LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

what rubs/scrapes,, those tuckin and/or w/ aggressive fitments¿¿¿

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-10, 11:54 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what rubs/scrapes,, those tuckin and/or w/ aggressive fitments¿¿¿

so my question is to all who have an ls430 that is tucking and/or super flush with aggressive big wheels is, what rubs or scrapes on your car?

i am uber flush in the rear with 275x30x20 rear tire & 20x10.5 +29 offset rear wheel, and i have the 5mm shorter rear lateral arms installed so i have 5mm less gap.

so far i have had modded the following:
*rear fenders shaved,
*shaved the rear tab at like 4.30 (if the rear wheel well were a clock)
*cut about the outer most 3 inches of fender liner closest to the fender lip
*had the tacks that hold the rear fender liner shaved down to the nubs

i have a slight rub on what i can only imagine to be the rear fender liners themselves now and that is just barely when i hit big dips. i am tucking about a half inch of tire in the rear but don't think i could go any lower comfortably right now with my current setup although i would like to go a little bit lower.

what did you all do to reduce rubbing or scraping in your cases?? anything additional to these steps above?
Old 11-02-10, 12:11 PM
Platinum-VIP
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want to go lower, you will have to go with a smaller tire for clearance.
Old 11-02-10, 01:05 PM
teamplayer
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes...what Platimun VIP stated. You may have to go with a less widered tire (more stretch).

Another thing I noticed rubbing on my (on the rear) was...near the rear door there are 2 allen (hex) screws holding on the lower body trim to the body. I left in the lower one, but I removed the upper screw, cut away some of the trim, hammered down the body where the screw went through and used ziptie to hold the upper part of the trim in place. It sounds ghetto but it does the job and you can't tell what was done with everything in place.

The other option is going air.
Old 11-02-10, 01:20 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

if i go with a smaller tire i wont be so flush though,, is this true??

with air i won't be able to drive any lower than i presently am, i will just be able to slam it when parked,, i know this to be true...

if its the same screw i am thinking of teamplayer i believe i had these shaved down to the hex nut that screws on the bolt thing,, all the extra bolt sticking out was shaved down to the nut.
Old 11-02-10, 01:43 PM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

thinner tire will do the trick, I was able to drive on 9/9 on my datasystem with SS kit in front installed....it was really bouncy but no scrapes
Old 11-02-10, 01:48 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by waijai
thinner tire will do the trick, I was able to drive on 9/9 on my datasystem with SS kit in front installed....it was really bouncy but no scrapes
but is this not true:

if i go with a smaller tire i wont be so flush though...
Old 11-02-10, 03:59 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Whats your current wheels specs and tires? I dont get much rubbing on the rear only the fronts when I turn. But then again Im not running a real aggressive offset. I am on SS Pro kit and Datasystems.
Old 11-02-10, 04:20 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not the tyre that needs to be flush,it's the rim edge. More or less tyre on the wheel will only affect clearance,not how flush the wheel looks.

275/30/R20 is an almost perfect match for the factory tyre's diameter. a 265/30/R20 will drop in diameter by 6mm,and width by 10mm,which may give you that smidge of extra clearance that you seem to need.

Justin...
Old 11-02-10, 05:08 PM
Platinum-VIP
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the perfect stretch for a 10.5 width wheel is 245/30-20.

personally if you think that stretching tires is making you not "flush" anymore, then you have a problem with your rims. the rims is what people are talking about on being flush.

oh and you can drive slammed with air.... Phantom Cup Kit Suspension is the key! its the bag-less air suspension.
Old 11-03-10, 05:13 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i have like 3mm space between my tire and fender since there was no gap i thought all this time that is what being flush was... so what is it called if your fender is pretty much on your tire while some or all of the tire is being tucked?

the car is a little lower now than in the pics above ^ ^ ^

i had a 245x35x20 on the wheel for 1.5 days and the bead popped when i was driving down the highway at like 80mph, i don't want to run that stretched again for fear of this happening and being worse... the next tire i get will most likely be a 265x30x20, any recommendations on a good 265x30x20 tire??

BTW i'm on coilovers right now,, not air susp even though it is a UL the factory air went out.
Old 11-03-10, 05:14 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Platinum-VIP
oh and you can drive slammed with air.... Phantom Cup Kit Suspension is the key! its the bag-less air suspension.
i am guessing this replaces my current coilovers? if not than i don't see how i can drive any lower.. can you splain it to me please?
Old 11-03-10, 06:12 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The term "flush" is in reference to the lip of your rim at it's highest point poking out of the wheel well enough to sit flush with the fender. Your actually more than flush your wheels poke out however the lower you go the more negative camber you gain bring the lip flusher or tucked. I personally am not into fender pulling and body widening to accomodate a set of overly aggressive wheels. Not that I don t enjoy it or respect the skill and craftsmanship involved in creating this look. I just enjoy the body lines of my car as they are no need to give my car steroids lol!!!! I noticed that many cars on air at ride height ride super aggressive and poked out so when they park the car on the ground then they sit flush with the fender resting on the lip of the wheel with a stretched tire to accomodate this, cool look I just prefer riding flush and being able to take sharp turns without tearing up my fenders.
Old 11-03-10, 05:27 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC,a cup kit is a replacement strut top that incorporates a small airbag system. Fully deflated,you're on the coils. Inflated,you're on both,and a couple of inches higher.

As for the flush question,no,you're not flush according to the definition in VIP circles. As I said before,the tyre has nothing to do with it,it's all wheel rim to fender gap.
The rim has to be as close to the fender arch as possible. What you have in those pics is a little bit of poke,and a streetable ride height. You need to go down at least another inch and a half to get close. VIP flush is not streetable. Not on coilovers anyway.

Justin...
Old 11-04-10, 04:52 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

huh... ^ ^ ^ well i'll be damned... for the last 6 months i have been trying to research what wheel & tire combo would put my tire as close to the fender while tucking a little and still offering a streetable ride for at least 3-4 occupants. all this time i thought that is what flush is, and i thought when the rim lip is sitting on the fender was considered tucked (like all the way tucked & flush).

well if there is no official term for when your tire is as close as possible to the fender without hitting it i think i will have to come up with something clever. i'll have to ponder this one for a minute,,, any suggestions???

mine would also completely tuck and be flush or whatever at its current setup if it were dropped like another 3 inches say on air or something. definitely not drivable though