LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS 430 the best car ever made

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-11, 04:06 AM
airahcaz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
If you where to take out the reliability/maintanence factor I would take an A8 in a heartbeat over my 04 LS.
good one - I personally think that is a top factor for me and most
Old 08-06-11, 05:39 AM
vollandt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
If you where to take out the reliability/maintanence factor I would take an A8 in a heartbeat over my 04 LS. I drove an 05 and was smiling ear to ear when I stepped out of the car. The LS sure is reliable and consistent though. I have heard people relate to it as boring, while I find it not so boring compared to the A8 it is. Never drove a comparable Benz, or Jaguar did dive a M45 which was not real high on my list.
I am so used to the way the silkiness of the LS and how it keeps the vibrations from coming in the car. I test drove an A8 and bmw 7 series in the past year. Both have have advantages in certain areas over the LS, but neither keep the keep the vibrations at bay as well as the LS. I know that with each rev, they are inching closer to the LS while handling on to their handling advantages, but IMO aren't their yet. For road trips on american highways were all i can do is just sit there and point the car, the LS is the car to beat.
Old 08-07-11, 06:36 AM
99LSBrad
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The 430 is so smooth and quiet. It is easily the best car I've ever owned. Loved my 99 LS400, but it really doesn't compare with the 430, at least in the areas I'm interested in.

The 400 is still in the family. I sold it to my brother earlier this year. He loves it!
Old 08-07-11, 08:32 AM
airahcaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by mdawg630
The best freakin car ever made hands down !!! The only thing bad is the rear wheel drive thats it everything else perfect !! Comments everyone ?
even better than the current 460?
Old 08-07-11, 10:40 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslspro
I have to laugh here a little. Mercedes become the pinnacle of highest class luxury cars and then went straight down the drain.
Something I wish the LS400 had was double pained windows. The ls430 does right? Don't tell me you have to get the UL for that...lol
An independent MB mechanic I know thinks about everything MB made after about 1990 is all downhill.

Laminated side windows are in the CL and UL trim levels.
Old 08-07-11, 07:58 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 432 Likes on 356 Posts

Everyone I've ever talked to said that the 98-00 LS400 was actually superior to the LS430 and considered the LS400 the best car of all time. I

I personally think the LS430 is the best Lexus sedan to come out since the original LS400.
Old 08-07-11, 08:15 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
Everyone I've ever talked to said that the 98-00 LS400 was actually superior to the LS430 and considered the LS400 the best car of all time.
Both are spectacular, I don't think I'd argue either way. The 98-00 probably edges out the 430 in some ways, the 430 is way more updated and beats the 400 in others. Nothing like the big plunge to the 460. But the main problem is finding a pristine 98-00 - cars don't get any younger and even finding a pristine '04'-'06 430 is hard.
Old 08-08-11, 06:56 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Everyone...Has everyone owned both? The best car of all time...all time?
Old 08-09-11, 03:50 AM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this cars so great i wanna get the ls600 =P
Old 08-09-11, 10:05 AM
JonHsiung
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the LS400 and that's why I got the LS430. Great cars, extremely reliable, and undeniably smooth. Test drove everything else out there but was too worried about German reliability. The Jag was very unimpressive and my good friend (who owned a LS400) told me about his Jag XJ8 stories later (engine problems, etc), which made me even more confident I made the right decision.
Old 08-09-11, 10:44 AM
debian
Driver

Best car ever made! That is a bit over zealous. Especially when you look closely at the LS 430 and see how much of it is copied. It is a fine car indeed and I do not have any complaints with mine. However, maybe I am revealing my age, I would say that if you had the privilege to drive the 1993 Mercedes Benz 600SEL you might change your tune. The W140 is the car that set the standard for the modern big luxury sedan, and most other companies still have not given their cars such power and elegance. Now, you might argue that it is unfair to compare a V8 to a V12...I am simply comparing flagship to flagship. The back seat is cavernous you can have sex in there comfortably with a leggy model bird(a tall chick). Reclining rear seats, power rear view mirrors, controls in the back, keyless entry all that was started there and windows that can't close on your arms. You can fit two bodies in the trunk - GANGSTER. Power, speed, looks and comfort. The down side....9 miles per gallon. It was called El Presidente for a reason!
Cheers,
PS "on the W140 that was over 100,000 miles you would need to fix the air conditioning and that was a $6000 job...this is a man's car, not for the meek."

