LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Timing Belt Condition 02' LS 430 114,000 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-10, 05:08 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

When I purchased my car 4 months ago, one of the last service records showing up on the Lexus site read, replace timing belt. I felt great knowing that the belt was new and that Lexus replaced it with OEM parts. It turns out after extensive research, Lexus did not replace the belt but removed the existing belt and repositioned it due to a traction on light staying on. Apparently, an independent shop had origianlly installed an aftermarket belt and screwed something up. The owner then brought it to Lexus it to reposition it. I wish they would have replaced it with an OEM belt, but I'm still happy that at least it was replaced at the time I purchased the car.
Old 10-04-10, 06:20 PM
nkoppy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the 90k mileage recommendation for changing the timing belt MAY be a bit conservative, but I’m sure there are so many variables that can affect belt life that 90k probably represents the worst case scenario. When the Lexus dealer changed the timing belt on my old ’02 GS 430, it also looked like it was nowhere close to being used up. But, unlike the serpentine belt, there’s no way to periodically check the condition of the timing belt (without ripping the engine apart) - so, better safe than sorry.

In speaking with the Lexus service advisor, while mine was being done, he said he’s seen only one case of a timing belt failing. It was on an LS 430 (not sure of the year) with about 105k on it, and the owner ended up selling the car to the Lexus mechanic, because the repair estimate was nearly as much as the value of the car. (The mechanic fixed it at home, on his own time/dime, and scored an LS for a song!). Bottom line, when timing belts fail they do so spectacularly!

Many years ago, I owned a ’92 Chevrolet Lumina Z34 (3.4 liter, DOHC 24-valve V6). It had a “non-interfering” head (if the timing belt ever failed while the engine was running, the piston and the valves wouldn’t collide). Lexus (and most other manufacturers) don’t use such a non-interfering head design, so ignoring the recommended replacement mileage on you Lexus timing belt is like playing Russian Roulette with your engine (and your pocketbook)...
Old 10-05-10, 06:43 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I know that I've asked this on a previous thread but how big is the time factor here? I only have 26k miles on my 04 but the car is 6 yrs old. The dealer told me that time was a factor as well. I still think that they are lying and just trying to make 1k but would like to hear some educated thoughts on this. Are there any other components more affected by age than mileage for this car?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-10, 06:58 PM
nkoppy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ CarGuy89: They may be on to something. The original tires on a collector car that is bought brand new and never driven will still go bad after a number of years and need to be replaced; the rubber just starts to dry out and crack, even though the tread has no wear. The same might be true for a belt (it is rubber, after all) - but I have no idea about the age vs. mileage limitation for its estimated life. Nonetheless, if 12k miles/yr is considered "average" mileage on a car, it would take 7.5 years of driving to hit the 90k recommended change point. So, if you've got an '04 LS, it might be worth doing within the next year, to be on the safe side. Who knows, you might be able to get another couple of years out of it - or not. You've got a hard call to make here, my friend. Let me know what you decide to do...

Best,
-Nick
Old 10-05-10, 09:48 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by nkoppy
@ CarGuy89: They may be on to something. The original tires on a collector car that is bought brand new and never driven will still go bad after a number of years and need to be replaced; the rubber just starts to dry out and crack, even though the tread has no wear. The same might be true for a belt (it is rubber, after all) - but I have no idea about the age vs. mileage limitation for its estimated life. Nonetheless, if 12k miles/yr is considered "average" mileage on a car, it would take 7.5 years of driving to hit the 90k recommended change point. So, if you've got an '04 LS, it might be worth doing within the next year, to be on the safe side. Who knows, you might be able to get another couple of years out of it - or not. You've got a hard call to make here, my friend. Let me know what you decide to do...

Best,
-Nick
I agree,

I am not a mechanic nor do I pretend to be but I would bet all my money on the fact that time is a factor in timing belt wear as well as usage.

It will dry out over time and become weaker as time goes on------making it more prone to breakage.

Agreed