LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I Hate My LS430

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-10, 09:47 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Anyway, my point is, as nice as my SC430 is, it still surprise me everytime I get back into my LS430, and I switch between the 2 cars every 3~4 days, that's how amazing the LS430 is.
I agree with you here. I went from the LS430UL to a SC430 a few years ago. While it was a great, trouble-free car, it didn't feel as luxurious as the LS. There were things that i missed soon after owning it. This included, power closing doors, perforated leather seats, power fold mirrors, rain sensing wipers, and adjustable thigh support. There are probably 10 other things that i noticed, but can't recall all of them.

I sold the SC and came back to the LS. Other than a few problems (which are expensive to fix), the LS keeps me happy and smug.

Cheers.
Old 11-08-10, 11:25 AM
nkoppy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LS 430 certainly does spoil you quickly. I’ve only had my 05’ LS for about 6 weeks. Before this, I had an ’02 GS 430 for 5 years, and I really loved that car. While I had my GS, I drove some other Lexus cars, including the IS. After driving an IS a couple of years ago, I remembered thinking “Hmmm, even at 6’3” tall, I seem to fit comfortably in here - I could see me maybe owning an IS 350 or IS-F someday...”

Well, last week I brought my LS into the dealership to have the Scotchcal protective film applied, and they gave me a 2011 IS 250 AWD loaner for the day. It had only 258 miles on it, and the license plates hadn’t even arrived yet; pretty much brand new. Good Lord, I hated it! After just a few weeks in my LS, it felt like the IS was a Go Kart! It was downright claustrophobic in there - my head was nearly touching the ceiling. That comically small steering wheel. The harsh, bouncy ride. The small, uncomfortable seats. The serious lack of freeway merging power. I couldn’t wait to get my LS back! I wouldn’t have traded my 5-year old LS even-up for the brand new IS. I’m officially spoiled by the LS (and LOVING it).
Old 11-08-10, 11:38 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i felt the same way when i got my last IS loaner as well,, the last loaner i got i tried to get a new gs but they were out so i got an es one time and an RX the other. i did like the RX but not the es very much. es was just subpar entry level but even though the rx is entry level suv i still thought it was a pretty sweet ride all in all.
Old 11-08-10, 12:48 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DDLexus
I agree with you here. I went from the LS430UL to a SC430 a few years ago. While it was a great, trouble-free car, it didn't feel as luxurious as the LS. There were things that i missed soon after owning it. This included, power closing doors, perforated leather seats, power fold mirrors, rain sensing wipers, and adjustable thigh support. There are probably 10 other things that i noticed, but can't recall all of them.

I sold the SC and came back to the LS. Other than a few problems (which are expensive to fix), the LS keeps me happy and smug.

Cheers.
All the features aside, the LS430 UL just feels much more substantial, feels higher end, higher quality.........I don't know how to explain it, is just a better feeling being in it. I think the confusion is from the similar price, SC is $70k, UL is $75k, makes people think they are in the same class since they are both the top of the line Lexus model. But if you think deeper into it, the SC430 is a 2-doors GS430 with a folding hardtop, that would explain the difference in how they feel. The SC430 is on the 2nd gen GS chassis for example. If I can only have one car, I would keep the LS430. The SC is just really fun on the weekend. The LS could feel boring after being in it all week.
Old 11-08-10, 12:52 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nkoppy
The LS 430 certainly does spoil you quickly. I’ve only had my 05’ LS for about 6 weeks. Before this, I had an ’02 GS 430 for 5 years, and I really loved that car. While I had my GS, I drove some other Lexus cars, including the IS. After driving an IS a couple of years ago, I remembered thinking “Hmmm, even at 6’3” tall, I seem to fit comfortably in here - I could see me maybe owning an IS 350 or IS-F someday...”

Well, last week I brought my LS into the dealership to have the Scotchcal protective film applied, and they gave me a 2011 IS 250 AWD loaner for the day. It had only 258 miles on it, and the license plates hadn’t even arrived yet; pretty much brand new. Good Lord, I hated it! After just a few weeks in my LS, it felt like the IS was a Go Kart! It was downright claustrophobic in there - my head was nearly touching the ceiling. That comically small steering wheel. The harsh, bouncy ride. The small, uncomfortable seats. The serious lack of freeway merging power. I couldn’t wait to get my LS back! I wouldn’t have traded my 5-year old LS even-up for the brand new IS. I’m officially spoiled by the LS (and LOVING it).
Yes the new IS is very claustrophobic, I refuse to be in one if I have a choice. I always get the ES as a loaner for more room. The IS350/ISF drives VERY nice though, very responsive and nimble, it is great as long as I don't have to sit in it

The 2 front seats are too close together too, it is great as a date car so you can be close to the girl. But if 2 dudes are sitting in it, it is too close for comfort. It feels like it is smaller then a Corolla, almost Yaris like.
Old 11-09-10, 09:43 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I got back into my LS430 UL today after driving my SC430 for 5 days, sorry for being lame, but oh my god "what a feeling!"

