LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I Hate My LS430

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-10, 03:34 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
well this past week i drove 2 brand new american vehicles,, a 2010 impala and a 2010 uplander. both sucked *** and i found myself complaining just about every small detail the entire trip, and i mean the entire trip. as soon as i got past 1 issue and was like you know its fine cuz its not an 80k vehicle then i found another issue to complain about. i am not sure if all american cars are like this today but these 2 couldn't even compare in anything cept maybe mpg's to my UL.

And i do mean some of the obvious things like wind noice, handling, road comfort, vehicle engine noise, temperature climate settings (kept getting really hot, then really cold, and i couldn't get it to stay in the middle the blower was really freakin loud on setting 2 of like 5 or 6 sounded like HI on my car). the only single thing about the brand new impala that i thought was nice was the tire pressure sensor actually told you which wheel was low, like 'front right wheel is low on air pressure'. no backup camera, no bluetooth, no parking sensors, no heated seats, not a smooth ride, horrible body roll from both. i thought my car had some body roll, i took a turn ( a 90 degree turn that is a huge sweeping curve) at 21 mph in the impala and the tires squealed the entire turn like i was in a good old fashion car chase scene. then i took the same turn in my UL and 25 mph was smooth like butter. the seats were like sitting on a giant piece of non memory foam and each seat had like 2 way adjust-ability. the steering wheel was bulky and felt not even connected to the front wheels at times. the uplander minivan actually felt more agressive than the impala. are these impalas what cops are driving? cuz i could easily take one of those things in my lex. i bet he would have some backup though and i don't think i would do well in jail..

bottom line is that our car is far superior to most other cars out there. what car for this price range today (new or used) makes our car look and feel outdated from behind the wheel?? i never realized how quiet and comfortable my car was till i drove another one down the same road at the same speed... completely different feeling.
I think the biggest problem we'll have owning a LS430 is that we'll find it extremely difficult to ever accept less, even if we eventually have to.

So, we should just enjoy them while we can!
Old 11-07-10, 03:49 PM
adamnj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
well this past week i drove 2 brand new american vehicles,, a 2010 impala and a 2010 uplander. both sucked *** and i found myself complaining just about every small detail the entire trip, and i mean the entire trip. as soon as i got past 1 issue and was like you know its fine cuz its not an 80k vehicle then i found another issue to complain about. i am not sure if all american cars are like this today but these 2 couldn't even compare in anything cept maybe mpg's to my UL.

And i do mean some of the obvious things like wind noice, handling, road comfort, vehicle engine noise, temperature climate settings (kept getting really hot, then really cold, and i couldn't get it to stay in the middle the blower was really freakin loud on setting 2 of like 5 or 6 sounded like HI on my car). the only single thing about the brand new impala that i thought was nice was the tire pressure sensor actually told you which wheel was low, like 'front right wheel is low on air pressure'. no backup camera, no bluetooth, no parking sensors, no heated seats, not a smooth ride, horrible body roll from both. i thought my car had some body roll, i took a turn ( a 90 degree turn that is a huge sweeping curve) at 21 mph in the impala and the tires squealed the entire turn like i was in a good old fashion car chase scene. then i took the same turn in my UL and 25 mph was smooth like butter. the seats were like sitting on a giant piece of non memory foam and each seat had like 2 way adjust-ability. the steering wheel was bulky and felt not even connected to the front wheels at times. the uplander minivan actually felt more agressive than the impala. are these impalas what cops are driving? cuz i could easily take one of those things in my lex. i bet he would have some backup though and i don't think i would do well in jail..

bottom line is that our car is far superior to most other cars out there. what car for this price range today (new or used) makes our car look and feel outdated from behind the wheel?? i never realized how quiet and comfortable my car was till i drove another one down the same road at the same speed... completely different feeling.
Cops dont drive impalas (or america would b full of civic driving teens tht rob banks) most cops drive v8 crown vics or chargers. Only traffic cops drive impalas (basicly meter maids)
Old 11-07-10, 05:27 PM
SteveM
Driver

I recently had an 06 Corolla for two weeks as a rental car. It was somewhat entertaining at times. It was small and easy to zip around town like a jerk in ways I would never treat my own car.

But when I got back into my car at the airport I was reminded how spoiled I've been enjoying the exact opposite experience. The comfort of the seats felt the best yet.

