LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Buying a 2004 Lexus LS430

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 10:03 PM
NitrousNik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2004 Lexus LS430

I'm in the market for an LS430. I know they are a very reliable car, but i was wondering what I need to look for when buying one of these(preferably with the updated body style).
Old 10-07-10, 10:08 PM
NitrousNik
Driver School Candidate

Old 10-07-10, 10:18 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

You are correct that LS430s, as a whole compared to other luxury vehicles, are more reliable. However, they are not problem free and it is one of the few vehicles where it is generally recommended that you purchase one from a Lexus Dealer as a pre owned CPO rather than buying from a third party dealer as with the photo you posted above (by the way, you will find that Flint Mica is generally the best regarded color around here). It is also best to avoid early 2004s as they had some small teething problems with the 6 speed automatic (an early recall replacing the entire transmission on the earliest of 2004s, and TSBs for poor shifting later on) etc. Some weak points to check out on ANY LS430 you look at... Check the tilt and telescope steering mechanism for noise as this is a common and expensive failure point if the telescope or tilt quits working, check the speakers to make sure none of them are blown, avoid the Ultra Luxury trim if at all possible unless you absolutely need the air suspension and the reclining rear seat as the air suspension is costly to put right and does break, check for any noises or grinding when driving as this could indicate a worn or damaged wheel bearing(s).

Your best bet is to thoroughly read through CarGuy89's thread which has a great deal of useful information from when he was doing his car search. Thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...our-input.html

Keep in mind that the best LS430s tend to be at Lexus dealers and only what is traded in directly, or the "left overs" at auctions end up at third party dealers. Some dealers also purchase cars from Lexus dealers that they decided not to keep on their own lot.

Finally, it is of abundant importance to ensure you buy a car with FULL service history. These cars should have service at approximately 5k intervals as required by Lexus. It is extremely easy to verify what services (and any other work including body work occasionally) has been done to any particular Lexus vehicle by registering at the Lexus Drivers site located here: https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/

Once you register, you can upload the VIN of any Lexus you are looking at, click on SERVICE HISTORY and see everything ever done to the car by the dealer from day one. Try to only upload as little as possible as I have heard they can cancel your account if you do too many.

As always, use vehicle history reports to help with your search.

Good luck.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 10-07-10 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-07-10, 10:26 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have 114k on my 04 and not one single problem with the car, Premium edition. Make sure everything works b4uby.
Old 10-08-10, 01:24 AM
raclfnoway
Driver School Candidate

I like LS460!
Old 10-08-10, 04:05 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Everything playdrv4me has said is excellent advice. Check out my thread (as linked by playdrv) when I was selecting my car. Everyone on here is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Here is my take on it: Try to find a low mileage car with a good service history. This means the car should have gone in for a service every 5k miles (oil change, other checks/routine maint). Pass on ones that don't really have much of a history. Unless the previous owner kept all the receipts where the work is done....you never know. A neglected car is just as bad as one that left the factory below par. Avoid the cars that have gone too frequently as are likely pretty problematic. Keep in mind that although Toyota/Lexus is known for their reliability and quality, not all of their cars are perfect. Their reputation merely means that they do better than most.

In addition to the service, run a car fax and autocheck on the car. If you're not planning on buying CPO, then make sure you get a pre-purchase inspection to make sure the car is in good shape. This is probably the best you can do on paper.

If you decide that car is a good fit and go see it in person, make sure that all the body panels (doors, fenders) have the original VIN sticker on them. This is a noticeable black label with white words on it, impossible to remove. Panels that have been replaced won't have these tags on them. You may also want a reputable body shop to have a look at it.

I recommend a low mileage car (obvious reasons aside) b/c it was likely driven by an older/retired person who treated the car gently. Keep looking on various car websites. I found mine on Autotrader and as soon as pics went up I called the dealer to hold the car for me. Mine was probably top dollar for a 2004 at $25.2k before tax, but it has modern luxury pack (nav, bluetooth, backup camera, heated/cooled front seats. heated rear seats, upgraded audio, rear sunshade), CPO warranty (I have 3 yrs/100k miles as of days of purchase), and the best part: only 25k miles (now has 26.7k). Car hasn't set a foot wrong during my month of driving it. Everything about it is excellent and impresses me everytime I drive it. Good luck with your search and be patient. Also, don't back out just b/c it isn't CPO'ed. If you think it's a good fit, then look at the service history/car fax/autocheck. I do advise that you ignore 3rd party dealers. Some may be good, but many that advertise a nice car might not be so good underneath (severe accident + repaired cheaply, flood, others that they don't disclose).
Old 10-08-10, 09:40 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

There's good advice above. Spend about an hour in this LS430 forum reading threads about buying a LS430 and you should have plenty of knowledge about the subject.
Old 10-08-10, 03:32 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've learned a lot in the last couple of months on here about these cars. I pick my own up next friday and I feel that I've made a much more informed decision in regards to my purchase after having read through threads on this forum.

Read as much as you can,confirm things in person when looking at cars at a dealer's or privately,and make an informed decision.

Justin...
Old 10-08-10, 07:51 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 283 Likes on 238 Posts

I agree with all the advice above and would emphasize of utmost importance having the service records as close to every 5,000 miles as possible. If no service records, rethink your decision to purchase it. In addition, mileage should not be the main factor as these cars are indeed workhorses that will go many trouble free miles if SERVICED REGULARLY. Good luck.
Old 10-09-10, 03:31 AM
tkbalt
Driver

+1 on CPO. We bought an 03 in March of 09 w/36K miles for 20K. Very pleased with the car - now at 55K miles. Front parking sensors were replaced under CPO in mid 09 - covered under CPO.

We have had 3 or 4 of the ES series - all low miles, generally 3 to 4 years old when we pick them up and then drive them for 3 to 4 years. We always purchase CPO vehicles and have had to use the warranty on most of them.

The LS is way more car than the ES models - we love it.

If you get a properly serviced, low miles vehicle, you should not have any problems.
Old 10-09-10, 10:12 AM
m3nv
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had my 04 since 2006 and I think I only took it in for a warranty related repair once or twice. The car is really reliable (knock on wood).
Old 10-09-10, 05:03 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another plus point is that these cars are very modern. None of my friends or other people believe that the car is 6 yrs old and has all this cool tech in it . I usually take longer at the car wash b/c at least 1 or 2 people approach me and ask me about the car. I always catch fellow luxury car drivers on the road check out this car too
Old 10-09-10, 09:53 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 283 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Another plus point is that these cars are very modern. None of my friends or other people believe that the car is 6 yrs old and has all this cool tech in it . I usually take longer at the car wash b/c at least 1 or 2 people approach me and ask me about the car. I always catch fellow luxury car drivers on the road check out this car too
It is true that unless you are dealing with someone who knows cars, most people don't think our cars are as old as they really are.
Old 10-10-10, 08:39 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
It is true that unless you are dealing with someone who knows cars, most people don't think our cars are as old as they really are.
Even I don't believe my car is as old as it really is!
Old 10-10-10, 11:09 AM
Michael430
Driver School Candidate

NitrousNik
If you are looking at the car in the picture, it would appear to be an 05 model. The 04's had 6 spoke wheels instead of the 5 spoke shone. Maybe an 05 for a 04 Price?

Quick Reply: Buying a 2004 Lexus LS430