LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2004+ LS430 as a DD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-10, 01:53 PM
kenttz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I myself am looking into buying a 04+ LS in a few months and this is good info, thanks OP for making a thread like this.
Old 11-10-10, 02:01 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I agree on the great gas mileage if you drive it gently. But if you get on it and it sucks gas like any normal V8.

Driven smoothly the MPG on long highway trips is amazing for a big V8 powered barge. I have gotten 27-28 mpg on long trips with decent gas. Part of it is the very low COD (.25-.26) Also the car rolls so easy that it coasts like no other car I have ever driven.
Old 11-10-10, 02:06 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just went out for a quick drive to pick up some new toothbrushes (mine was getting pretty gross...lol) and love every second. The car is just so smooth and solid. I have the firmer Dunlop Sport 5000 tires on and I hardly felt the bumps. No squeaks or rattles even over the worst of pavement (MI pavement generally sucks *** too). The car just drives along seamlessly, no hiccups at all. The best is when I get stuck at a light and there is a window next to me so I can check out the awesome car that I'm driving
Old 11-10-10, 03:55 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

1) Consumer reports and many reviews claim blockbuster reliability
2) 70/30 city hwy I get 23.6 alot. I get 28-29 on the breezeway low wind at 70 plus. stops and starts bring ya down.
3) depends on your budget, I vote for low miles 04 models up and premiuum edition with limited budget.... and up Pkg's from there. CL model is my fave but more gadgets more repairs.
4) Airride yes, repairs are possible.

Again Bro whats the budget? T belts at 90 k can be 7-9 hun. +.
Old 11-10-10, 05:13 PM
nkoppy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went from an ’02 GS 430 to an ’05 LS 430 about 6 weeks ago. My GS got rear-ended and totaled. I too gave some thought to a third generation GS, but opted for the LS, and I love it! I recently wrote a full, detailed review of the '05 LS 430 (from the perspective of a former GS owner). I think it will be helpful for you. If you give me your e-mail address, I’ll send you a copy. As for your questions above:

1. I don’t know that the ’05 or ’06 LS is significantly more reliable than the ’04, but it was the first year for the 6-speed transmission…

2. I’m averaging over 23 MPG, combined city/hwy (about 60% hwy, but it’s during rush hour). At typical freeway speed, on a level stretch of road, it hovers near 30 MPG!

3. I’d say “must have” options are the SmartAccess system, heated/cooled seats, Mark Levinson audio, and the 18” wheels. “Nice to have” options would be navigation, headlamp washers and the adaptive cruise control. Depending on the option package you select (Modern/Custom/Ultra luxury), much of this will be included.

4. I agree with the other posts, if you see a dropped LS, it’s aftermarket suspension (may kill the car’s dreamy ride quality). The air suspension on the Ultra Luxury models only allowed for raising the car’s ride height.
Old 11-10-10, 05:59 PM
m32
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kenttz
I myself am looking into buying a 04+ LS in a few months and this is good info, thanks OP for making a thread like this.
no need to thank me Thank all the guys who have contributed to this thread

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Just went out for a quick drive to pick up some new toothbrushes (mine was getting pretty gross...lol) and love every second. The car is just so smooth and solid. I have the firmer Dunlop Sport 5000 tires on and I hardly felt the bumps. No squeaks or rattles even over the worst of pavement (MI pavement generally sucks *** too). The car just drives along seamlessly, no hiccups at all. The best is when I get stuck at a light and there is a window next to me so I can check out the awesome car that I'm driving
haha... nice! any issues with your 04? The one I'm looking at is an 04 but don't think he got the tranny issue/tsb done.

Originally Posted by warminwisc
1) Consumer reports and many reviews claim blockbuster reliability
2) 70/30 city hwy I get 23.6 alot. I get 28-29 on the breezeway low wind at 70 plus. stops and starts bring ya down.
3) depends on your budget, I vote for low miles 04 models up and premiuum edition with limited budget.... and up Pkg's from there. CL model is my fave but more gadgets more repairs.
4) Airride yes, repairs are possible.

Again Bro whats the budget? T belts at 90 k can be 7-9 hun. +.
Great gas mileage! Budget is mid 20's depending on mileage. I don't want to get in the upper 20s with this car.

Originally Posted by nkoppy
I just went from an ’02 GS 430 to an ’05 LS 430 about 6 weeks ago. My GS got rear-ended and totaled. I too gave some thought to a third generation GS, but opted for the LS, and I love it! I recently wrote a full, detailed review of the '05 LS 430 (from the perspective of a former GS owner). I think it will be helpful for you. If you give me your e-mail address, I’ll send you a copy. As for your questions above:

1. I don’t know that the ’05 or ’06 LS is significantly more reliable than the ’04, but it was the first year for the 6-speed transmission…

2. I’m averaging over 23 MPG, combined city/hwy (about 60% hwy, but it’s during rush hour). At typical freeway speed, on a level stretch of road, it hovers near 30 MPG!

3. I’d say “must have” options are the SmartAccess system, heated/cooled seats, Mark Levinson audio, and the 18” wheels. “Nice to have” options would be navigation, headlamp washers and the adaptive cruise control. Depending on the option package you select (Modern/Custom/Ultra luxury), much of this will be included.

4. I agree with the other posts, if you see a dropped LS, it’s aftermarket suspension (may kill the car’s dreamy ride quality). The air suspension on the Ultra Luxury models only allowed for raising the car’s ride height.
thanks for the info and the pm. unfortunately that media file link didn't work for me. Please email it to precisionporsche911@gmail.com

Thanks!

Edwin
Old 11-11-10, 09:01 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by mndaves
Part of the answer is the low drag coefficient on the LS 430, especially with the air suspension. I believe it's 0.26 without air suspension and 0.25 with it. Also, this car coasts so well that once you get it to speed it becomes extremely efficient. We average about 21 mpg in daily driving (70/30 highway-city split) but have gotten up to 28 mpg in pure highway driving at 70-75 mph. Better mileage than many 6 cylinder cars get.
The air suspension drops the car an inch in height at cruise speed, providing a lower Cd and hence better gas mileage.