LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ls430

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 08:49 PM
adamnj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls430

Hey guys I own a 2000 Mercedes Benz s430L with 200k miles (NO PROBLEMS YET!!!) Ive had the car since 50k miles and im looking to buy another car. Now its between a w220 (2005) s500 or ls430 (2006) and I dont know which to get. Now, my father has had 4 benzes in the past and 6 lexus' but he says Benz. Other than reliability (other then oil change I have had no services in my S430 and it has no problems). What is the pros and cons from the ls430 and s500? Thanks in advance
Old 11-05-10, 09:15 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds like you have been very fortunate with the reliability of your MB. Maybe CarGuy89 will chime in as I believe he considered a MB when he recently bought his LS430.

BTW, welcome!
Old 11-05-10, 09:39 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The mercedes has a more sport ride then ls 430, if you more smooth floaty ride (stock) I say ls 430.
Old 11-05-10, 11:28 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by adamnj
Hey guys I own a 2000 Mercedes Benz s430L with 200k miles (NO PROBLEMS YET!!!) Ive had the car since 50k miles and im looking to buy another car. Now its between a w220 (2005) s500 or ls430 (2006) and I dont know which to get. Now, my father has had 4 benzes in the past and 6 lexus' but he says Benz. Other than reliability (other then oil change I have had no services in my S430 and it has no problems). What is the pros and cons from the ls430 and s500? Thanks in advance
Welcome aboard. By the way, all the S class in the US are long wheel base.

Wow, so you haven't had any problems with:
1) airmatic suspension early failure
2) catalytic converter
3) loose driver seat-minor
4) cd changer-minor
5) vehicle speed sensor/throttle accelerator-limp mode
6) passenger airbag sensor problem-minor, still not fixed
7) very weak homelink signal-minor but very annoying
8) pneumatic door closure failure-you can slam the door
9) one more that I can't remember relating to fuel injector
10) broken front seats by the base-no big deal.

recalls don't count:
11) gauge cluster going dead/recall
12) static trunk lining-battery insulation related
13) blower motor recall

If you had that much luck, I would love to get into the older (w220) S55 AMG or CL55 amg

I have both lexus and mb, and the regular S class isn't "all that". However, if you're talking about AMGs, that's a whole different animal

I stayed with lexus for the comfort and reliability

Keep in mind, the LS is soft, very quiet and smooth and if it's too reliable, a lot of people will complain that's boring, disconnected and "soul-less"

Good luck

scroll down the pages and you'll see a pattern of what's wrong with the LS (versus the S class in the other forum)
Old 11-06-10, 07:25 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Honestly if a S430L had been that good to me I'd have to get another one if I liked the currently available model, options, and price. I think the newer MB (2009 and later) are better put together because MB realized they were gonna go down the tubes quick if they kept making unreliable cars.
Old 11-06-10, 08:05 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Most negaive thign about my LS. The same thing I'll fight around the end of this upcoming winter. Bodyroll. Otherwise my no repairs for 117,000 is something MB is not known for.
Old 11-06-10, 09:26 AM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My buddy just had to change all four of his airbags on his s500.........and he has 100k on it
Old 11-06-10, 11:13 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The used to be know as just rock solid reliable cars,this was years ago when I was a kid practically even before Japanese cars had any type of luxury models. When did that all change?
Old 11-06-10, 12:47 PM
adamnj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Welcome aboard. By the way, all the S class in the US are long wheel base.

Wow, so you haven't had any problems with:
1) airmatic suspension early failure
2) catalytic converter
3) loose driver seat-minor
4) cd changer-minor
5) vehicle speed sensor/throttle accelerator-limp mode
6) passenger airbag sensor problem-minor, still not fixed
7) very weak homelink signal-minor but very annoying
8) pneumatic door closure failure-you can slam the door
9) one more that I can't remember relating to fuel injector
10) broken front seats by the base-no big deal.

recalls don't count:
11) gauge cluster going dead/recall
12) static trunk lining-battery insulation related
13) blower motor recall

If you had that much luck, I would love to get into the older (w220) S55 AMG or CL55 amg

I have both lexus and mb, and the regular S class isn't "all that". However, if you're talking about AMGs, that's a whole different animal

I stayed with lexus for the comfort and reliability

Keep in mind, the LS is soft, very quiet and smooth and if it's too reliable, a lot of people will complain that's boring, disconnected and "soul-less"

Good luck

scroll down the pages and you'll see a pattern of what's wrong with the LS (versus the S class in the other forum)
Well i have a dealer installed pioneer 24 cd changer. Airmatics a pain if you have problems or in my case not. I do have the amg "package" on mine. But i really dont need it because where i live, they see a nice car n they pull you over for something rediculous so speeding is a nono. And i dont have any of the problems nor have i had them on my s430L, also my uncle has a 2006 s430 and it has 120k miles and its problem free. I bought mine from him and he just bought a 2010 s550 and already the car is trying to destroy itself. The parking brake stopped working, the cruise control just makes the car floor it and the nav decided to switch off for good.... Im glad i dont like the w221 heh.
Old 11-06-10, 07:19 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently drove an 06 S500 4matic and walked away highly impressed. I think that you have excellent taste in cars! It is a bit tough to do a comparison of the 2 cars, since I live with the LS and only drove the 500 for 10-15 mins. Nonetheless here is my attempt.

