LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

01 LS430 UL Rear sun shade problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-10, 11:00 AM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 01 LS430 UL Rear sun shade problem

I just noticed my rear sunshade is not retracting properly. It does not retract evenly one side looks like it is just falling down while the other is moving as it should. The screen itself does not fully retract either and bunches up on the rear deck. I am not sure if it is because the arms are not moving in unison or if the entire retracting system is going bad. I just looked at the Sewell Lexus parts site and cost for a replacement is ~$1500

Anyone know how to remove the rear sun shade unit so I can better inspect the problem? How about how to remove the rear deck completely so I can get at the rear sun shade?

Thanks

Last edited by HiloDB1; 09-27-10 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-27-10, 12:15 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

You have to start with https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-01-03-ul.html

Then remove the first rear tray carefully - it is tucked into the sides tightly. First you have to pop out the plastic covers for the seatbelts, and undo the seatbelts from the plastic guides. Start working the tray from the rear side edges and once loosened, the whole thing pulls out towards the front, with the middle seatbelt still running through it.

This allows you to remove/replace the subwoofer. I haven't gone past there to the sunshade but if you take out the center brake light, you should be able to remove the tray package underneath it. Undo the 1 connector, 3 bolts on the left, and 3 bolts on the right. The sunshade should then come out.
Old 09-27-10, 12:39 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you very much. That is already a big help to me. Ive been looking at the other tutorials on subwoofer replacement to get an idea on how to remove the rear deck. I hope I have some time this weekend to take the unit out. If possible I will do a write up if I can correct the problem.
Old 09-28-10, 02:35 AM
REV-01
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just take your time to remove the rear deck, i would rate it a good 8/10 on difficulty compare to other cars rear deck removal since yours is ultra. becareful not to scratch them panels and don't get those suede pillars dirty.
Old 10-06-10, 01:28 AM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Ok got the sun shade out and got it working again. The main problem was the screen not retracting properly. It just needed to be adjusted and tension added. Once that was done the shade opens and closes perfectly. In case your wondering there are 6 10mm bolts that hold the shade assembly in place. Once you get the rear deck off you will be able to see 4 of the 6 bolts. When you take off the remainder of the rear deck behind the shade you can access the other 2 bolts. Ill get some pics up later.

To adjust the tension on the shade what I did was remove one end of the screen bracket (there are 2 screws on each end that hold the end piece) and turn it in the direction that adds tension (I think it was clockwise). After a few turns I checked the screen to make sure it retracted properly before reinstalling.
Old 10-06-10, 06:50 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HiloDB1
Ok got the sun shade out and got it working again. The main problem was the screen not retracting properly. It just needed to be adjusted and tension added. Once that was done the shade opens and closes perfectly. In case your wondering there are 6 10mm bolts that hold the shade assembly in place. Once you get the rear deck off you will be able to see 4 of the 6 bolts. When you take off the remainder of the rear deck behind the shade you can access the other 2 bolts. Ill get some pics up later.

To adjust the tension on the shade what I did was remove one end of the screen bracket (there are 2 screws on each end that hold the end piece) and turn it in the direction that adds tension (I think it was clockwise). After a few turns I checked the screen to make sure it retracted properly before reinstalling.

I'm so happy that you saved a boat load of money! Good for You!
Old 10-06-10, 08:07 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Tighten a few bolts, get the satisfaction of doing this yourself
and plus you just saved $1,500. Well done ! complete win !
Old 09-24-17, 07:16 AM
VBSchmidt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HiloDB1

Hey there, I have a similar problem. Mine sags and bounces everywhere and is annoying at night if someone is behind me. It also bunches up a little sometimes because it says. I think adjusting the tension is just what it needs. I feel stupid not thinking about that before... Anyway, what are you referring to as the "end of the screen bracket"? I have taken out/put in the screen like 6 times by now (since 2014). I broke one of the arms of the original one. There was a little sag on that one and I thought I could just manipulate the arm. WRONG! I replaced mine (don't worry, I didn't pay $1,200-$1,500). Got mine used off a 2005 part out for $175. I'm so glad they changed the design finally in the new ones. There are tracks in the side pillars and no fragile arms to break.
Old 09-24-17, 05:20 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

I think the rear sunshade is fairly reliable. However, if the rear window(s) are rolled down while at 75 mph when the sunshade is up might create enough turbulence to create problems for the sunshade.
Old 09-25-17, 06:21 AM
VBSchmidt
Driver School Candidate

I think the issue at least for me is the previous owner leaving it up 24-7... Not sure, but it makes sense.
Old 05-20-18, 07:25 PM
Bachoutx
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear Sunshade

The marerial of my rear sunshade has become detached from the frame along the top. The material has a narrow “pocket” thru which a thin white plastic line runs thru. This plastic line results in a ridge which I turn slides into a groove along the top of the frame. There appears to be two clips on either end of the frame which holds the material in place. Does anyone know how I can undo these clips and reside this sunshade material back into the groove? Thanks,