Sentinel
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the new jaquars
Old 05-05-11, 02:48 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am comparing my Ultra LS430 with the standard LS460. Obviously, the LS460 looks better. I really like the "L" version. I agree with you on the interior, because my LS430 has burnt wood trim, leather everywhere (center console, door handles, glove compartment, etc), and the suede headliner, and the LS460 I drove was missing all that. The biggest upgrade is Navi, but even then, the position of the Navi is out of date. It should be located further back like the RX, or S550 (I know it's coming on the next gen LS). Overall not HUGE uppgrade, mostly EXTERIOR IMO, drive can't be much better than LS430 (because the ride of the LS430 is amazing), just sportier. That's my 2 cents, that being said, I will probably replace my LS430 for LS460L with the package that has leather and suede headliner down the line.
Old 05-05-11, 06:22 PM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I always enjoy reading/posting in the 430 vs. 460 threads including this one. I have owned a 04 430 and now a 07 460 for entire yr now (man time flies) since the accident. It is all subjective and relative to the owner/ potential owner of the cars how they make them feel. I really love both gens what they bring to the table b/c they are two different animals in how they perform, look, and ride. I have given my 2 cents on this topic a lot and think some are too hard on the 460 b/c they spend so little time with the car, the engineering of the 460 is quite amazing and takes some time to soak it all in. It's amazing that a 4.6 L V8 can get the same MPG as a V6, the most I have gotten on the hwy heading to DE from Atl was over 28, city mix is 21/22 & city 18+/19+. I have truly enjoyed my ownership of both amazing cars and highly recommend them to anybody looking. I answer their pros /cons question which comes down to what they are looking for in a car and their driving habits.

Funny someone posted here earlier that we can get used to how nice these cars are to a point we get a little jaded, I felt like that after getting the 460 wondering why I did not have the same over whelming feeling like I did when moving from a 4Runner to the 430. Reason being I was already coming from a top shelf car in its own right that I loved and going to its successor did not seem like a giant leap. After a yr of ownership I have grown to appreciate how fantastic the 460 is while understanding just how fortunate/blessed to be able to have owned two outstanding machines! If you guys every go out to lunch with co-workers or ride with your friends who own non flagship cars or even you rent a car you will see just how fast you think Toto we are not in Kansas anymore! It brings you back to ignorance is bliss quickly; it’s a reminder just how great both gens are. Let me say it did not take me a yr to appreciate the 460 but it took more than a quick test drive to really grasp the progression of Lexus new vision for the LS. Believe or not they are two members here that own both! Again I love them both like a wife an ex girlfriend who I will always have love for, neither are perfect but both are very special.

If any of you are interested in the design of the 460 check this out: http://www.topspeed.com/cars/lexus/2...60-ar1945.html

Last edited by Tee; 05-05-11 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-05-11, 07:48 PM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
I always enjoy reading/posting in the 430 vs. 460 threads including this one. I have owned a 04 430 and now a 07 460 for entire yr now (man time flies) since the accident. It is all subjective and relative to the owner/ potential owner of the cars how they make them feel. I really love both gens what they bring to the table b/c they are two different animals in how they perform, look, and ride. I have given my 2 cents on this topic a lot and think some are too hard on the 460 b/c they spend so little time with the car, the engineering of the 460 is quite amazing and takes some time to soak it all in. ... I have truly enjoyed my ownership of both amazing cars and highly recommend them to anybody looking. I answer their pros /cons question which comes down to what they are looking for in a car and their driving habits.

Funny someone posted here earlier that we can get used to how nice these cars are to a point we get a little jaded, I felt like that after getting the 460 wondering why I did not have the same over whelming feeling like I did when moving from a 4Runner to the 430. Reason being I was already coming from a top shelf car in its own right that I loved and going to its successor did not seem like a giant leap. After a yr of ownership I have grown to appreciate how fantastic the 460 is while understanding just how fortunate/blessed to be able to have owned two outstanding machines! If you guys every go out to lunch with co-workers or ride with your friends who own non flagship cars or even you rent a car you will see just how fast you think Toto we are not in Kansas anymore! It brings you back to ignorance is bliss quickly; it’s a reminder just how great both gens are....

If any of you are interested in the design of the 460 check this out: http://www.topspeed.com/cars/lexus/2...60-ar1945.html
Thanks Tee. As always, a voice of reason. I, too, am one of those who will probably take the leap from gen to gen somewhere down the road. Just don't see any need to now as our 430's (better half's and mine) fill just about every transportation desire/need we have here in So. Cal.

Btw, enjoyed the link to the 460. Here's the 430 story at the same website. Interesting reading:
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/lexus/2...430-ar647.html

Again, always appreciate your take on both as one who's "been there, done that."
Old 05-05-11, 08:02 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by socal3
Well I'm sorry I have to say the oposite I have a 04 LS430 that I do love but my Mom's 460 is so much nicer of a ride and I hate to say this but looks twice as good. I recently drove it to Vegas and got 28.4 miles to the gallon my LS only gets 22, The 8 speed tranny helps out alot in that area. If you have a 05 you could sell it for around 19-25k depending on the condition and pick up a used 460 from 35-40. That's to bad for an upgrade.
If you're only getting 22mpg on the interstate in you 430, something is wrong. I (and other 430 owners I've spoken to) get 28mpg going 75-80mph on a flat interstate. If you drive a slow 65, you can probably get 32-33 mpg. I drive up a mountain from 5400 ft to 7000 ft everyday and still get 25.8, and that's going 75-80 uphill!
Old 05-05-11, 11:06 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tee: Thanks for that non-biased review. It's always good to hear input from those who have owned both. When the time comes, I will definitely put the 460 on my list of cars to test drive. Hope you keep enjoying your 460!
Old 05-06-11, 12:23 AM
scottgolf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tee, good job, well said, i really think you are right about guys like me being quick to judge with out having spent much time with the car. my drive was maybe 30 minutes tops. good points.
Old 05-06-11, 05:11 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

tee, thanks for the thoughts. i think if i had to upgrade i would obviously do the upgrade, not being forced to upgrade presently i am not in a hurry and couldn't figure out why but after reading your thoughts it now seems like you mentioned that since we are already in flagships its not a big change to go into the next gen flagship.

