LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2006 audi a8 ????

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-10, 03:17 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

When you talk about BMW and I can not speak about Benz or Audi (the 4.2 V8 though has been an engine they hang their hat on for years)they make so many variations of the 3 5 and 7 M3 M5 model series drivelines and associated electronics that they open themselves up to problems. V6's, V8's, twin turbo's, various liter 6 and 8 cylinder designs how can they keep up with the engineering changes on all these cars as they show problems and then change them again year to year. LS 430 one motor, ES300, 330, 350 same motor just a tweek for a bit more HP every couple years just to justify a new model year to sell.

The 528 has good reports, the 540 not(and they make a 530 and a 535 and a 550). The 328 good reports the 335 or whatever it is with twin turbos who knows. The 7 series I know nothing about but you see different numbers on the back for the engines year in and year out it seems. It seems they are never happy and have to change things.

I admit I love how the BMW drives though but my tastes sour with problems as i have way other things to spend my money on.
Old 09-22-10, 03:26 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
When you talk about BMW and I can not speak about Benz or Audi (the 4.2 V8 though has been an engine they hang their hat on for years)they make so many variations of the 3 5 and 7 M3 M5 model series drivelines and associated electronics that they open themselves up to problems. V6's, V8's, twin turbo's, various liter 6 and 8 cylinder designs how can they keep up with the engineering changes on all these cars as they show problems and then change them again year to year. LS 430 one motor, ES300, 330, 350 same motor just a tweek for a bit more HP every couple years just to justify a new model year to sell.

The 528 has good reports, the 540 not(and they make a 530 and a 535 and a 550). The 328 good reports the 335 or whatever it is with twin turbos who knows. The 7 series I know nothing about but you see different numbers on the back for the engines year in and year out it seems. It seems they are never happy and have to change things.

I admit I love how the BMW drives though but my tastes sour with problems as i have way other things to spend my money on.
Anyone who knows BMW will tell you to avoid the V8s. Their strengths lie in their lengendary inline six and ALL of its variations (including the V12s, which are just two inline sixes mated together), from the 70s through today.Their V8s are just "OK". You didn't have much of a choice on the 7 Series, but fortunately for 2011, there is once again a "740i" and "740iL" model that has their amazing TT I6.
Old 09-22-10, 04:41 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
Anyone who knows BMW will tell you to avoid the V8s. Their strengths lie in their lengendary inline six and ALL of its variations (including the V12s, which are just two inline sixes mated together), from the 70s through today.Their V8s are just "OK". You didn't have much of a choice on the 7 Series, but fortunately for 2011, there is once again a "740i" and "740iL" model that has their amazing TT I6.
+1. The I-6s are the bulletproof engines from BMW. While the Twin Turbo version is hugely powerful and easily tuneable (I hear ppl getting 380+hp with just a chip and a simple tune), it is probably one of the most unreliable choices out there. I have spent a fair bit of time on the BMW forums before coming on here and it is commonplace to have x35 owners (with the TT engine) complain about HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) failures, as well as potential longevity issues with the engine/trans with the increased power. I would say the x28 versions are the best since they have a non-aspirated I-6. If you are looking for something like the 430, I would probably suggest the 528, since it does retain some characteristics of the 3 series but is far more luxurious.
Old 09-22-10, 05:48 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the education! I know little about BMW's, and I value your opinion, but if you ask ANYONE in a BMW dealership they will not tell you to avoid the V8's. Then true, it is too bad I need a larger car and the 5 series is too small.
Old 09-22-10, 05:56 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Thanks for the education! I know little about BMW's, and I value your opinion, but if you ask ANYONE in a BMW dealership they will not tell you to avoid the V8's. Then true, it is too bad I need a larger car and the 5 series is too small.
Well of course not! They want to sell you a car LOL

Let's be careful here. I did NOT say BMW V8s were BAD at all, I have owned a few and had VERY few problems personally. But on a grander scale, the V8s are more problematic than the inline sixes. But we are talking about an inline six that is to BMW what the 4.0L AMC inline six is to Jeep. Just in a whole different class of durability and reliability.

I had the BMW V8 in my Range Rover, X5 4.6iS and 745i and only in the 745i was it semi-problematic. Really that whole car was just worthless.
Old 09-22-10, 06:40 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

I think that the naturally aspirated ones are fine. I had a 530i with a 3.0L V8 that ran smoothly after 100+k miles. Watch out for the Twin Turbos though, as those come with fuel pump failures along with engine quality issues. The 750s all use a naturally aspirated V8 (remember you get 360 horses to play with). Those engines are pretty solid and shouldn't present any big problems (at least I've never heard of anything bad). Avoid the 745 as those shared the engine from a 545...which was pretty problematic as it seemed (bad engine/trans combo despite being NA).
Old 09-22-10, 06:41 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
Well of course not! They want to sell you a car LOL

Let's be careful here. I did NOT say BMW V8s were BAD at all, I have owned a few and had VERY few problems personally. But on a grander scale, the V8s are more problematic than the inline sixes. But we are talking about an inline six that is to BMW what the 4.0L AMC inline six is to Jeep. Just in a whole different class of durability and reliability.

I had the BMW V8 in my Range Rover, X5 4.6iS and 745i and only in the 745i was it semi-problematic. Really that whole car was just worthless.
Again, some very nice rides you have owned. You, sir, have great taste in cars (same as mine anyways lol)
Old 09-22-10, 06:43 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Avoid the 745 as those shared the engine from a 545...which was pretty problematic as it seemed (bad engine/trans combo despite being NA).
That's a very good observation. The ZF automatic transmission in my 2003 7 Series was absolute garbage. It was likely the worst part of the whole car.
Old 09-22-10, 06:49 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Again, some very nice rides you have owned. You, sir, have great taste in cars (same as mine anyways lol)
LOL, Thanks. I was fortunate to get to drive some very nice cars over the years.