Getting in/initial start:
LS and S class are pretty evenly matched. Both are extremely quiet and smooth at idle. You really do have to look at the tach guage to know the engine is on. I did notice (and plz don't ban me for saying this) that the S class is more comfortable to sit in. The seats feel like they have more padding, though the LS seats feel a bit wider. There is also a ton more space in the back on the S class LWB. My grandmother sat in the back both on the way to the dealer in the LS, and on the test drive in the S500. She had a good amount of room in the LS, but there was so much room in the S class that she could almost stretch her entire legs out.

Driving impressions:
The two cars approach luxury from different angles. The LS is effortless and smooth. It feels like it's never trying hard at all. The Merc on the other hand, feels like a big german tank: extremely solid and heavier. In the LS, I very lightly tap the accelerator and can get up to speed. In the S class, I had to push much harder (but there is more pedal travel as well). Both were extremely similar over bumps. If anything the Merc was a bit better. Both cars have no squeaks or rattles, but the LS sort of glides over bumps whereas the benz flattens them out (like a tank lol). The impacts over bumps were quieter and less noticeable the S class. That is not to say the LS is loud in any manner. I was shocked as I didn't think it was possible to make a car quieter/better over bumps than the LS. They are very similar, but I liked the Merc more in that department. They are also pretty similar in terms of acceleration. The V8s hurls the 4000lb luxo car forward like a sports car! The transmission kicks down quickly and seamlessly for both cars and rockets you forward. There is minimal engine noise in either car. Once up to highway speeds (and again, I didn't think it was possible), I felt the S class was a bit quieter. They drive nearly identical on the highway, both solid as a rock over bumps and locks into your desired lane.

Conclusion:
Since these 2 cars are the same class, it is expected that they are extremely close to each other...and they are. I really can't pick a distinct winner. I felt that the Merc was a bit more polished than the LS, a bit more refined. However, the LS is projected to be a much more reliable car in the long run. Everything else is pretty much the same. I can't really name a clear winner. I only had the Merc for a matter of minutes so I can't say what it will be like to live with everyday. I can say that the LS is extremely consistent. It starts up in the same smooth manner no matter the outside temps and everything works everytime, all the time.

Hope this helps a little bit. Have you considered a BMW 750 at all? I am in the process of helping my grandfather pick out his next car (which is why I drove the S500 with him) and recommeded he take a look at a 7 series as well.
Old 11-07-10, 12:39 AM
adamnj
Driver School Candidate

Carguy, thank you. By your response it seems the s500 you drove is alot like my s430. About the 750, i hate bmw. My uncle had a 750, actually he had 3 the first year. They are problem prone and dont have a ride worth luxury title. As my decision. As my s430 is doing good, im going to hold off a bit save some more $$ and get a ls460 or s550. As i think there is no point buying a car so simular as 1 i own, when i can have better. And if i was going bmw, it would be m5 rather then 750.
Old 11-07-10, 06:18 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

^understandable man. I would've said suggested keeping your 430 till it breaks as it has been good to you. Those cars have identical platforms. Only difference you would notice are newer headlamps and tail lamps and a wide screen nav (as their facelift changes). I am a big fan of the S class as well and have followed it for quite some time and those were the only changes I could see. I love the styling of the current S550 it's very handsome especially with an AMG bodykit + wheels.
Old 11-07-10, 09:30 AM
miniz
Lead Lap

Unless you can't afford an S550 (07+), then get the LS now. You were VERY lucky (or lying) to have a fairly reliable 2000 S class. I don't believe for a second that several of the major expensive items listed above (such as airmatic) did not fail at least once between 50-200k miles on your car. The build quality was cheap, the electronics were junk, and the repairs were endless on the early W220 body cars. I'm actually surprised that your car is still on the road at 200k miles. You must have pumped a lot of money into it. Its got to be a rust bucket electrical nightmare. Most are in a junk yard by 150k. You may just consider driving your car, because it isn't worth more then $3000-4000 with that kind of mileage. I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole, nor would anyone who knows anything about them. You may find some pimp-wanna-be who would take it off your hands for cash and they can stick some 22's on it and impress their friends.
Old 11-07-10, 12:20 PM
adamnj
Driver School Candidate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNGZJzx7GB8 Theres one thing for you. And another the airmatic didnt fail on me neither did any of those other things. Now, have they failed before i bought it, i dont know. And unless you had every s class w220 they made id shut up and take your little fanboy self back home and stop calling people liars. Look i didnt come here to start arguements. So grow up and take your head out of your rear end. The build quality was cheap. Thats funny because the seats hold up better than the ls. As even ls owners complain. On this forum. So please, you dont know my car or me for that matter so please. And nowhere have i mentioned im planning to sell it. I bought it for 8000. Now please, leave me and my car alone. Your not doing anything but trolling.
Old 11-07-10, 12:48 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Clean ride man! Can't tell at all that it has so many miles on it.

Quick Reply: Ls430