LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

can I upgrade only the rear speakers ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 10:22 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts
Default can I upgrade only the rear speakers ?

My car is a 2005 LS with the Lexus premium stereo. I want to add 50 watt Alpine amplifier and use it to run 2 upgraded rear speakers.

Can an aftermarket amplifier wired to rear speakers be added to my system without causing problems ?

I am wondering because this simple change was not possible on my last car, which had a factory Bose system.

Thanks
Old 10-07-10, 10:26 AM
darkchild7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you would have to change all the speakers because if you were to power the rear speakers using an aftermarket amp then the factory amp and the aftermarket amp might conflict and resulting an distortion or crappy sound. thanks
Old 10-07-10, 03:44 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=Stu;5845921]My car is a 2005 LS with the Lexus premium stereo. I want to add 50 watt Alpine amplifier and use it to run 2 upgraded rear speakers.

It will be a messy situation. Not worth t it imho. You are going to cause all sorts of imaging issues. now if you simply hell bent on changing the speakers to have them go louder with a beefier amp, then yes, it CAN be done, but you are starting from the wrong direction. Usually- upgrades, should start with your front stage, not your rears.You want the quality up front, not at the rear. But at the end of the day, it is your car, good luck. I personally think it's going to sound WORSE than the stock setup. No offense, but to go through all that to put on a 25 watt amp is a waste of time. If you are not going to do it right, and by right I mean, changing the whole system, I.E. Using a clean sweep type of product that will allow you to use aftermarket amps for your upgraded speakers, don't even get your pry tool out.

Last edited by Lust4Lexus; 10-07-10 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-07-10, 06:18 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what speakers are a nice upgrade over the stock ones without changing any amps,, just a good speaker swap for front and of course rear (cuz my rear sounds so muffled as it is,, ML system)...
Old 10-08-10, 03:36 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
what speakers are a nice upgrade over the stock ones without changing any amps,, just a good speaker swap for front and of course rear (cuz my rear sounds so muffled as it is,, ML system)...
Honestly, I don't know. I'm not sure if the full range speakers present the whole issue with the resistance as the subwoofer does. You can look for raw drivers from scanspeak or vifa to name 2, and if they match up closely you should be good to go. However, it will be hard to have a seamless integration, unless you have an active crossover, but then you are asking for a whole other can of worms. To be honest, The engineers were not stupid when they designed this system, while far from perfect or truly high end, it is a decent setup. The system is also designed to make it difficult for the layman just to swap drivers with higher quality parts. They use spekaers with very high efficiency in order to skimp on providing a high current amp. again- not ideal, but smart in the fact that you are locked into their system unless you start from scratch and replace the whole shebang.