The X5 was actually my brother's, but I am the one who did all the hard work to convince him to buy a car almost sight unseen from a private, used Ferrari dealer in North Carolina. Let me tell you, the beads of sweat were collecting on my face when I got to NC with the check, just hoping there were no unforeseen disasters after all that convincing.

That X5 turned out to be really rock solid and even came with a 4000.00 aftermarket warranty purchased by the previous owner (a Tobacco Executive from NC), and a Stage II Dinan kit.
Old 09-22-10, 06:58 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Not to get way off topic but we could probably walk about MB all night. Better, worse models?
Old 09-22-10, 08:00 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I think most of the 5 and 7 series late model BMWs force you to have the iDrive system...what I consider a laughably inept ergonomic nightmare. Certainly some folks love this kind of technology but I totally wrote off BMW until they get rid of iDrive or make drastic usability improvements. If the car forces the driver to use an inbuilt mouse and a screen to adjust the radio or AC system, I pass. Most of this crap ergonomics stuff will go away as voice commands take over all controls - cars in the not too distant future cars will have not have any buttons or mice - except maybe a few buttons or switches clustered on the steering wheel/yoke.
Old 09-23-10, 08:47 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I thought this was a Lexus forum.
Old 09-23-10, 09:07 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I think most of the 5 and 7 series late model BMWs force you to have the iDrive system...what I consider a laughably inept ergonomic nightmare. Certainly some folks love this kind of technology but I totally wrote off BMW until they get rid of iDrive or make drastic usability improvements. If the car forces the driver to use an inbuilt mouse and a screen to adjust the radio or AC system, I pass. Most of this crap ergonomics stuff will go away as voice commands take over all controls - cars in the not too distant future cars will have not have any buttons or mice - except maybe a few buttons or switches clustered on the steering wheel/yoke.
I actually quite like the idrive system. I used a newer version though, which now gives like 5 buttons as shortcuts to common access things. I never once felt the idrive was an "ergonomic nightmare". It allowed you to go from menu to menu quickly on a very crisp high res screen. One nice thing is the top blocks out the potential glare and always gives you a legible display. I had an 08 535i for nearly a week and took it everywhere, always thought the idrive was really cool and the bluetooth is especially nice as it imports all of your contacts automatically (I run an iphone, which is notorious for its bad bluetooth). You can scroll through them on the screen and such. Radio tuning was also the coolest thing setup I've ever seen (the display shows it as an older radio with a tuner that you operate via the idrive wheel to select your station). You may have had an experience with some of the first idrive systems, which I hear are difficult to use and slow (never used one myself).

@Jayclapp:
Idk, I am a fan of all cars as long as they are good. I have had a good experience with BMW which is why I am raving about them. My Lexus experience is probably more awesome to be honest as the LS430 trumps my previous 3 series in every category (other than handling and ease of parking). However, since the OP has already had Lexus experience (and seemed a bit less impressed than I am) I am just suggesting good alternatives. Since OP is looking for full-size luxury, the best deal is probably the 430 still (reliability, CPO, lots of luxury for 25-30k for a top-notch car). Everything else (the A8, 750, LS460, S500/S550) is more expensive. However, the 750 is probably the next cheapest to buy as I have seen a few in the lower 30s with CPO. I really like the 750 and haven't really heard too many horror stories with the newer 7. Since OP isn't all that familiar with BMW, we are just giving him some of our experiences with these cars. If I were spending that much money on a used luxury car, I would want to know all my options.
Old 09-23-10, 09:11 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Not to get way off topic but we could probably walk about MB all night. Better, worse models?
I am a huge fan of the S-class.... It's MB doing what MB does best. I rode in a 99 S320, one of the most comfortable cars I've ever been in, irons out bumps, extremely quiet, and very elegant looking...guess where Lexus got the inspiration of the 430 from lol
Old 09-23-10, 09:31 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Idk, I am a fan of all cars as long as they are good. I have had a good experience with BMW which is why I am raving about them. My Lexus experience is probably more awesome to be honest as the LS430 trumps my previous 3 series in every category (other than handling and ease of parking). However, since the OP has already had Lexus experience (and seemed a bit less impressed than I am) I am just suggesting good alternatives. Since OP is looking for full-size luxury, the best deal is probably the 430 still (reliability, CPO, lots of luxury for 25-30k for a top-notch car). Everything else (the A8, 750, LS460, S500/S550) is more expensive. However, the 750 is probably the next cheapest to buy as I have seen a few in the lower 30s with CPO. I really like the 750 and haven't really heard too many horror stories with the newer 7. Since OP isn't all that familiar with BMW, we are just giving him some of our experiences with these cars. If I were spending that much money on a used luxury car, I would want to know all my options.
+1... The best forums I am a part of have a free and open discussion of ALL cars, without un-needed bashing of any particular brand. Being here has proven to me for the most part, that the Lexus owner stereotype (and most stereotypes) of not appreciating automobiles in general is completely wrong. I really don't want to fall into that category and I love many different cars. Nor am I going to invalidate someone else's poor Lexus experience just because I believe all Lexuses are perfect. Everyone gets a bad car at some point.

Quick Reply: 2006 audi a8 ????