LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

OE Wheel Distributors (OEWheelsLLC) Centercap Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-10, 07:58 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Good to know. My silver caps kinda go with the color of my car so I'm reluctant to spend $90 any time soon direct from the dealer. Make sure you put on a coat or 2 of wax one them especially the inner rim to keep the brake dust from sticking.

Take some pics with the wheels on when you get a chance.
Personally I think the hyper black finish has a more distinct look compared to the "basic" oem silver. I think I was "trained" to think the oem finish is far superior.

Last edited by JLAWS; 10-29-10 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-30-10, 11:48 AM
RUSSOM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put some of these on my wife's 04 LS430 CL, original plain silver 17s. The centercap does transfer and although the cap isn't hyperblack it really doesn't bother me enough to buy another set of caps just to match the finish. Its one of those things where you could say, maybe thats the way its supposed to be. The finish is much more "chrome" than I thought they would be and on a silver car I would've preferred a little less flash, but that's just my taste.
Old 11-05-10, 02:42 PM
nkoppy
Rookie

UPDATE: Here they are ON my car!

I had tires mounted on the replica/clone wheels, and they're now installed on my car. The camera really fails to capture how shiny/reflective the finish is on these wheels, vs. the factory silver alloys. Nonetheless, here are a few pair of pictures, with the factory alloys and the Hyperblack clones on my car, for comparison:

Above: with the factory silver alloys. Below: The OE Wheels LLC Hyperblack clone/replicas.

When the Hyperblack replica/clone wheels don't have bright light directly on them, they can look a lot like the factory alloys, but somewhat darker in color. This darker color doesn't bother me - especially against my Crystal White car. I actually like that bit of contrast. However, I do wish they weren't quite so shiny/reflective. Beware: these wheels can have a near-chrome (mirrored) appearance in certain lighting.

Above: with the factory silver alloys. Below: The OE Wheels LLC Hyperblack clone/replicas.

However, from the right angle, and in just the right light, the replica/clone Hyperblack wheels are almost indistinguishable from the silver/factory alloys. So, the look of the Hyperblack wheels really changes, depending upon lighting conditions and viewing angle. Whereas, the factory alloys are pretty consistently silver, in all light and from any angle.

So, in summary: If you want to match the look of the Lexus factory alloys, avoid these Hyperblack clones - you'll be disappointed. However, if you want something that "pops" (visually) a little more than the silver factory alloys, but isn't as bright and reflective as the chromes, these are perfect. It took me some time to get used to the Hyperblacks on my car. At first I didn't like them, but they've grown on me... For others who bought these wheels, was it love at first sight, or did it take you a while to warm up to them?

-Nick
Old 11-05-10, 02:59 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nkoppy
For others who bought these wheels, was it love at first sight, or did it take you a while to warm up to them
For me, I liked them from the minute I put them on. On my car, the hyperblack rims on a black car look great! IMO
Old 11-05-10, 08:28 PM
JLAWS
Racer

I think hyperblack is a more unique up to date look compared to factory silver. I love em. Absolutely no need to pay 3x as much for a set of factory silver wheels.
Old 11-05-10, 08:41 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you for the review. I will keep these wheels in mind when I replace my scraped up (and now starting to peel) factory 18" chrome wheels in the next year-or-so.
Old 11-06-10, 06:04 AM
froboy272
Pole Position

anyone got a picture of these hyper blacks on a black LS? and are the inner barrels of the rims the same color as the face?
Old 11-06-10, 07:16 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by froboy272
anyone got a picture of these hyper blacks on a black LS? and are the inner barrels of the rims the same color as the face?
Yes... Here's my 05 with the OEWheelsLLC 18"
Attached Thumbnails OE Wheel Distributors (OEWheelsLLC) Centercap Question-img_0895.jpg   OE Wheel Distributors (OEWheelsLLC) Centercap Question-img_0900.jpg  
Old 11-06-10, 11:19 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Looks nice...
Old 11-08-10, 05:30 AM
froboy272
Pole Position

are the inner barrels the same finish as the outter face of the rim on these? my friend has aftermarket wheels with black inner barrels against a silver face and i cant stand how they look.
Old 11-08-10, 06:32 AM
JLAWS
Racer

The inner rim is black. You'll barely see it since the thick 5 spoke is almost a full face rim. Plus the big caliper and rotor block out alot of the inner area. Not even an issue
Attached Thumbnails OE Wheel Distributors (OEWheelsLLC) Centercap Question-wheels-20009.jpg  
Old 11-08-10, 07:45 AM
froboy272
Pole Position

ugh. that might be a deal breaker for me. i was just about to order a set and some vredestein tires to put on them for when summer comes back around.
Old 11-08-10, 10:31 AM
nkoppy
Rookie

Originally Posted by JLAWS
The inner rim is black. You'll barely see it since the thick 5 spoke is almost a full face rim. Plus the big caliper and rotor block out alot of the inner area. Not even an issue
I agree with JLAWS. In addition to all the points he makes, the inside of the wheel is shadowed and hard to see. Also, if the inside of the rim were silver, it wouldn't stay that way for long, as brake dust, road film, etc... would build-up and make it black over time anyawy.
Old 11-08-10, 10:55 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with these guys. It's a non-issue. You don't even notice it, and they're right, the inside would look crummy in short order anyways if it were silver. Unless you clean the inside of the rims every week.
Old 11-08-10, 12:37 PM
froboy272
Pole Position

i do clean my rims every week. using specialized brushes for the interior of the rim. read up on detailingbliss.com i have learned quite a bit about taking care of these cars from there. people always comment on the fact that my 04 looks brand new.

Quick Reply: OE Wheel Distributors (OEWheelsLLC) Centercap Question