LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Mark levinson front door speaker replacements

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 01:38 PM
MEPEH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a pro but i've never seen worse quality of speakers than what i saw in the front doors of the LS430

(taking price/value in consideration)

Please note that i don't compare 117$ speaker to 15$ and say they are worse, i'm comparing 100$ speakers to 100$ speakers. Equal value

Originally Posted by Muti007
Actually, ML speakers sound great when theyre working properly, and for the small amount of power that is going into them theyre great. But overall ID agree, theyre crap as they dont last. And theyre definitely overpriced for what they are. I would not call them the "worse" quality speakers "I ever saw", in fact, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the speaker itself when I received it, for a factory speaker anyway.

I also agree that the aftermarket offers FAR superior speakers and at much lower prices, but the question is are you sure youre not naive too? Speakers are cheap, I could swap all out of mine out too for a few hundred $$s. But if youre not also rewiring your whole car and replacing the amp with a much more powerful one, youre really wasting your time. Underdriving "better" speakers is also an exercise in futility and cash disposal. To do it right, you should swap out all of your speakers/components, rewire the whole car, replace the amp powering the speakers and add a new amp to power just the sub as well.

If you are doing that, then I agree, youre definitely going the right route. If not, then youre just wasting time and what sounds like $$ you likely dont have a whole lot of to begin with.
Old 03-08-12, 01:42 PM
MEPEH
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I am replacing the power cables, amp, subwoofer and tweeters
I'm only keeping the stock speaker cables.
I bought a kicker system rated at less than 1000 Watts and replacing speaker wires are not necessary unless i want to go competition.

2x components - front
2 coaxial - rear
subwoofer - rear dack or back of the arm rest (need to hear some input on that)
4.1 channel amplifier

Sorry about the confusion there. Will create a thread and will let you know how it goes.

AI also agree that the aftermarket offers FAR superior speakers and at much lower prices, but the question is are you sure youre not naive too? Speakers are cheap, I could swap all out of mine out too for a few hundred $$s. But if youre not also rewiring your whole car and replacing the amp with a much more powerful one, youre really wasting your time. Underdriving "better" speakers is also an exercise in futility and cash disposal. To do it right, you should swap out all of your speakers/components, rewire the whole car, replace the amp powering the speakers and add a new amp to power just the sub as well.
Old 03-08-12, 01:54 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MEPEH
Yes, I am replacing the power cables, amp, subwoofer and tweeters
I'm only keeping the stock speaker cables.
I bought a kicker system rated at less than 1000 Watts and replacing speaker wires are not necessary unless i want to go competition.

2x components - front
2 coaxial - rear
subwoofer - rear dack or back of the arm rest (need to hear some input on that)
4.1 channel amplifier

Sorry about the confusion there. Will create a thread and will let you know how it goes.
Now THATS how you upgrade speakers Cant wait to hear more about this build.
Old 03-08-12, 03:47 PM
MEPEH
Driver School Candidate

Now THATS how you upgrade speakers Cant wait to hear more about this build.
Thanks.. creating a step by step diy is a lot more complicated than just doing a job
So hold on...

starting this
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...m-to-come.html