Expressing my Dissapointment at BC Racing Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-10, 05:15 PM
CelsiorAUS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Expressing my Dissapointment at BC Racing Coilovers

All

Several months ago I bought s 2001 LS430. After a while i got the urge to lower with rims as you do. On my last ride a 1998 LS400 I went with Tein CS Coilovers and must say they are remarkable and were better than stock.

Enter BC Racing br type coilovers. After many good reviews I decided to save myself a few bucks and go with the BC's.

$1300 TO buy, $150 to install I set them up correctly with preload etc and left them at stock damper which is 7. Wow very very hard and bumpy. I immediately changed these to 25. It was more manageble but very harsh. This is riding on the stock 17s awaiting to buy 20s.

Anyway So besides the harshness i get clunking from the rear whenever i go over a big bump or off a curb or something which isnt very nice.

So this was manageble and the day came to buy 20s. I fitted them brand new tyres and rims and wow my car was like driving on a rock. Very stiff, very bumpy and felt like complete ****.

My memories of Tein CS on my LS400 with 20s were a nice smooth ride yet these BC's are terrible terrible.

The wheels came off straight away and have now sold them at a loss. The suspension is coming off next week and probably wont be able to sell them because theres not many people in australia with LS430s so all up, im down about 2000 dollars and back to where i started.

Now to get the proper ride i have to buy the tiens and new wheels which is going to be an expensive exercise.

I emailed BC racing in australia to try to get their opnion but with no reply im left with no choice to voice my opinion on a website. If I can stop one person from buying these them it will be worth it.

Dont waste your time these are rough as hell.
Old 10-14-10, 06:51 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im sorry your experience with BC Racing was bad, however I have them on my 06 GS and absolutely love them they ride better than the tein H tech springs I had prior to these. I did however have my springs changed to their lower spring rate 8k and 6k and have no complaints. I will also say that this is the only car I have ever lowered and am very pleased with the ride quality!
Old 10-14-10, 09:47 PM
Celsior21
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would expect there is some sort of damper adjustments? I am picking up a set of BC soon as well.
Old 10-18-10, 05:21 AM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're still under warranty right? Take them back to Just jap and say they're noisy and you want a refund.

Justin...
Old 10-18-10, 08:32 AM
drpatel77
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ..

wow.. that's crazy... i have been searching around and was about to settle on BC as well... but still debating b/c on my current ride i have Tein SS and luv em.... but for my lexus not sure if 2 go with BC / stance or Tein...
Old 10-18-10, 11:23 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

CelsiorAUS, your previous Tein CS rode soft because they came with really soft springs. I believe they were 6/4 (f/r) kg/mm spring rates for the LS400, which are much softer than the standard BC's 10/8 for the LS430.

No amount of damper adjustment would make up for the the stiffer springs. You could probably go with an 8/6 spring setup and be within the limits of the shock valvings. No need to dump the whole suspension, although it is a turn off to spend more money on new springs and installation.
Old 10-18-10, 11:29 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

it is a completely different ride but as long as the roads aren't too bad mine rides fine. but its like trading in your ls430 ride for a 5 series bmw ride, to me at least.
Old 10-18-10, 04:32 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get lower spring rated springs I have BCR with 8 & 6k springs. Circuit Motorsports hooked it up for me my car rides great not harsh at all!
Old 10-18-10, 05:05 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

my car with BCRs rides very smooth and the dampening is set to i believe 12 front and 8 rear from softest. i do have that small clunk noise every once and a while that some people seem to get.
Old 10-19-10, 05:19 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

very smooth in a GS is different than an LS though. i'm not saying one is better than the other because everyone has their preferences but when going from a gs400 to an ls430 i immediately noticed a huge difference. the LS just sort of floats like a cadi to me and after a few months i missed the smooth sporty connected feel that the gs had. now with the bc coils on the LS430 i believe i have sort of the best of both,, or the worst of both...
Old 10-19-10, 03:42 PM
CelsiorAUS
Driver

Does anyone have a contact or email for BC as ive contacted the people i bought from and bc australia with no reply.
Old 10-19-10, 06:23 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only way Just jap will give you your money back is if you take the struts and your receipt down there,put them on the counter and ask for it. No shop over here is going to jump to help you from an email.

Justin...
Old 10-19-10, 07:18 PM
CelsiorAUS
Driver

Thanks justin. I have written an email to justjap plus the head office in taiwan and will follow it up with fair trading department.

Such a shame and waste of money. It taught me to just stick with Tein
Old 10-19-10, 09:43 PM
CelsiorAUS
Driver

After my email to the head office I had a call immediately from the australian supplier hwo advised me he had not recieved any of my emails.

He has been very pleasant to deal with and wants to come to a resolution. I am bringing my lexus into their workshop to check the issue with the clunking, and is asking head office if they can supply me with a softer spring set up.

I was wondering if its possible to replicate the ride of the tein CS by using the same 6k 4k setupo or would 8k 6k be suitable?

Does anyone have any idea if 6k 4k is possible on the Tein CS?
Old 12-27-10, 10:43 AM
Milan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update on this? I'm looking to lower my LS430 and am considering the BC coilovers but this thread makes me second-guess.

Quick Reply: Expressing my Dissapointment at BC Racing Coilovers