LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Its about that time!(timing belt)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-10, 12:39 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Its about that time!(timing belt)

Just recently hit that mark where with every mile the notion that a timing belt break is nagging at my conscience. Probably will not be able to get it changed until next month so should i be extra cautious about the type of driving im doing or do you think that doesnt matter at this point? Also thinking about doing the water pump at the same time to save on labor or should it just be inspected?
Attached Thumbnails Its about that time!(timing belt)-img00018-20100915-2253.jpg  
Old 09-17-10, 03:36 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The timing belt is a MAJOR job. I recommend that you do everything that's under the covers while it's apart,water pump,tensioners,oil seals...

It's a lot of labour to strip it back down again if the pump fails in a few thousand more miles.

Justin...
Old 09-17-10, 05:02 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently saw an episode of a UK auto repair show on changing the timing belt on some car. The host said the water pump should also be changed because the added tension of a new timing belt wil put additional stress on the old water pump and it is more likely to start leaking.
Old 09-17-10, 05:08 PM
m3nv
Pole Position

You should also probably flush all your fluids also...
Old 09-17-10, 05:43 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't have to drive differently, I routinely see LS400s and LS430s for sale with 100, 110, 125k for sale with no timing belt service. Mine was done at 92.

It is silly however, to not do the WP while you're in there. Yea, yea... I know its a Toyota part and it should last along time, but the next T-belt replacement won't be until 180k miles and its certainly doubtful it will last THAT long. So at some point, you're gonna be duplicating your work.
Old 09-17-10, 08:18 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 471 Likes on 362 Posts

+1 do the recommended parts swap, WP any idlers, seal/gaskets and like. Enough of the 400's have gone beyond the 90K interval and I don't recollect a discussion of a breaking TB. That's not to say it doesn't happen but most of us have done the TB in 90-125K miles.
Old 09-18-10, 09:22 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

It would be interesting to see at least one post on the forum from an owner with a broken timing belt. I have not seen one to date.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 09-18-10 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-18-10, 10:12 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi SSrfr -

Think all procrastinated maintenance is a roll of the dice. Most of us aren't going to put more than 175k on our rides so unless it's a monetary situation which holds you back, why wait as you're only gonna replace it once, giving you an additional 90k miles of insurance against a catastrophic failure and alleviating the nagging 'what if' ...

You're obviously conscientious about maintenance and concerned about the consequences so my vote would be to do it asap.

Good driving -

Will and the Fur Crew
Old 09-18-10, 12:11 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How much did you guys (for those of you who did do a timing belt already) pay? My dealer is recommending a timing belt change due to the fact that the car is 6 yrs old already (though I don't think age is really a huge factor...is it??). My SA said the parts cost $550, I'm assuming labor is going to be a ton more since it's such an intricate job.
Old 09-18-10, 01:45 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
It would be interesting see at least one post on the forum from an owner with a broken timing belt. I have not seen one to date.
I've seen one. Back when I worked at a toyota/lexus dealer the lexus side of the house threw out a VVT 1UZ that had thrown a belt and had smashed valves,wrecked a chamber on one the heads and had beaten up one of the pistons. They didn't rebuild it,just threw the whole thing into the scrap bin and bought in a brand new crate engine. I was driving a UCF11 at the time and took as much of it home as I could.

Justin...
Old 09-18-10, 06:42 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fergo308
I've seen one. Back when I worked at a toyota/lexus dealer the lexus side of the house threw out a VVT 1UZ that had thrown a belt and had smashed valves,wrecked a chamber on one the heads and had beaten up one of the pistons. They didn't rebuild it,just threw the whole thing into the scrap bin and bought in a brand new crate engine. I was driving a UCF11 at the time and took as much of it home as I could.

Justin...
What was the mileage? For some reason I thought the 1UZ in the LS400 was a non-interference engine.
Old 09-18-10, 06:43 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
How much did you guys (for those of you who did do a timing belt already) pay? My dealer is recommending a timing belt change due to the fact that the car is 6 yrs old already (though I don't think age is really a huge factor...is it??). My SA said the parts cost $550, I'm assuming labor is going to be a ton more since it's such an intricate job.
You absolutely DO NOT need to do your timing belt yet. Even if you go by the time interval instead of the miles interval, Toyota/Lexus recommends 9 years as the break point. That doesn't mean they're going to fail at 9 years, so 6 years is waay too early and is just a money maker for the dealership.
Old 09-18-10, 07:34 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Honestly,I don't remember as it was nearly 6 years ago now. I'm certainly no expert as I've not had a whole lot to do with them,but I was under the impression that the early Non-VVT engines were non-interference,and the later ones with higher compression were.

Justin...
Old 09-18-10, 11:01 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
You absolutely DO NOT need to do your timing belt yet. Even if you go by the time interval instead of the miles interval, Toyota/Lexus recommends 9 years as the break point. That doesn't mean they're going to fail at 9 years, so 6 years is waay too early and is just a money maker for the dealership.
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-18-10, 11:07 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Anytime

Quick Reply: Its about that time!(timing belt)