maybe this is why i feel the seduction of jumping ship to another brands flagship,, something things will hopefully be better but some not so much.
Old 05-06-11, 06:38 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Tee - excellent well reasoned post, nice to hear from someone who has had both - thanks
Old 12-08-11, 05:50 PM
realperson
Driver School Candidate

Have owned both. How please HOW can you compare the two? LS600 or LS460 is total luxury closer to a bentley. LS430 is like a luxury taurus or a older version s class with more bells & whistles. Also no where near same acceleration. But it was a real champion in the heavy rain.
Old 12-08-11, 07:22 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Taurus?

Originally Posted by realperson
LS430 is like a luxury taurus or a older version s class with more bells & whistles. Also no where near same acceleration. But it was a real champion in the heavy rain.
hope you mean the current Taurus and not the 90's Taurus...because I've never driven any Taurus like an ls of any generation.

I've blasted the 460 on handful of occasions and it's nice, very strong, but it's not that far different from each other. I probably babied my ls more than the loaner/testers I drove.

Hey, not many previous gen vehicles can claim to be better than current models.
Old 12-08-11, 07:44 PM
BC8
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently own an 04 LS430 and an 07 LS460. I use the 430 as a commuter and 460 more for around town driving. Honestly, with the 460 being newer, stronger, modern style (i agree that everything about the car looks exactly like the IS models but bigger), it has given me more problems than my 430. Actually I have ZERO issues with my 430, just regular maintenance, it has 117k miles on it. To me the 430 seems to drive more sturdy, feels better built, interior has it's own unique look, and very smooth for the sport suspension model that I have.
The 460 on the other hand, rides ok, you can feel the weight/size of the car when you drive it but has sufficient power. But, I have issues with this grinding sound which dealer told me I need to replace the control arm and bushings. I also hear all types of clicks and sounds while on idle or driving but I'm told they are all normal sounds for this car..not to mention the wind noise. My 460 only has 65k miles on it.

The main reasons to upgrade to a 460 is more modern styling and increased power. I agree the front does remind me of a camery but it's far from a camery.

This is just my input of owning both models.
Old 12-13-11, 08:35 AM
Frankg2
Driver

I have wanted to own a Lexus for a very long time, but for one reason or another I was always forced to settle for lesser vehicles. Finally, early this year I had an opportunity to get an 02 LS430 UL for an amazing price, so I jumped on it.

I always thought the 430 styling was more along the lines of what my father would like, whereas the 460 was when the LS finally became modern and sleek looking. It never bothered me that it had similarities with Camry and IS, it's still a sleek looking car.

Now that I've owned my 430 for a while my thoughts on the car have changed. This car is an absolutely dream to own and drive. Big, comfortable, powerful, quiet, smooth as silk ride, has *most* features I need, and I've come to mostly love the styling. It might not be modern an sleek in style, but it stands out on it's own as a unique luxury vehicle. I recently enjoyed a golf vacation at Pine Needles. The 430 looks perfectly at home with the various Mercedes', Audi's and BMW's. This car reeks class and after several months of driving it I still find myself looking for reasons to drive it. I can not praise this car any higher.. it's fantastic.

I still love the 460 styling, and a 460L is still on my list of where I want to get (unless the next Gen just completely bowls me over). However, after living with the 430 for a while I can honestly say I'm in absolutely no hurry to get to it. If my 430 wants to give me another 10 years and 150K miles, and I have no reason to believe it won't, I'll be happy to take it.
Old 02-14-12, 02:38 AM
scottgolf
Pole Position

Default looky looky what i found another testament to the 430 besting 460

i was reading over in the es forum and look what i found.

This guy was answering a es vs ls debate

he says

"My personal opinion? Save your money and buy the ES. I've owned two LSs and two RXs. My 2005 LS430 was nicer than my 2008 LS460L. The older model had a softer ride, smoother shifts, was quieter, had nicer build quality, softer leather and more comfortable seats. I don't think the new LS is worth the extra money - especially over an ES. If you just want a car to be reliable and to "drive", buy the ES. You don't need the LS or it's higher price tag...
Old 02-14-12, 05:17 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by scottgolf
i was reading over in the es forum and look what i found.

This guy was answering a es vs ls debate

he says

"My personal opinion? Save your money and buy the ES. I've owned two LSs and two RXs. My 2005 LS430 was nicer than my 2008 LS460L. The older model had a softer ride, smoother shifts, was quieter, had nicer build quality, softer leather and more comfortable seats. I don't think the new LS is worth the extra money - especially over an ES. If you just want a car to be reliable and to "drive", buy the ES. You don't need the LS or it's higher price tag...
Great find - I feel the same way. I am keeping my wonderful old school 06 LS for 4-5 more years until car makers have developed a more refined plug-in hybrid technology, at which point I will likely buy a 2017 Lexus/Acura/Infinity plastified electric go-cart .

Quick Reply: 430 or 460 (The Mother thread.)