LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Can someone measure their UL ride height for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-10, 12:57 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone measure their UL ride height for me?

So they replaced my front height sensors under warranty because it was sitting 1/2-3/4 high on the left front. It now doesn't lean, but looks like it might still be a bit high in the front. I'm fairly sure the sensors are adjustable.

I tried searching around here and the internet with no luck finding if there is a certain height that the car is supposed to be when the sensors are correctly adjusted. When I measure from the ground to the fender at the center of the wheelwell, I get 28.5 inches.

Does anyone know what the correct height should be, or would anyone with a UL mind measuring their height to the fenders? I want to make sure the suspension is correctly adjusted before I put new tires on it.
Old 09-24-10, 02:55 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 02 ul is 28.5 in the fronts and 27 in the rear on normal/sport setting. The front seems to be higher in all ul's.(I measured from my driveway not all that level.
Old 09-24-10, 03:25 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

You raise a good question. After this came up at the first of the year, I took some measurements on my 04 UL. I found quite a bit of variation. In one day I found the following:
Cold, after sitting overnight - Front 28 - Rear 28 1/8
Immediately after driving: Front 26 7/8 - Rear 28 1/8
45 min after stopping Front 28 2/8 - Rear 28 3/8

Today I noticed that while driving I had the high signal in the inst panel. I must have inadvertently hit the switch. Curious about how high I had been driving, I measured the car height at the end of the drive. Front 27 5/8 - Rear 27 7/8

I then cycled the height a couple of times and after putting it in the normal position I measured Front 28 - Rear 28

Then measured an hour after letting the car cool down and measured: Front 28 1/2 - Rear 28.

My conclusion: If my car behaving as a normal UL (have 63,000 miles) then one can expect quite a bit of variation. Do these cars have their own unique personality?
Old 09-24-10, 08:10 PM
Michael430
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2005 UL. One year ago i set mine at 28 inches. I measured today in what looked like a level parking lot. Put the car in neutral and it didn't roll or move. All 4 measured within a quarter of an inch of 28 inches from ground to fender at the center point of tire. At home in the garage the fronts measured 27 inches and the backs were still at 28. The garage floor slopes as the car will ever so slowly start to roll back out if put in neutral. You can adjust the fronts by backing off the nut on the adjustment rod on the sensor and then turning the rod to increase or decrease the height. In the rear there is a nut that you loosen and the adjustment rod slides up or down. If you do it yourself it is very easy but takes some time and multiple attempts to set each one to the height that you prefer. I was told that the dealer puts the car on their lift to level it and hooks it up to a computer that tells them when they have the correct adjustment.
Old 09-25-10, 04:50 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I DONT' KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN,, these UL's straight from the factory have an uneven height measurement... it was referred to as the gangsta lean a few years prior on this forum and if you search this forum for gangsta lean it is sure to turn up all the stories.

i don't recommend messing with height sensor rods and sensor adjuster in the rear. it is a pain and will almost never be correct. i wasted so so much time and i'm not sure if i ever got it right.. plus the front height sensors also screws with your headlight auto leveling sensors and these can go out and are like 1k+ to replace and often more than 1 has to be replaced at the same time... i almost did this to mine. it caused me a huge headache from the moment i changed my very first height sensor rod (front) so i recommend not to do it,, please... i wish someone would have told me this before i got the bright idea to try and make my car level. i even had the datasystems controller,, just get the controller and if you already have it then be happy with it and don't get greedy like me and try to lower it even more.

changing the front height sensor rods led to lots of other issues all from this change for me.

also just an FYI the left front sensor height adjuster rod has less threads than the front right sensor rod.

i had read that a lot of measuring was going to be involved so i thought i would outsmart the system and just count the rotations of the rod i was adjusting,, so i marked the front stock positions, then turned each rod two complete rotations and tightened them back down. well this made 1 side like 1/2 inch (noticeably) lower than the other side... do not do this... you have to seriously take like 2 hours to lower 1 side down, measure, lower the other side down, measure, raise it up , repeat like 4 times..... also for me, 1 side (i think it was the front left but forget since it has been a long time) i believe the front left sensor rod also somewhat controls the opposite side as well, so this is how it is so difficult to get an exact even stance...

1 rod controls its side plus the other side slightly and the other rod seemed to control its side plus the headlight,, and immediately after changing my front height settings,, i didn't touch the rear at all, the rear right side was like an inch higher... changing even 1 front sensor rod completely threw off the center balance of my car and drove me nuts for a long time because every time i hit a bump or a dip on the highway i could feel that the balance was slightly off... i would seriously think about the possible side effects of this mod before attempting it... just like being a drug dealer there are pros and cons

Last edited by sojah; 09-25-10 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-27-10, 02:59 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Thanks for the responses. I have been getting consistent measurements of 28.5 front and 27.75 rear, both sides the same over the last few days. Seems like it is near what the other measurements in this thread are. I guess if I want it to sit perfectly level I will have to get a controller of some sort for the suspension, which I kind of want anyway, not to lower it any crazy amount, but maybe like 1/2-1 inch.