LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

05 LS430 iSimple PXAMG iPod iPhone connection HDradio--Help Where is FM antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-10, 12:56 PM
bluefranky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 LS430 iSimple PXAMG iPod iPhone connection HDradio--Help Where is FM antenna?

I wanted to add an ipod connection and HD radio to my factory radio. I did get the wire harness adaptor for Lexus PGHTY1 the the modules. I removed the factory radio and was fairly simple.

I plugged everything and turned everything on and WOW the HD sound is amazing!! What a diffrence! I justed a screwdriver as my antenna just to try it. But here is the problem.

Where is the FM antenna connection? In the instructions it say to I may have a diversity antenna and to cut a wire in pin 18 and merge it with pin 20 on the main 20 pin connector in the factory wiring. I was a bit nervous to do that but I did and the reception is the same....Still bad and I can not find the wiring diagram for the factory harness. So I need some guidance. Anyone can help? Please.

Frank

Last edited by bluefranky; 10-10-10 at 08:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-10-10, 08:41 AM
bluefranky
Driver School Candidate

Ok found the Antenna! It is in the trunk! So now I have the HD radio module in the front but the tuner and antenna in the trunk. Also it is not the standard connection. Its a 2 pin plastic connector lexus specific.

So it looks like I have two options finish my installation:

1) find an adapter for the antenna to split it and run an antenna cable to the front and connect it to the HD module

2) Get in in-car antenna that mounts to the windshield and its done. The one I found has an amplifier so it will need a 12V and ground connection

3) Maybe as an alternative is to put the modules isimple gateway and HDradio in the trunk with the tuner--Not sure if the pin connector is the same but may work---Run the ipod connection to the front.

4) Maybe there is a antenna connection in the front from one of the many colored wires but I doubt it. I need to wire schematics--so far I can not find it here nor googling it.

For now, I am enjoying the HD radio and ipod connection by using a metal hanger and plugged it to input FM antenna. works great for now.

Truly the sound of HD radio is way way better then just FM and the ipod connection is must! really a must! I wish I did this 2 years ago when I got my iphone!!! So if you are thinking about it just dont wait pull the trigger!! The ipod connection is fully integrated with the radio. You can see song and artist name and much more.

I will post an update once I call tech support at isimple.
Thanks
Frank
Old 10-10-10, 09:03 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have actually yet to hear HD radio. Sounds like an awesome mod you've done. Thanks for posting up some good details. Unfortunately I have no idea how to fix your problem. Props to you for undertaking a pretty involved job
Old 10-11-10, 12:27 AM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the antenna connector is a round plug with two long straight male pins,it's most likely a diversity antenna,and you should be able to get a conversion plug from any car audio shop for a few bucks.

Do you have any pics of the job? I'm interested in how you did it.

Justin...
Old 10-31-10, 08:45 PM
ac2828
Driver School Candidate

I actually have done the setup. You have to buy a part called LX 10 male antenna adaptor and LX 20 female antenna adaptor and a Y splitter and adaptor extension http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=6649. You have to unplug the diversity antenna from amplfier in the trunk and plug the LX 10 adaptor into the diversity antenna and plug the other end of LX 10 into Y splitter. You need an antenna extension from Y splitter in the trunk to front of car to plug into HD radio antenna input ( I asked a guy from Best Buy car installation to help me run the wire ).
The other end of the Y splitter connect LX 20 adaptor to it and connect the end of LX 20 into the amplfier. This set up works OK but the reception is not great.
I think what happens is the LX 10 antenna adaptor only utilized one side of the diversity antenna ( there are a total of 2 input, one from each side of rear windshield ). As a result , we are using one side of the windshield antenna.
I am trying to find an independent antenna for the HD radio where I can plug into the glove compartment where I keep the HD radio and IPOD input and keep the orginal diversity antenna setup which was working fine before all of change.
Please let me know how it works out for you