LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

governor setting 131 mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-10, 08:57 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Going 125+ mph in a 4k lb car outfitted with consumer level brakes is not safe driving and that's what we are all responsible for doing when driving on a public road. Please don't take the chance (however small) of hurting an innocent person if something goes wrong with the car, debris on the road, animal crossing road, etc, etc. - all the bad stuff that isn't supposed to happen but always happens at the worst possible time.

By all means if you want to drive super fast, check out a local race track - almost all of them have open lap times periodically.
Old 10-28-10, 09:19 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Going 125+ mph in a 4k lb car outfitted with consumer level brakes is not safe driving ....
On a public road, driving at this speed is worse than unsafe driving, its criminal.

Maybe you dont give a crap about your life, which is sad, but to risk the lives of everyone else using the road you're racing down at that speed, innocent drivers and their passengers, kids, parents etc., I'm sorry, its just plain stupid, selfish and childish behaviour. Smarten up before someone gets badly hurt of killed ~
Old 10-29-10, 04:20 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Going 125+ mph in a 4k lb car outfitted with consumer level brakes is not safe driving and that's what we are all responsible for doing when driving on a public road. Please don't take the chance (however small) of hurting an innocent person if something goes wrong with the car, debris on the road, animal crossing road, etc, etc. - all the bad stuff that isn't supposed to happen but always happens at the worst possible time.

By all means if you want to drive super fast, check out a local race track - almost all of them have open lap times periodically.
Great advice. Before you visit the track, carefully read the fine print of your car insurance policy. A couple years ago State Farm added a clause to my policy that excludes coverage while the vehicle is

"ON A TRACK DESIGNED PRIMARILY FOR RACING OR HIGH-SPEED DRIVING. This exclusion (19.b.) does not apply if the vehicle is being used in connection with an activity other than racing, high-speed driving, or any type of competitive driving..."

So, I guess I'm covered if I'm taking a low-speed parade lap at MIS, but would pay for any damages out-of-pocket if I'm taking hot laps on the same track or participating in an autocross event.

Last edited by caddyowner; 10-29-10 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-29-10, 05:17 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
On a public road, driving at this speed is worse than unsafe driving, its criminal.

Maybe you dont give a crap about your life, which is sad, but to risk the lives of everyone else using the road you're racing down at that speed, innocent drivers and their passengers, kids, parents etc., I'm sorry, its just plain stupid, selfish and childish behaviour. Smarten up before someone gets badly hurt of killed ~
I agree with you here. However, I think most ppl are thinking about a wide open stretch of straight road on a clear day(I am anyways) with 3 lanes or so of space, meaning no traffic in view (no people to endanger) and plenty of room to play with. I definitely don't support racing in traffic though, glad I got those idiotic days out of the way in high school.
Old 10-29-10, 05:21 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes safety is paramount, remind you I am bumping this ultrasafe car up to 120-125 and down to 75-80 in a nanosecond on safe roads I can see from a hilltop. I have new tires on a well maintained over engineerd car. My first point was I go weeks/month without the chance to do this safely on one spot I have driven for 10 years. Believe me I do not want to make the newspapers.

Good words though, thanks! Criminal some would say, ok. Politics, drunken driving, war, crossing the ten commandments, criminal. I was just wondering where the governor is on this car I have not been able to safely hit in 60k miles. I have like what 10 air bags, stab control, trac control as far as not caring about my life that is why I bought this car.
Again thanks I will for sure keep your words in mind if whenever get the itch to go faster.
Old 10-29-10, 11:19 AM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Yes safety is paramount .... Again thanks I will for sure keep your words in mind if whenever get the itch to go faster.
I came off sounding harsh .... I should have said it in a more respectful way, buy you seemed to get my point and were not offended, so I thank you for that.

Slowing down saves lives. Drive safe and enjoy the ride
Old 10-29-10, 12:57 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stu
I came off sounding harsh .... I should have said it in a more respectful way, buy you seemed to get my point and were not offended, so I thank you for that.

Slowing down saves lives. Drive safe and enjoy the ride
This has turned this into a slow down thread. Let's focus on drunk driving and distracted driving. I think most will agree that's more pressing,more common,more dangerous.

Hitting 150 MPH for less than 15% of a minute is hardly as dangerous assuming roads (highway) are empty and the one behind the wheel has a good amount of safe driving experience under his belt.

STU, who did you vote for in our mayoral elections?
Old 10-29-10, 02:29 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by lexuslspro
.... STU, who did you vote for in our mayoral elections?
LOL, I will gladly discuss political issues, but never say who I vote for.
Old 10-29-10, 03:16 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by honeygee2
MY 2003 430 speed limiter is set at 131. The main reason is tires. But not that I would ever do it but the car will do 131 without even trying hard. It will stay at 131 as long as your nerve holds up. Don't ask me how i know.

Funny thing is my other car is an es 330 and its limited at 143.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/lexus/2...30-ar1189.html
My Bridgestone Pole Positions can handle 168mph+

Of course they are 245/45/18 and not the factory 17"
Old 10-29-10, 04:21 PM
Stu
Racer

The ContiExtreme Contact DWS I just bought are rated up to 186 miles per hour.

I guess I need to drive a LOT faster, lol, I don't want to waste the tires !
Old 10-29-10, 05:05 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
The ContiExtreme Contact DWS I just bought are rated up to 186 miles per hour.

I guess I need to drive a LOT faster, lol, I don't want to waste the tires !
That is one of the reasons why I want to swap my tires (when they're worn out) to DWS's!! It's not that I aspire to hit 180+, it's more the sense that the tire is capable beyond my basic needs and adds that extra bit of security (much like my car, computer, etc). How are you liking them btw? I hear excellent things about them. I am disappointed that they're not offered for the stock 17in rims
Old 10-29-10, 08:20 PM
Stu
Racer

They are great tires. I am very happy with them. My car wandered a lot and this really improved it alot !

They are made 17s ....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS

They are just out of stock they sold so well

I have 18s, so I was lucky.
Old 10-30-10, 03:33 AM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and of course no one on here ever uses their cell phones or texts doing the 70 mph limit. I would rather be completly focused for a few seconds doing 125 in the car than driving down a busy interstate at 70 talking or texting or reading my phone. Just my two cents...flame away!
Old 10-30-10, 05:45 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Stu thanks for reminding me I do have to be careful. Just for your peace of mind this is rural Wisconsin at 8 am moms and kids are either in school, shopping(yikes) or sleeping and usually just commuters are on the road hugging the slow lane.

We all agree the LS is a fine auto, but the thing it does as well or better than its rivals is go straight, quitely, smoothly with its torquey v8 whirling away. So it is hard not to take er to the limit once in a while with great caution.

"I am a good driver" remember the movie? Wisconsin winter driving tests your skills and I log 30 k a year just on this car going to work and winter driving up to the snow/ski belt in the UP. I drive 80-85 to work when safe otherwise just totally tuned to the road. Road construction zones I am 5 over in the slow lane. These are the real dangerous areas to drive in as I see escalades wisk past me with concrete bariers creating just a two lane tunnel for travel.

You just have to be so careful of the other guy.
Old 10-30-10, 11:01 AM
Stu
Racer

warminwisc, I agree and if I am ever in rural Wisconsin, I will watch out for you ! lol

Quick Reply: governor setting 131 mpg?