Last edited by debian; 08-09-11 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-09-11, 12:46 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by debian
Best car ever made! That is a bit over zealous. Especially when you look closely at the LS 430 and see how much of it is copied. It is a fine car indeed and I do not have any complaints with mine. However, maybe I am revealing my age, I would say that if you had the privilege to drive the 1993 Mercedes Benz 600SEL you might change your tune. The W140 is the car that set the standard for the modern big luxury sedan, and most other companies still have not given their cars such power and elegance. Now, you might argue that it is unfair to compare a V8 to a V12...I am simply comparing flagship to flagship. The back seat is cavernous you can have sex in there comfortably with a leggy model bird(a tall chick). Reclining rear seats, power rear view mirrors, controls in the back, keyless entry all that was started there and windows that can't close on your arms. You can fit two bodies in the trunk - GANGSTER. Power, speed, looks and comfort. The down side....9 miles per gallon. It was called El Presidente for a reason!
Cheers,
PS "on the W140 that was over 100,000 miles you would need to fix the air conditioning and that was a $6000 job...this is a man's car, not for the meek."

yeah i gotta agree with you ian that that MB was a great car. there are a few that i would put on the all time best list with that w140 and ls400/430 being on that list with a few others. however i think each car is good in its own right and for different reasons, so unless you have a specific set of criteria (bias) then you are just offering up what you feel is best for possibly what fits your needs. some may say a 2 seater roadster is their all time best, you know¿

our 430 definitely excels in its market but it does certain other things poorly,, but it may be unfair to hold it to certain standards that it was never designed to possess (speed, cornering, etc)...
Old 08-09-11, 01:38 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for the W140. Rode in a 99 S320 and it was unbelievably quiet, refined and comfortable. It definitely goes on my list of one of the best luxury sedans in the world, along with the LS400/430 of course
Old 08-09-11, 01:51 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by debian
Cheers,
Sorry, have owned both LS4 and LS430 and the SEL and another S Class... if the comparison is strictly ride, looks, ability to bed women in the back, etc, then that is far far different than ownership - cause repairs were astronomical for the MB.

I remember one time at a rest stop, the car would not start. It turned out that the alarm shut down the whole system, so the MB was so foolish at thievery, that it shut itself down for the owner! Want more? At one point I would press the horn and the wiper blades would operate, like it was possessed. The front rims would be ridiculously dirty from brake dust, but not the rears. Lots of quirks that made no sense at all!

For the LS4, the automatic antennae broke, and so wouldn't fully extend upwards, but no major repairs. Leather was soft and subtle as can be, unlike the MB.
For the LS430, zero repairs other than routine maintenance.
Old 08-10-11, 02:39 PM
debian
Driver

Growing up we had various MB's in the family. They all had a fair share of time at the mechanic shop. I never recall us having the anti theft system shut the car down. I do remember that it was easier to get replacement parts for MB's that were the generation before because so many were interchangeable and that was not the case in the '93.
I grew up in another country and these cars were given to us as government vehicles, so in truth we didn't foot the bill for repairs. They were choosen because they were reliable, spacious, stylish and there weren't other vehicles at the time that had the Lexus reliability that we now expect.
That period of time was when the last set of good MB's were made. In fact I still prefer the look of the 1970's ones more than the new ones.
Ownership, for those with a lifestyle, definitely entails style, prestige, and a certain aura. Mercedes Benz sells itself in that regard. They are living off of that old quality that has since gone. Lexus although close, has not obtained that yet. Though I think the LFA is a step in that sort of exciting direction.
Cheers,
Ian

Last edited by debian; 08-11-11 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply: LS 430 the best car ever made