The moment was temporarily ruined when the cashier calculated my parking fees...
Old 11-07-10, 06:54 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveM
The moment was temporarily ruined when the cashier calculated my parking fees...
Should've ran...they would have a hard time keeping up with the 4.3 V8!
Old 11-07-10, 08:41 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The most annoying thing when I am driving/riding in other cars other then my LS430 UL, is the lack of soft door closer. It is just a drag when I don't shut the door hard enough and have to do it again

The LS430 is so amazing, even as nice as the SC430 is, the LS still feel quite a bit nicer in many details. You won't know this unless you own both because to most people the SC430 is just the 2-doors convertible version of the LS430, it is not, the LS is nicer in many aspects.

The reason for that is somewhat curious, since they both cost the same (~$70k)and got the same drivetrain. My theory is because the power hardtop cost so much money, they have to take away some of the refinements to cut cost.

Anyway, my point is, as nice as my SC430 is, it still surprise me everytime I get back into my LS430, and I switch between the 2 cars every 3~4 days, that's how amazing the LS430 is.

I love this LS430 so much, I might even restore it to keep driving it when it gets too old. I haven't found another car that I love as much as my LS430
Old 11-07-10, 08:55 PM
adamnj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BNR34
The most annoying thing when I am driving/riding in other cars other then my LS430 UL, is the lack of soft door closer. It is just a drag when I don't shut the door hard enough and have to do it again

The LS430 is so amazing, even as nice as the SC430 is, the LS still feel quite a bit nicer in many details. You won't know this unless you own both because to most people the SC430 is just the 2-doors convertible version of the LS430, it is not, the LS is nicer in many aspects.

The reason for that is somewhat curious, since they both cost the same (~$70k)and got the same drivetrain. My theory is because the power hardtop cost so much money, they have to take away some of the refinements to cut cost.

Anyway, my point is, as nice as my SC430 is, it still surprise me everytime I get back into my LS430, and I switch between the 2 cars every 3~4 days, that's how amazing the LS430 is.

I love this LS430 so much, I might even restore it to keep driving it when it gets too old. I haven't found another car that I love as much as my LS430W
Yeah most of the sc price is that hardtop. My S430 also spoils me with the door closing. And the hydraulic trunk. On the nissan its a pain to get the bag of stuff you have in the cabin then holding that bag and your key walking over in my cramped garage and pushing the button holding the trunk stepping to the rear quater panel then pulling it up. Not to big of an issue on it but using the trunk opener for 4 years. Mind you i do around 30-40k miles a year. My job involves alot of driving. Mostly cross country and such.
Old 11-07-10, 09:03 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We'll we really like our cars, that's clear to see. These comments tell us ALL(Lexus owners, not just LS)something we should ALL heed. It's a not a birth right to have the finer things in LIFe, it's a gift and shouldn't be taken for granted! It's true what some have said after driving in others cars or rentals. I had a Chrysler 300 in L.A one time and thought it would be amazing to drive. Felt like I was driving a cheap go cart.

Yes, any car is a good car to a degree but, the Chrysler 300 claims to be a great car and the owners support those claims. Well, to my surprise the entry level ES330 far out performs the Chrysler 300 by far! We are very fortunate to own cars that give little trouble and run well and are cost friendly in regards to luxury cars. Im thankful to drive this car(2001 LS430) and can't say enough how its crazy to have a car that's 10 years old and not want or need a new one. LGNM

Last edited by usermel; 11-07-10 at 09:05 PM. Reason: one reason
Old 11-07-10, 09:21 PM
vipergts
Rookie

These are the kind of threads I hate, they fooled me into buying my ls430 - I have had nothing but problems. LS430 is overated, get over it....
Old 11-07-10, 09:24 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by usermel
We'll we really like our cars, that's clear to see. These comments tell us ALL(Lexus owners, not just LS)something we should ALL heed. It's a not a birth right to have the finer things in LIFe, it's a gift and shouldn't be taken for granted! It's true what some have said after driving in others cars or rentals. I had a Chrysler 300 in L.A one time and thought it would be amazing to drive. Felt like I was driving a cheap go cart.

