LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Looking for some purchase tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-10, 08:29 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

The firmware of the older Nav DVD drives and the Nav system software isn't sophisticated enough to support newer copy-protection schemes (ie. computing angular distances between specific data sectors on the disc and comparing against values from the pressed originals, or reading file structure map files stored outside of the normal disc reading zones, or reading deliberately placed defects and the map file identifying the locations of the defects).

Disc copying tools and consumer disc burners would not be able to duplicate advanced copy-protection features. For discs without advanced copy-protection features (but perhaps standard copy-protection features), they can be copied.
Old 12-05-10, 05:08 AM
99stang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone.
Thanks again for all the input.
I got a chance to drive an 07 TL last week.
I've been wanting to check out one of those since 07 got the mid-cycle refresh (like 04 for the LS).
The tq steer is much better in the 07 vs the 04/05 models of the TL I drove, but the car just didn't seem to have much power.
With a normal conservative start off a red light, the engine goes over 3500 rpms in each gear.
I don't recall the specific rpm's with the LS, but seem to recall that with the toggle in Eco mode (vs Power mode), it would go through the gears at much lower rpm.
In my mind, the two cars should get similar fuel economy with conservative suburban driving.
Of course, when it's time to let loose, the LS is the champ and in those moments fuel economy can take a hike

To get the TL to take off from a 45mph roll, I had to put the pedal close to the floor and then it would jump down 2 gears and take off.
It's definitely in need of some more low end torque.
I think I need to test out the Type S version of the car (3.5 engine) to see if that is any better.

I did some followup on insurance and according to Erie ins. rate estimator found that the 04 LS and 07 TL are only 2 dollars apart, so that was a nice surprise.
I didn't realize putting my wife as the primary driver would get a decent cut in price.

What I'm currently paying:
Mustang - me as primary 526 (year)
06 Sienna - her as primary 349
Options:
04 LS - me as primary 482
04 LS - her as primary 372
07 TL - me as primary 446
07 TL - her as primary 370

Originally Posted by caddyowner
- SmartAccess was an option on the Premium, ML, and UL trim levels, but I've never seen a car without it.
The Silver one I tested did not have this.
I'm sure it's a nice feature, but it won't be a deal breaker either way for me.

Lastly, one of my original comments was:
"The angles of the front of the car are nice, but the 3/4 view of the rear is not pretty. The C pillars going to the trunk area are way too thick and the rear wheels look like they should have been placed about 6-8 inches farther back."

I've been looking around at pictures of customized LS cars and stumbled across the following on ebay.

sick looking silver LS

more pictures:

When I look at this car, I don't have the same concerns with the C pillars.
I think it's because the wheels draw the attention away from it.
I think this car only has tinted windows and the 18" wheels.

Does anybody think something else has been done to this car styling wise?
This is exactly what I want (except in the 04 year since it would be cheaper)!
The styling on this car looks better than the TL!

If anyone knows what these wheels are, please let me know.
Thanks!

Last edited by 99stang; 12-05-10 at 05:11 AM. Reason: spell check.
Old 04-10-11, 09:42 PM
Mikem80
Driver School Candidate

I have a first gen LS430, I love the features of the touchscreen for everything, but the actual Navigation is kinda garbage, I'd rather use my phone for gps. the Mark Levinson system has been a personal nightmare for me, my rear sub popped and a week after I fixed it, my front door speaker went. And i hate the way the non-navi console looks, it's very dated.
Old 04-16-11, 11:00 AM
LS430forMe
Driver School Candidate

When I was in your same position, I narrowed down my choices to the following:

1. '05-'06 Lexus LS430
2. '07-'08 Infiniti G37 sedan
3. '05-'06 Acura TL

I never drove the G37 or TL because as soon as I sat in a CPO '06 LS430 CL, with all the goodies, I was sold.

With the Lexus, I got a $67K car (new) for $27K. The CPO Infiniti and Acura were $40K cars (new) for roughly $26K.

The only problem with the LS is you'll get grandpa comments and the steering wheel diameter could be a bit smaller. Other than that it's an absolutely fantastic car.

You may have seen this article where current Ford Motor Co. CEO Alan Mulally, (former CEO of Boeing) calls the LS430 the finest car in the world.

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...-a-lexus-ls430