LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2006 audi a8 ????

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-10, 06:44 AM
dan812
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 audi a8 ????

I recently sold my 2004 430UL with 107k since it had air suspension issues, power mirrors didnt work - general UL issues I didnt want to deal with. The question is do I buy the same car with less miles or I can get a 06 A8 with 49k one owner for $25,000. Looking for ideas??
Old 09-20-10, 07:24 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest that if you do go for another 430 avoid the UL pack unless you get driven around a lot. I have the ML and feel that it is probably the best package if you drive the car yourself all the time (the premium level should be most reliable).

I do like the A8 a lot though. I say that if your have had the 430 for a while, why not try out its competition? I also like the E66 750i/li a lot.... After a while if you don't feel these cars were up to par with the 430, then you can get back into one knowing that it is the best luxo car there is.
Old 09-20-10, 10:33 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

The A8's are really nice cars, however I do know of one regular problem that they have. They have a problem with the closing of the trunk, and some electrical problems. I'm not sure how the 06's are when it comes to these problems so research well before you hop in one. Another thing to think about is all A8's have air suspension. You are familiar with the 430's already so I would pick up an 06 if I were you.

On another note I was on the 405 last night and saw a car with some freaky (in a good way) headlights coming up from behind me, so I move over so I could see what it was. It was a 2011 A8 with the full LED headlights. It looks less sleek and slightly bulkier in a 7 series way, but it looks pretty good and the headlights and tail lights look out of this world at night!

Good luck with your choice.
Old 09-20-10, 11:11 AM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by dan812
I recently sold my 2004 430UL with 107k since it had air suspension issues, power mirrors didnt work - general UL issues I didnt want to deal with. The question is do I buy the same car with less miles or I can get a 06 A8 with 49k one owner for $25,000. Looking for ideas??
Why not a LS 460? At least test drive it. You can at least get it without air suspension which is what i opted for.

Its a totally different car than the LS 430. Anyone who tells you otherwise is in denial. I own a LS400 and a LS460. I used to own a LS430. Its as big of a jump from my LS 400 to the LS 430 going from the LS 430 to the LS 460 if not more.

My neighbor had the A8 and he got rid of it within a year.

Keep in mind the LS 460 is quite a bit more moneywise. Maybe get a LS430 with no air suspension.

Last edited by elite7; 09-20-10 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-20-10, 11:18 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree w/ j 3 that the A8's are great looking cars but reliability is another story. Would hate to see you move from the so called frying pan to the fire in terms of mechanical and electrical problems. As also mentioned, you could lessen your reliability risk by moving to an '06 but definitely would stick w/ either a CL or ML rather than a UL.

Sounds like you've got somewhat of a bad taste in your mouth re: the LS430 but think you're in the minority. Of course, you're in a Lexus Forum so objectivity could be (and most likely will be) slanted towards the LS.

Whatever you decide - good luck !
Old 09-20-10, 11:31 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

A8 also has airbags. A buddie had an Allroad Audi and talked about some sky high costs to repair including airbages and intercoolers where they had to drop the engine to repair the lines.

I was thinking of an A8 also as they handle nice but i clicked on reliability ratings and saw a long list of things i wanted no part of compared to how tried and true my LS is. I get tired of the barcolounger ride once in a while but throw some unexplained overengineered repair costs at me and I will tire real soon of any car. Hit indvidual ratings from consumers and you will see what i mean. Otherwise get a warrantee!!
Old 09-20-10, 12:19 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I can certainly see why you would want an A8, it is an absolutely spectacular car in the sense of handling, appearance, and power. However, that car as to be expected with an Audi, comes with a fair warning about overall reliability. The best advice I can give you is that it entirely depends on how much you value your vehicle driving characteristics, versus the value of your time. It should go without saying that if you buy an A8, you will most DEFINITELY purchase a substantial warranty to go along with it.

Of course even with a warranty, you will be looking at the major inconvenience of dealing with bringing the car in for service, obtaining transportation and so on and so forth. If you are willing to live with the potential of all of those inconveniences, there are few vehicles out there as rewarding as an Audi to drive. Also, Audi's interiors are a cut above BMWs and have been for some time, even though BMWs are more reliable overall, and maybe even more enjoyable to drive.

The bottom line is this... You were disappointed with the LS430 because your UL had problems, but you are looking at a car that is sure to only result in the same or more problems down the road. So I honestly don't think it is a good fit for you.