Yes, any car is a good car to a degree but, the Chrysler 300 claims to be a great car and the owners support those claims. Well, to my surprise the entry level ES330 far out performs the Chrysler 300 by far! We are very fortunate to own cars that give little trouble and run well and are cost friendly in regards to luxury cars. Im thankful to drive this car(2001 LS430) and can't say enough how its crazy to have a car that's 10 years old and not want or need a new one. LGNM
I feel fortunate everyday when I am driving either my LS or SC, I don't take it for granted at all
Old 11-07-10, 09:31 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by vipergts
These are the kind of threads I hate, they fooled me into buying my ls430 - I have had nothing but problems. LS430 is overated, get over it....
If you are being serious, I am sorry to hear that.

There are always exception to everything. There are Lexus that is nothing but problems, and there are German cars that are flawless.

That's the main reason why we argue about cars, because of those exceptions

Out of 10 BMW owners, 8 of them would report their car is nothing but problems, but there are always 2 guys that argue their car have zero issue for 500k miles. It is the opposite for Lexus, 8 cars are flawless, 2 are bad.

That's how I understand it.
Old 11-07-10, 10:21 PM
adamnj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BNR34
If you are being serious, I am sorry to hear that.

There are always exception to everything. There are Lexus that is nothing but problems, and there are German cars that are flawless.

That's the main reason why we argue about cars, because of those exceptions

Out of 10 BMW owners, 8 of them would report their car is nothing but problems, but there are always 2 guys that argue their car have zero issue for 500k miles. It is the opposite for Lexus, 8 cars are flawless, 2 are bad.

That's how I understand it.
Just like my w220 s class. If you guys wonder why i hang around in this community is because the w220 forums is either show off your car or endless help car wont start or airmatic problems.... I am the 6/10 people who have and love the w220. But i am only maybe 1/10 who love their w220 and had no problems. Well i did have to replace a tail light. But hey, that one was my fault. Get distracted by another w220 that looks better than yours and bang sorry old buick.
Old 11-07-10, 10:58 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by adamnj
Just like my w220 s class. If you guys wonder why i hang around in this community is because the w220 forums is either show off your car or endless help car wont start or airmatic problems.... I am the 6/10 people who have and love the w220. But i am only maybe 1/10 who love their w220 and had no problems. Well i did have to replace a tail light. But hey, that one was my fault. Get distracted by another w220 that looks better than yours and bang sorry old buick.
You are like the one guy out of thousands of W220 owners who have zero issue for 200k miles, that's why no one believes you.

I don't believe you either, because the chance of having a flawless W220 is so slim. But I do believe there are exception to everything, so maybe you won a jackpot! Good for you
Old 11-07-10, 11:09 PM
adamnj
Driver School Candidate

I never came here expecting that. The w220 is unique to say the least with its reliability. But im thinking every time i drive my car something is going to go wrong. I honestly cant believe my self i havnt had one problem. But i fear that my airmatic may have a small leak. The pump is coming on now about 2 or 3 times every 20 minutes. So my problems are just begining. If its just the airmatic it should be no more than 1500 for a fix. Im not sure if somethings 100% wrong yet but, all cars have it happen sooner or later. But the airmatic is actin a bit fishy.
Old 11-07-10, 11:18 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by adamnj
I never came here expecting that. The w220 is unique to say the least with its reliability. But im thinking every time i drive my car something is going to go wrong. I honestly cant believe my self i havnt had one problem. But i fear that my airmatic may have a small leak. The pump is coming on now about 2 or 3 times every 20 minutes. So my problems are just begining. If its just the airmatic it should be no more than 1500 for a fix. Im not sure if somethings 100% wrong yet but, all cars have it happen sooner or later. But the airmatic is actin a bit fishy.
No companies in this world have figure out how to make air suspension reliable and long lasting yet, no one. The worst is I think Range Rover.....not surprising though as they are the lowest quality cars made. Even Lexus air suspension are pretty problematic and don't last long at all, their air struts fail as early as 35k miles and most fail around 50k~60k miles. That's why no one would believe your W220's airmatic is flawless for 200k miles, since even LS430's air struts almost never last more then 130k miles.

You hear horror stories on air suspension from every brand of cars, I guess it make sense as they cost a tons to fix and when they act up is very annoying, making the car undriveable. I successfully swapped out the air suspension out of my LS430, I thank god for that everyday.

Last edited by BNR34; 11-07-10 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-07-10, 11:27 PM
adamnj
Driver School Candidate

Im not saying the car didnt have problems before me, just nothing major while i have it. Ill call my uncle tommorow and see what he says about it. Now im sort of in disbelief myself...

Quick Reply: I Hate My LS430