LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Non-ML to ML Conversion withOUT Nav.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-10, 11:51 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Non-ML to ML Conversion withOUT Nav.

While I am not the biggest fan of the ML system the recent thread someone posted looking for ML parts got me thinking of what could be a nice project to do to the car if the cost doesn't outweigh the benefit of the upgrade.

There has been plenty posted about the difficulties of converting a non Nav car to ML and Nav, and I have no use or interest in the Nav system. But if one were able to go from the Non Nav base headunit to the Non Nav ML head unit... would it simply be a matter of obtaining the ML head unit, the ML amplifier and the ML speakers and swapping them out? Or is it like GM where all of this stuff is registered to a particular VIN on a data bus?

More to the point, is there actually any difference between the ML no nav head unit, and the no nav base headunit?
Old 09-27-10, 01:53 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What sort of music do you normally listen to? I ask this b/c after listening to the system a lot, I conclude that ML is most impressive for classical music and slower songs that utilize more treble (the sound is crisp and clear for these applications). I personally like hip hop/rap (remember I am a younger guy on here lol) and find that the bass is adequate, but nothing really special. It makes the cool rumble effect only at very specific note frequencies. Now I don't like to ever blast my music and normally only have it loud enough so I can hear it well inside my car.

I would probably just say stick with your current sound system. I find that 11 speakers are probably overkill (I'm not really one of those audiophiles). I seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth. Also there are small inserts in the doors and dash where smaller speakers go. If your car is premium and had the standard system (8 speakers right?) then you might not have the appropriate holes cut out. If you are serious about improving your sound system, a good set of aftermarkets may be your answer. Sorry I can't answer the technical bit, but it's just my .02.
Old 09-27-10, 02:01 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
What sort of music do you normally listen to? I ask this b/c after listening to the system a lot, I conclude that ML is most impressive for classical music and slower songs that utilize more treble (the sound is crisp and clear for these applications). I personally like hip hop/rap (remember I am a younger guy on here lol) and find that the bass is adequate, but nothing really special. It makes the cool rumble effect only at very specific note frequencies. Now I don't like to ever blast my music and normally only have it loud enough so I can hear it well inside my car.

I would probably just say stick with your current sound system. I find that 11 speakers are probably overkill (I'm not really one of those audiophiles). I seems like a lot more trouble than it's worth. Also there are small inserts in the doors and dash where smaller speakers go. If your car is premium and had the standard system (8 speakers right?) then you might not have the appropriate holes cut out. If you are serious about improving your sound system, a good set of aftermarkets may be your answer. Sorry I can't answer the technical bit, but it's just my .02.
That's a good point. If there are more cut outs in the doors and dash than on the standard system, then it isn't worth doing.
Old 09-27-10, 06:15 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
That's a good point. If there are more cut outs in the doors and dash than on the standard system, then it isn't worth doing.
I went to go check not too long ago. I have 2 small speakers 1 left and 1 right on the front dash, 1 large speaker on the bottom of the front driver's and passenger's doors, 1 small speaker on the top + 1 large speaker on the bottom of each rear door, and 1 space for a rear sub. I believe that is all I saw. I tried to snap some pics, but it's dark here and my parking structure lighting wasn't too great.
Old 09-27-10, 07:04 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

It looks like the primary difference in speaker location is the two small speakers in the rear door panels. Otherwise the locations appear to be the same.
Old 09-27-10, 08:50 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

You may be able to get away with it then. The speakers are small so I doubt they make that huge of a difference. I still think that if you are looking at improving the sound quality a bit your time and money will be better spent on a quality aftermarket set. I usually don't listen to music that loudly, just enough so I can hear it well. I used to use it to drone out all the squeaks and rattles I had in my past cars, but now the 430 is so quiet, I don't find myself going past 10 or 15 on the vol very often.