LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

03 LS430 won't start - Need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 03:58 AM
awtrott
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 LS430 won't start - Need help

Here goes: First phenomenon; The car failed emissions test due to "On-board computer not ready" This usually happen if the on-board computer is reset and would therefore need to be driven for a while to allow it to cycle, which is not the case here (Strange). Second; while out running chores the car failed to start 3 times, it would crank start and stop, then on the fourth try it would start and off we go. Two days later I got the dreaded call from my wife saying the car won't start at all so it got towed home. Went out this morning and tried to unlock it with my door remote but the unlock button acted like the lock button and when I opened the trunk then closed it the automatic closing motor did not activate. I then locked the car with the lock button and locking/closing mechanism started working properly. I also observed that I am not hearing the fuel pump as I should upon initial ignition engagement.

So am I dealing with a battery issue, fuel pump/regulator issue, relay issue, etc?

I should also note that the battery was replaced one year ago and has never drained/died or needed to be recharged, and the crank is very very strong.

Any direction or enlightenment will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by awtrott; 09-21-10 at 04:51 AM.
Old 09-21-10, 04:57 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I'd try the battery first cause its relatively easy to test and not too expensive to replace. Take the battery out out and get it tested for charge, shorts, bad cell, etc - maybe get it replaced under warranty if its still covered.

If that doesn't work I would take it to the dealer for trouble shooting.
Old 09-21-10, 07:11 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We inherited my Mom's Cadillac SLS several years ago and it, too, had the same symptoms. Took it to our local mechanic who replaced the 1 yr old battery, still failed to start the next day. While troubleshooting, he replaced the alternator w/ the understanding if it still happens, he'll put the original back on - well, it still happened and he put the original back on. At that point, he was stumped.

Plan B - Took it to the Cadillac dealer and he tested it over the weekend. Turned out the on board computer needed resetting back to factory default. That fixed it! Charged me $55. for the reset/troubleshoot and I drove home a happy camper.

Not saying this is what's wrong w/ yours but thought you might want to give it a try before replacing parts ...

Good luck -
The following users liked this post:
wyattlevi (06-28-20)
Old 09-21-10, 07:25 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Can't be the alternator. If that were the case, the car would start up and drive like normal, but the check battery light would illuminate, indicating the alternator isn't charging the battery. Eventually, the battery would run out of juice and engine would die due to no spark ignition.

Besides checking battery power (pull battery, bring to batteries plus or nearby shop, have them test it), I would make sure your battery terminals are clean (no white powder on them; use a wire brush to clean) and bolts are tight, especially the ground to the body.
Old 09-21-10, 07:31 AM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Can't be the alternator. If that were the case, the car would start up and drive like normal, but the check battery light would illuminate, indicating the alternator isn't charging the battery. Eventually, the battery would run out of juice and engine would die due to no spark ignition.

Besides checking battery power (pull battery, bring to batteries plus or nearby shop, have them test it), I would make sure your battery terminals are clean (no white powder on them; use a wire brush to clean) and bolts are tight, especially the ground to the body.
Yep- great advice - forgot about the suggesting that poster check to insure battery terminals and cables are 100% clean, tight, and corrosion free. If its not battery or cables next logical check is the onboard computers
Old 09-21-10, 09:19 AM
awtrott
Rookie

Thanks all for your suggestions. Just had the battery tested and all is well as per the test results. I was hoping that with the battery out of the car, the computers would make a difference upon rebooting, but no such luck. I asked a friend to turn the key to the on position without cranking the engine while I listen for the fuel pump from in the trunk but did not hear the pump turn on. If it turns out the pump has to be replaced is this something a mechanically inclined individual like myself can accomplish? Has anyone on this forum performed this task before? I'm trying my best to avoid the Stearlerships because they are hurting here in Atlanta and will cease every opportunity milk unsuspecting minds.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 09-21-10, 09:29 AM
Jabberwock

Lots of electrical relays/components typically involved with fuel pump. Check those first. FP is in gas tank. I would never personally touch anything in the gas tank - too much that can go boom...ruin your whole day. Your car has more computer chips on it than the space shuttle - I'd suggest dragging it in to Lexus at least have them diagnose.
Old 09-21-10, 09:34 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds like a fuel pump / filter problem. This recall link was posted in a previous thread about this type of problem. It is for 04s, but it my shed some light:

http://auto-recalls.justia.com/lexus...000/index.html
Old 09-21-10, 09:49 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

You could do a lot worse than having it properly diagnosed by your Lexus dealer. IMO.
Old 09-21-10, 11:45 AM
awtrott
Rookie

Great news: As it turned out the fuel pump relay (normally open) was not closing upon ignition engagement, thus the reason the pump was on firing up. Tapped it a few times and Whala it started. So for all who experience this issue going forward, it will be well worth it to check this relay first chance.

Fuel pump relay location: There are three fuse boxes under hood on the drivers the one closest to the front of the car is where it is located. Open the fuse box cover and turn it up side down and you will see a fuse/relay location diagram, look for the relay labeled, "FP PMP". That's the culprit. $85.00 at Henessy Lexus here in the ATL, a dollar value I can live with.

Thank you all very much for your input and great suggestions. You are the best!

Shew!!! saved from the Stealership.

Last edited by awtrott; 09-21-10 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-21-10, 11:56 AM
awtrott
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Lots of electrical relays/components typically involved with fuel pump. Check those first. FP is in gas tank. I would never personally touch anything in the gas tank - too much that can go boom...ruin your whole day. Your car has more computer chips on it than the space shuttle - I'd suggest dragging it in to Lexus at least have them diagnose.
You had me cracking up when I saw your boom statement. lol
Old 09-21-10, 12:36 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

awtrott, thanks for the post and the followup. glad you didn't get abused by the Lex dealer! Impressed with your diagnosis on the Pump relay. Good investigative trouble shooting. Cheers.
Old 09-21-10, 12:53 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, nice save!
Old 12-04-18, 05:34 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Good morning,

so i'm having starting issue on my car now, 2004 with 197k miles. I was hopping is fuel relay based on this forums but after replaced still with same issue.
the issue i'm having is i have to crank long time pump few times on gas then start, and some time it doesn't work.
but as soon the car started it drive perfectly fine.

so now i'm thinking is the fuel pump issues? but i thought pump issue will die middle of nowhere or time.

by the way, this issue happened after my timing belt is done. from my understanding timing belt job won't go near the fuel line and such.....
Old 12-06-18, 05:48 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

found the issue, one connector was loose

Quick Reply: 03 LS430 won't start - Need help