LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Seat comfort

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 09:12 AM
jgcec
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat comfort

Does anyone think that the seats get less comfortable over time, between new and used?

I like everything about the 2004-6 430 except the seats seem to be too hard.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Since I am in outside sales I am in the car all day, so the seats are very important to me.
Old 10-07-10, 09:21 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

The seats in my 06 don't seem very soft to me. Doesn't seem to be very well cushioned. I think they have to thinly pad the seats to leave room for some of the extremely large wide people that buy these cars. The seats are comfortable to me anyway mostly because of the huge amount of adjustments that can be made. On long trips I tend to adjust the seat slightly every half hour or so just to change pressure points.
Old 10-07-10, 09:50 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jgcec
Does anyone think that the seats get less comfortable over time, between new and used?

I like everything about the 2004-6 430 except the seats seem to be too hard.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Since I am in outside sales I am in the car all day, so the seats are very important to me.
I found that once I adjusted the seat bottom length to my liking, the seat felt much more comfortable. The seat bottom length is controlled by the upper, front control on the side of the seat.
Old 10-07-10, 11:57 AM
McSwine
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2 biggest disappointments I have coming from a LS400 to the 430 are the seats and far crappier standard stereo.
Old 10-07-10, 12:28 PM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think there's going to be a certain amount of padding compression or 'settling in' over time which you really can't avoid. Fwiw, here's a cutaway picture of whats underneath the surface leather which doesn't solve your problem but you might find interesting ...
Attached Thumbnails Seat comfort-..ls430_seat-3-.jpg  
Old 10-07-10, 03:59 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes i do think the seat are made to accomodate larger frames. By myself being a kinda slim person, there is a lot of space in the seat for me while driving which i really dont mind. Seats seems comfortable to me in most of my driving. Only complaint is the leather in the middle of the bottom section seems to be loosening up. I guess due to cushion fatigue. Wonder can i add a layer of foam underneath to take up some of the slack???
Old 10-07-10, 07:35 PM
jgcec
Driver

Default hard seats

thank you all for your comments.

Have you driven any car that is close to the LS in ride, but with softer seats, not including the LS 460?
Old 10-07-10, 08:18 PM
Jabberwock

The seats are so much better than my old Acura RL - I loved that car but the seats in that thing were uncomfortable and hard as a rock. After a while my wife refused to ride in it for anything over 30 min. That's the primary reason I got rid of it and got the LS - glad I did. LS seats aren't perfect but they are pretty darn good.

If I was buying a car for seat comfort only - Volvos, Jags and Land Rovers generally seem to get very good reviews for the comfort of their seats.
Old 10-08-10, 08:42 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
The seats are so much better than my old Acura RL - I loved that car but the seats in that thing were uncomfortable and hard as a rock. After a while my wife refused to ride in it for anything over 30 min. That's the primary reason I got rid of it and got the LS - glad I did. LS seats aren't perfect but they are pretty darn good.

If I was buying a car for seat comfort only - Volvos, Jags and Land Rovers generally seem to get very good reviews for the comfort of their seats.

Really? What year RL did you own?
Old 10-08-10, 10:29 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 273 Likes on 230 Posts

I have found my LS430 seat to be by far the most comfortable seat I have ever experienced in my driving career. It is equivalent to sitting on a Lazyboy on wheels. I'd like to point out that my car does not have the cooled seat feature and therefore has a much softer feel to the seat cover.
Old 10-09-10, 05:02 AM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by lexuslspro
Really? What year RL did you own?
I had a 89 Legend and drove it 10 years - good seat, then a 99 RL and drove it 10 years - absolutely loved it but the seats felt hard as a rock to us. Then I bought the 06 LS instead of a new Acura because I felt the 2009 RL was just not a great value anymore (400 voice commands, upteen gadgets sitting on top of a glorified Honda Accord).

So we bought a used Lexus 06 LS for $20k less than a new RL, and have never looked back. We love the LS especially its comfort and ride. I will almost certainly drive the 06 LS until 2019 (if it and I last that long). Then it will be time for an electric fuel cell ammoniated hydride lithium beryllium ion fratastatic-mobile..ugh.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 10-09-10 at 05:06 AM.
Old 10-09-10, 08:10 AM
vollandt
Driver

the foam under the drivers seat had begun to settle around the center on my 2001 ls430. the difference compared to the passenger seat was noticeable. I just replaced the foam on the drivers seat with a new oem piece. the seat is much more comfortable to me now. the oem foam was a little pricey (about 150). the upholstery shop that installed the foam for me said they could have restored the seat regular bulk foam for much cheaper, but i wanted to make sure the contour profile and stiffness where as per the original seat design.
Old 10-09-10, 10:10 AM
m3nv
Pole Position

I had a TL before the LS and the seats in the LS are 100 times nicer.
Old 10-10-10, 09:16 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just drove 300 miles in 2 days and I just dont get tired while driving with this car. I find the seats to be perfect firmness for me...
Old 10-11-10, 07:36 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

with 55K on the meter I find the driver seat to be compressing some,, notice it on the last 500 mile trip,, seemed like I was not setting on much foam,,

agree on the older Volvos and the S500 (140 body) as having excellent seats,, I'm 6'4" and weigh 220,, to bad Lexus did not offer a good copy of the Volvo seats,,

Derry

Last edited by CG lover; 10-11-10 at 08:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Seat comfort