lil on the fornt end of the seat and now I see a slight rippling effect and it pisses me off. These techs put their knees on that gentle leather. It is not made to handle sharp knees.........
Old 09-16-10, 11:40 PM
Twix
Pole Position

Hahhh, a small update...

Phoned Lexus again, and gave them the "reliability" story about the steering wheel lock and everything that happened, and the guy working in parts department ordered all the bushes and bearings that go in steering wheel column for $53.3!

So, conclusion: Lexus always tries to bull **** the customer like: "It comes as a whole unit only", charge the customer, then just order spare parts and recondition!

Pathetic (but I still managed to go OK)...