LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Hmm- Brand new issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-10, 11:50 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hmm- Brand new issue.

Went to fill the tank today with 1/8th in the tank ( I know that's very low- but hey- it happens from time to time) and it would not let me fill up. It would auto-stop every gallon or so. Anyone ever have this issue with their LS? it appears to be common among cars, usually a canister/valve issue. I find it weird however that it did not come on gradually. It's like the car simply said- NO-I don't want any gas! Strange. Any thoughts?

The car gave its usual swoooosh sound when opened the tank, and each time I would let the nozzel out after it would stop, I could hear a hissing coming from the fill hole. The car is going to Lexus tomorrow to see what the problem is- anyone else every have this?
Old 09-28-10, 12:03 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
Went to fill the tank today with 1/8th in the tank ( I know that's very low- but hey- it happens from time to time) and it would not let me fill up. It would auto-stop every gallon or so. Anyone ever have this issue with their LS? it appears to be common among cars, usually a canister/valve issue. I find it weird however that it did not come on gradually. It's like the car simply said- NO-I don't want any gas! Strange. Any thoughts?

The car gave its usual swoooosh sound when opened the tank, and each time I would let the nozzel out after it would stop, I could hear a hissing coming from the fill hole. The car is going to Lexus tomorrow to see what the problem is- anyone else every have this?
I've encountered this problem once so far. Same has happened with my old 5. I have been told that the hot fumes may cause the car to click. I suggest just gently squeezing the gas pump (if you feed it in gently it shouldn't click until it is actually full). It will take longer and require you to stand by it the entire time, but it works fine. Someone on here was telling me about a TSB on this issue for early 04s. Don't know if that applies to you
Old 09-28-10, 12:05 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Have you experienced this issue at more than one gas station? I've had this happen occasionally but have always blamed the gas pump device, not the car. Many of those that are extra sensitive won't even let you pump at full volume - only can squeeze about half way before it does an auto-off.
Old 09-28-10, 12:08 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wasn't this a TSB fix on the 01-03's??
Old 09-28-10, 12:30 PM
BrianJ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try pulling out the nozzle a bit. If it's in too far, it'll block the vent hole during the fuel flow as it'll rest again the filler neck.

Brian
Old 09-28-10, 01:22 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, have this issue relatively frequently on my 2004.
Old 09-28-10, 02:24 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

There was a TSB EG012-06 that affected 2001-2005 LS430's, starting with VIN No's JTHBN36F#65037924. It replaced the fuel tank inlet pipe and was covered under the Lexus Emissions Warranty. The warranty was in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, from the vehicles in-service date. I had this done on Dec 09 at 55,800 miles. I had the Lexus Premium Warranty which covered the otherwise $385.

I had the car for over 2 years and had only experienced a fill problem a few times before I discovered the TSB and had it done. The TSB was not a recall and done only if the customer mentioned that he had a problem. Another reason why I don't hesitate to go to my dealer when something appears to be wrong.
Old 09-28-10, 02:59 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Thank you! It appears, if the vim numbers start with 6, then you are part of the recall. Mine, starts at 5. Does this mean I am not part of the recall? I know my car was built in 04....
Old 09-28-10, 03:04 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
Thank you! It appears, if the vim numbers start with 6, then you are part of the recall. Mine, starts at 5. Does this mean I am not part of the recall? I know my car was built in 04....
All cars with a VIN number below the effective VIN number are affected. Your car is affected.
Old 09-28-10, 03:16 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually the emissions warranty goes up to 80,000 miles. The TSB for low speed shifting also is considered an "emissions" items so it will also be covered free under 80k
Old 09-29-10, 08:00 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
Actually the emissions warranty goes up to 80,000 miles. The TSB for low speed shifting also is considered an "emissions" items so it will also be covered free under 80k
I'm looking at a copy of the TSB and it clearly states 50,000 miles. I suggest a trip to the dealer to see what they will do.
Old 09-29-10, 10:23 AM
alanchad
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianJ
Try pulling out the nozzle a bit. If it's in too far, it'll block the vent hole during the fuel flow as it'll rest again the filler neck.

Brian
What Brian ^^^^^ said.

My 01 does this a lot until I pull the nozzle out some.

Alan
Old 09-29-10, 10:41 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Just got back from the dealer- I went with the tech to try to fill up the tank. We used a nozzle without the vapor recover cup. STILL the car would not take gas. He said he would order the new filler tube. He would also check for cobwebs in the system.
Old 09-29-10, 03:50 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Glad you'll get it fixed.
Old 10-02-10, 05:52 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Default I can't believe this!

I still cannot fill my car up with gas. I had the dealer replace the fuel filler pipe as per the TSB. The tech told me that after he installed it, the car took fuel fine. He did not fill the tank however. I picked up the car with roughly the same amount of gas I left it with. Sure enough tonight I went to fill up the car- and it would not take any gas. Are the vent valves part of the filler pipe or is it a completely different part of the system that needs to be checked. I am surprised that they did not fully look into all possibilities of whats causing this issue. I now have to go back AGAIN! ugh!

Quick Reply: Hmm- Brand new issue.