As with the advice above, I would strongly suggest coming back to a 430 but with the ML or CL packages, and skipping the UL. I think that if you start out with a car less prone to problems, you will enjoy it a lot more. Unfortunately, at the 25K mark there isn't a whole lot I would buy other than a 430 in the full size luxury car world right now. 25k will easily get you the A8 you mentioned, a mid-2000s W220 S Class, or an E6x 7 Series, and the S and 7 from that generation are NOT very desirable cars, and known for reliability problems (these are the years when Mercedes was suffering the worst). Even the LS460 is significantly above this price point, and if you enjoy the characteristics that make an A8 what it is, I don't think that you will find it to be an improvement worth the extra cost.

In fact, if I were to have to deal with reliability issues, my vote at the 25k number would actually be for a luxury SUV such as the Range Rover, or even the LX470 if I wanted a reliable luxury SUV. In fact, the LX470 is what I would choose if I had my LS430 to do over again... even over an LS460. I am in the minority however in that there is not a specific reason why I buy a large luxury car versus a large luxury SUV. Most people tend to not want to deal with SUV fuel economy.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 09-20-10 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-20-10, 06:55 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Does it have the Sport Package? And keyless would be nice?
Old 09-21-10, 05:46 AM
dan812
Rookie

no sport package - yes Keyless
Old 09-21-10, 06:33 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I too would love to own a car like an A8. When they are running they are great cars, but they are not reliable enough. The headache and expense of repairs on Audis means the best way to drive a car like this is to lease the car for the period its covered by a full factory warranty. When the warranty expires, trade it in for a new one.

I have owned an Audi ( great car ) and if I ever do again ( not likely ) this is the route I would consider.
Old 09-21-10, 12:53 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Or buy it used with a bulletproff warrantee to 100 k and sell it. I did see some good reports from people on the net and I called the Audi dealer and got some good vibes.

the sport pkg with paddle shifters would be a blast. Looking at the reviews from owners on Edmunds many seem to rave about the car. get the warrantee and get the car if it checks out mechanically and serice recoerd wise. All wheel drive git er!!
Old 09-21-10, 01:50 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Like many people are saying get one with warranty. I did a quick search and it seems like CPOs are roughly 40k, which is quite a lot more than the 25 you were looking at. I do tend to hear a lot of horror stories from Merc and Audi owners about weird electronic issues. My friend with an A4 had his entire electrical system/interface fail on his dashboard and he told me it was near $1k to repair...and that's just an A4 lol. This moved me away from an A8 as the ones with warranty were very expensive. They are great, but you must ask yourself, are they $15k better than the 430?
Old 09-21-10, 03:36 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Like many people are saying get one with warranty. I did a quick search and it seems like CPOs are roughly 40k, which is quite a lot more than the 25 you were looking at. I do tend to hear a lot of horror stories from Merc and Audi owners about weird electronic issues. My friend with an A4 had his entire electrical system/interface fail on his dashboard and he told me it was near $1k to repair...and that's just an A4 lol. This moved me away from an A8 as the ones with warranty were very expensive. They are great, but you must ask yourself, are they $15k better than the 430?
Oh yeah they are very expensive to repair. , and even dealership service involves many visits for the same complaint. So they are not easily repaired. That is why you need the warranty, and thats why they are expensive with a warranty !
Old 09-21-10, 04:14 PM
Atl
Driver

Get the Audi, no question! I will be doing the same next year. These cars (Lexus), in my opinion, are like all Japanese cars, after 100,000 miles, they fall apart. The Germans, except Mercedes, KNOW how to build a car for the long run. Porsche, Audi, BMW, all GREAT cars, and more reliable than my Lexus. I have had 3 BMW's and never had any in the shop for anything. Lexus, average reliability, at least that has been my experience with a LS 400 and a LS 430 now. And the Germans DON'T USE TIMING BELTS! They use chains. Why Lexus uses timing belts is stupid, and expensive, when the time comes to change it.

I'll probably be totally flamed for this post, but it is MY opinion.

BTW, my side mirrors switch is acting up as well. Not broken, but not working properly either. A pain to adjust, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

David
Old 09-21-10, 04:18 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Atl
I'll probably be totally flamed for this post, but it is MY opinion.

David
Obviously its not just your opinion, you've had good success with your BMWs. Except for my 2003 745i and 2002 M3 being the only dark spots, my BMW experience has been vastly the same. I can't say we never brought them in for things, but when we did it was typically addressed quickly and competently.

Quick Reply: 2006 audi a8 ????