Where the SC430 is a Lexus, the LS430 UL is a Rolls Royces!!

Old 11-09-10, 09:21 PM
combres
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great thread.

I have to agree with Caddie my ls430 has ruined me for life when I look at other cars. I am looking for a car for my wife, so naturally we go to carmax just to test drive a few, hassle free. I was thinking of getting something a bit more fun an the good ol LS, so we took a drive in a WRX subaru. This is a fun car and I owned one of the original ones, but really the build quality isn't great. My wife immediately noticed that the doors seems flimsy, the build quality inside wasn't even close to the LS. Then I told her there is probably a $50k difference in price.

Anyways, the LS is really a great car. I feel a big like a senior citizen sometimes, even though I am 30, but some many things make up for this.

One thing that really got me as far as attention to detail with this car is the carpeted areas on the bottom of each door near the door hinge. This carpet makes complete sense because foot scuffs are obvious even on a brand new car on the lot that has just gone for a few test drives. This carpet is pure genius and makes the doors look brand new even years later.

i could go on..
Old 11-10-10, 05:03 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I got a new IS250 for a loaner about a month ago. Wow I was totally underwhelmed by the IS250. The word econobox comes to mind - slightly gussied up econobox. I feel sorry for someone that pays out $30k to buy a new IS250.
Old 11-10-10, 05:33 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by combres
... My wife immediately noticed that the doors seems flimsy, the build quality inside wasn't even close to the LS. ...
I look at my Indiana-built 2007 Subaru Outback and shake my head at the flimsy doors. They still feel like the old-style Japanese tin-can body. However, the car has other redeeming qualities like a killer AWD system, good cargo space, and an interior that I don't care if the dog lounges on.
Old 11-10-10, 06:02 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We're back from having the pleasure of driving our LS to Orlando for the 2nd time. We hated the ride the whole way... could not hear the road, no engine noise, too high mpg, and almost fell asleep a few times from being so quiet.

Yes, the SmartAccess has caused me several times to almost break the handles off our new '10 MDX. I would approach and just yank the handle and literally almost fall from my hands slipping off the handles. To make things even worse, when I get in, I think I have to fumble to find the key hole because it doesn't even have push start. Still though, we love the MDX over the RX.

Back to the LS and our trip, we did a best of 27.5 mpg at one point during our first trip, but on this trip, we only got a computer-indicated best 25.6 mpg. I can only attribute this to possible older tires and the transmission re-flashing TSB to get better acceleration. It has improved response, but I have notice drops of about 1 mpg in all situations since. Oh well...
Old 11-03-11, 08:22 AM
BizEagle
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta say my LS spoiled me too. I don't even like driving my other vehicles any longer. Also, for a car the size of an LS with a big V8 engine, it sure does get good gas mileage.
Old 11-03-11, 08:46 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

lol! a thread back from the dead! gotta love these. the LS has spoiled me for sure, even though I dont mind driving beaters - but for long trips the LS is where it's at! I hope it stays around a long time as long as no teenybopper or ol' geezer totals it. no offense Caddyowner
Old 11-03-11, 09:04 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Marklouis
... I hope it stays around a long time as long as no teenybopper or ol' geezer totals it. no offense Caddyowner
LOL Pardon me while I shake my cane at you.

This thread and I are so old I had to go back and read how I started it. Due to the nice weather the past two days, I was driving the LS and savoring it. With rain forecast today, I'm back in the Prius and miss the smooth ride and comfortable seats of the LS. (I do appreciate the 50 MPG on regular gas, though, on my 85 mile round trip commute.) At least the Prius has a version of SmartAccess - albeit with sensors only on the driver's door because I have a base model.

Last edited by caddyowner; 11-03-11 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-03-11, 09:23 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol I was going to post a reply and was quite surprised that I've already responded many moons ago. Must've been not too long after I got the 430. It's been over a yr and I HATE how it continues to spoils me..... Heated seats that turn on automatically are pretty much one of the best things I've experienced at this point in my life
Old 11-03-11, 02:03 PM
mndaves
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Caddy - congrats on becoming a moderator. I always enjoy reading your posts so I think it's a great choice! Dave

Quick Reply: I Hate My LS430