LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ls430

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-10, 01:10 PM
adamnj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you! I have to wash it soon. Its been a while since i have done that. But the car has been kept very clean on the inside as me and my uncle, who was the previous owner hate any smudge on the interior. I love it and it does its job. Im planing to buy clear led and chrome housed lights for it and 19 or 20 inch rims. I may put flowmasters just to match that sporty ride. As its the only car ive owned and the only other car ive driven is a nissan murano.
Old 11-07-10, 01:11 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I can see this threads about over.
Old 11-07-10, 01:30 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I love your model s class, i have seen 2000's with 150k for the same price as my es, i have alway just been afriad of the reliability.
Old 11-07-10, 01:35 PM
adamnj
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I like all s class w220 and newer. The es is also a nice car, as are most lexus.
Old 11-07-10, 02:39 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Pay no attention to the naysayers. I'm impressed that the mirror folds in at 200k.
Old 11-07-10, 02:59 PM
adamnj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Pay no attention to the naysayers. I'm impressed that the mirror folds in at 200k.
You sir just made my day. It could have something to do with its been garaged every night of its life since its been sold to my uncle then me. I wonder if it will still run fine when it hits the 200k mark since its at 197k i believe
Old 11-07-10, 03:17 PM
LexFather

adamn welcome to Clublexus, nice S-class. We will be biased towards the LS of course but both are great cars.

Lets be respectful to his claims as to the reliability of this S-class. THanks
Old 11-07-10, 03:22 PM
adamnj
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah i know its just like going into the benz forums with a ls, same game. But i dont like, or i think nobody likes people calling their cars rustbuckets and saying they are liars. But i knew that was going to happen, theres always that one person on every forum.
Old 11-07-10, 06:51 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by adamnj
Thanks for the welcome. Yeah i know its just like going into the benz forums with a ls, same game. But i dont like, or i think nobody likes people calling their cars rustbuckets and saying they are liars. But i knew that was going to happen, theres always that one person on every forum.
Yeah that was a pretty rude and uncalled for comment. Most ppl on the board here though are extremely friendly and helpful. I had an awesome experience on here when looking around for an LS and stuck around after getting it. I personally came from BMW and still remain a huge fan. More to the point, I am fan of many other cars outside of Lexus/Toyota. I have had the privledge of experiencing lots of different cars in the short few yrs I have been driving, anything from an 07 Porsche 911 Turbo to an 80s Olds Cutlass. Each car has a different personality to it (which is a reason why I like cars so much) and was built for people of varying taste. It is evident that the W220 was built for ppl like you (and me, I am secretly a big S class fan). Stick with the car that makes you happy!
Old 11-07-10, 08:10 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

The only thing that I would bring up as being the major difference between the 2 cars would be reliability. If that has not been an issue for you, than go fwith whatever you prefer as far as looks and driving impressions. Benz is definitely sportier and probably firmer with better handling.
Old 11-07-10, 09:17 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If its not broke, don't fix it. In this case, if your car is problem free, don't replace it! I owned a S430 and let me say, drove like a dream but, unfortunately for me I had problem after problem(total of 7) that made me get a ML500 and that had issues as well and I went back to Lexus. Since back at Lexus I have had 3 issues total and all were TSB's(Technical Service Bulletins) and were taken care of by the dealer free of charge!

I can't blame you though buddy for staying with Benz, I LOVED the ride, very sporty and the wheels stick to the road. Driving wise the BENZ wins, no contest. Quiet wise, LEXUS hands down. Reliability is subjective as well as luck of the draw as you have a reliable Benz and Im sure there are plenty more out there. I'd stay with BENZ if I were you. You had your car for 150,000 miles so you will miss that ride experience and no LEXUS has that type of ride(sporty, wheels to the rode)!

If you get any LEXUS expect comfort and quiet and reliability but, don't expect a sporty ride, you'll be disappointed! LGNM
Old 11-07-10, 10:08 PM
adamnj
Driver School Candidate

I should have cleared this up earlier. I never wanted to replace my s430 just get another car. Im attatched to my s class like im sure some of you are with your lexus. Thanks for the feedback and ive decided to go for a cpo s550 from 2008 with 32000 miles for a little more than 45k. Color and options are nice so now its time to put some mods on my 430.
Old 11-07-10, 10:16 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
The used to be know as just rock solid reliable cars,this was years ago when I was a kid practically even before Japanese cars had any type of luxury models. When did that all change?
Approximately around 1999 to 2006, Mercedes was in a very dark period where they produced some of the worst quality cars money can buy.

There are many theories to why that happened, the main one was MB bought Dodge/Chrysler and somehow Dodge dragged down MB's quality. Someone also told me, I don't know if it is true, that Germany had an education problem.

The Dodge theory make sense as after MB sold Dodge, their quality is bouncing back up.
Old 11-07-10, 10:23 PM
adamnj
Driver School Candidate

But then again so is dodges quality
Old 11-07-10, 10:38 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

adamnj,

Your story is a little confusing, please help me understand. You currently own a 2000 W220 S430 with 197k miles, you bought it from your uncle for $8k when it had 50k miles? So 150k miles ago, that must be at least 7 years ago if you put 20k miles on it a year. So you bought a 3 years old 50k miles S430 for $8k around 2003? Something don't add up here

But hey if you have such excellent luck with MB and you love MB so much, why even consider Lexus? Really the main reason people own Lexus is for their much superior reliability over MB. If MB have the same reliability, I for one would be rocking a S65 instead of my current LS430. If reliability is not a concern, the S65 is WAYYYYYYYYYYYY hotter in every way then the LS430, and they cost the same amount today!!

A 2006 LS430 UL worth about $35k today, MSRP was $75k.

A 2006 S65 is listing for $41k, MSRP was $190k.

How much a used car depreciate after 4 years is a direct indication of how well it holds up

The LS430 depreciated 53%, S65 is 78%.

If reliability is not a concern, actually I would be driving a 2000 Bentley Arnage that are worth $40k today, now not is baller! Too bad I can't afford to fix a $300k car every month

Quick Reply: Ls430