LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Hmm- Brand new issue.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-10, 06:02 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Had the TSB done, the tech said it took gas when he was done, but the car had around the same amount of fuel as when I left it, which means he did not try to fill it up. Needless to say, even with the TSB, my car still wont take gas. I tried at a 3rd gas station tonight and could not fill it up. I am starting to get upset already. I now have to waste more time and money to go to NJ to have it corrected. Is the "charcoal canistor" part of the fuel filler pipe? Maybe thats my problem? The tech mentioned that they can get cobwebs in there, which made me assume he would check it out. I don't believe he would simpky replace the pipe and call it a day and at least not test a fill up scenario. Ugh!
Old 10-02-10, 06:03 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Well, I went to fill the car up this morning near my house today, and this time I said a prayer and looked at my shiny new filler pipe and for some reason decided to turn the black plastic "choker necklace" piece so that the buldges were perfectly at 9 and 3 oclock, and low and behold the car took gas without a problem. I filled it up, and let the pump do it's auto stop and did not top off the tank. I drove off and counted my blessings. Now I'm not sure turnign the black color thing had anything to do with my luck, but only time will tell, as I will have to see once it's time to put gas in the car again. I MUST have this taken care of before the winter comes! I will not stand out there for 20 minutes filing the tank while it's 10 degrees outside.

Last edited by Lust4Lexus; 10-03-10 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-03-10, 12:19 PM
abs
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Not sure if they have this in your area, but around here, the pumps have a vapor recovery system with a spring loaded seal that has to be compressed against the fill neck on the car for the fuel to flow. You may want to double check that when you are filling up that you have the nozzle really pushed far into the fill tube to make sure you are getting a nice tight seal on the vapor recovery system and that it is far enough in to prevent the auto shut-off on the nozzle.

Andrew
Old 10-03-10, 11:20 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Happened to me when the nozzle is inserted in to far. Try pulling it out a little (this just sounds wrong on so many levels .)
Old 10-04-10, 09:08 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

I brought the car back to the dealer- they are now replacing the charcoal canister. Let's hope it solves the problem. :-)
Old 10-04-10, 09:56 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Sounds like an extremely annoying problem - hope they get it fixed right for you this time.
Old 10-04-10, 11:26 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Tell me about it! I will say this though. They are being extremely apologetic and they sincerely feel sorry for all the inconvenience. The tech and I went under the car and he showed me how my egr hoses were nice and clean and that the only thing left is to replace the canister. I must say my car looked like new! Anyhow, due to all the travelling back and forth, they will be doing my next major service, free of charge. They are very embarrassed, but they are doing right by me. Other places, I'm not sure I they would have been so humble and willing to do the right thing. Kudos.
Old 10-06-10, 09:19 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

HOLY CR@P!

just got a call back from Lexus. After a new fuel filler tube, new charcoal canister filter, new rollover vent, the car STILLLLLL wont take gas! Now they are ordering a new gas tank! I can't believe this! If this does not fix the problem......
Old 10-08-10, 07:12 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
HOLY CR@P!

just got a call back from Lexus. After a new fuel filler tube, new charcoal canister filter, new rollover vent, the car STILLLLLL wont take gas! Now they are ordering a new gas tank! I can't believe this! If this does not fix the problem......

Hahahaha you are hilarious. Just go out and get another car. That should solve the problem.

No but seriously, this happens to me all the time and im at the pump every other day. 180k on the clock and i think its not a big deal. Turn the nozzle upside down and you will see that it fills up just fine.

Last edited by xuserx04; 10-08-10 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-08-10, 07:24 PM
Jabberwock

If the gas tank doesn't fix it, I'd sell it cause there's nothing left to replace - you gotta figure its haunted at that point.

And now being serious - hopefully the new tank will fix it. But if the tank doesn't fix it, my guess is that the tech working on it must have screwed up one one or more of the new parts they installed.
Old 10-09-10, 07:58 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Well guys, they replaced the gas tank. Works like a charm. I was going to ask them to find me a comporable ls430 to replace this one if this failed LOL. I can't imagine have getting this car non CPO. It could have been a disaster!
Old 10-09-10, 08:09 AM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
Well guys, they replaced the gas tank. Works like a charm. I was going to ask them to find me a comporable ls430 to replace this one if this failed LOL. I can't imagine have getting this car non CPO. It could have been a disaster!
100% Agree on CPO. Great news that you got it resolved. I'd have been pulling my hair out of my head in your position.
Old 10-09-10, 10:07 AM
m3nv
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the pump would just stop every time you tried to pump gas? Ive had it happen on one or two occasions on my other cars and i just figured its the sensor on the pump that tells you when the tanks is full (the auto stop function on the pump). Its never happened every time like in your case.
Old 10-09-10, 10:11 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by m3nv
So the pump would just stop every time you tried to pump gas? Ive had it happen on one or two occasions on my other cars and i just figured its the sensor on the pump that tells you when the tanks is full (the auto stop function on the pump). Its never happened every time like in your case.
I had this happen about 3 or 4 time in a year on my 04 UL. Since it was CPO I took it to the dealer after I learned there was a TSB on this issue for the 04. They gladly replaced the filler neck parts, etc, and I've never had a problem since (2 years ago). In my case the problem was very intermittent. Looks like it's different in different cars.