LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Steering TELESCOPE FAILING - 2004 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-16, 06:11 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

roger that.......mine would chirp and barely move at all.....I tried the bushing trick w no success. I eventually just purchased a new motor....when everything is disconnected and u can manually pull the wheel in and out then re attach to get lube working and the motor at the correct throw I think most of them will work again. I certainly dont want to do that repair again.......thanks for the reply
Old 02-23-16, 07:14 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 157 Posts

Mine made the same chirp with the slightest bit of movement. I didn't disassemble anything, just sprayed the grease and worked it in with the switch.
Old 02-24-16, 03:41 AM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Been over a year since I did mine....but everytime I read about the " bushing " I think you are working on the wrong function......as I recall the bushing ( yes i bought and tried one too ) ....the bushing is for tilt not telescope.....I could be wrong there....would have to go outside and see if 2 separate threaded shafts. But to answer your question.........I would be willing to bet that at least 50 percent of the motors that we think are bad are not....the are simply bound up....and need to be disconnected from rod.....then run and re connect......orrrrrrrr while connected needs to be manually pulled all the way out then turned on and let the motor pull the wheel back in. I have tried to explain this in previous posts.

Note.....remember I said I bought a new motor and installed....once installed it still didnt work.....I manually pulled all the way out which put the motor in the correct throw.......then ran it again and it worked like a charm....

Its a tricky repair....good luck
The bushing is for the telescope. I'm getting ready to pull it apart right now.
It is currently all lubed up. I will try the extend and retract after I have the screw released from the bushing.
It's the brass piece i'm concerned about.
Old 02-24-16, 04:00 AM
toyo
Intermediate

Well my gut was correct. I had a feeling the motor was getting too weak to function under load. Now it is completely dead. Performed the diagnostic procedure according to the FSM and it is dead.

I had ordered one the other day so I i'll go pick it up this morning. I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-24-16, 06:50 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by toyo
Well my gut was correct. I had a feeling the motor was getting too weak to function under load. Now it is completely dead. Performed the diagnostic procedure according to the FSM and it is dead.

I had ordered one the other day so I i'll go pick it up this morning. I'll keep you posted.
Would you mind sharing the FSM diagnostic procedure?

Good to hear you got it solved
Old 02-24-16, 08:36 AM
toyo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KING
Would you mind sharing the FSM diagnostic procedure?

Good to hear you got it solved
Here ya go!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LS430 DTC For Telescope.pdf (233.1 KB, 975 views)
LS430 Problem Symptoms Table.pdf (312.4 KB, 347 views)
LS430 Troubleshooting 1.pdf (246.1 KB, 322 views)
Old 02-24-16, 09:07 AM
toyo
Intermediate

The new motor fixed it.
Old 01-11-20, 11:51 AM
CityofOaks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fencera
I found this thread to be very helpful, but it didn't quite solve my problem.

As many have also experienced, I had a faint squeaking noise. Thinking that I simply needed to lube the gears (specifically the one for the telescoping feature) I did so, but the squeak and operation of the telescope feature did not improve. In fact, it got worse...

When lubing the gear responsible for telescoping, I apparently pushed a small piece of worn rubber into the screw type gear that twists for telescoping. The rubber, pictured below, holds the metal receptacle, the 'nut', that the screw type gear 'pulls' in and out when telescoping. It turned out that this small rubber fitting had become quite worn and not only allowed the metal 'nut' to shift and bind, but had physically obstructed the movement and increased the work required by the telescope motor to the point where it periodically no longer worked.

The attached pictures are:
1. The worn rubber grommet (part # 45768-60011)
2. The "nut" that is held in place by the grommet that telescope motor screws in and out to telescope the wheel
3. the two pieces together as they appear on the side of the steering wheel (without the clamp that goes over them [held in place by two 10mm bolts])
4. The lexus parts diagram showing the breakdown.

I replaced 45768 (45768-60011 -- less than $3) and there is no longer a squeak, no binding and the telescope works perfectly again. I think that lubing the gears may help avoid the binding and malfunction that a worn grommet causes, but that may not fix it in the long term (although hopefully I'm wrong on this for those that aren't having any more problems!)

Thanks for the great thread, never would have figured this all out on my own...
fencera: I've got the same problem you had. The rubber bushing that you mentioned is worn on my telescoping screw assembly also. I ordered the parts (the bushing, the nut and also the clamp just in case I messed it up). For the life of me, I can't get the two 10mm bolts off of the clamp. I'm worried about stripping the 10mm... any advice? How did you get yours off?

And I appreciate your pictures... if I can get the two bolts off they will help me make sure I get it back correctly.
Old 01-12-20, 08:55 PM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine broke the other day too 168,000kms. Was getting weaker in last few days. I've previously replaced the rubber bushing so motor is broken. I've ordered a new one. Up down tilt still motor still works thank goodness.
Old 10-24-20, 06:07 PM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

Reading this whole thread, and wanting to ask:
What about Worm Drives? When I bought my first LS430, I stopped by Lexus of Riverside, CA, where an experienced service advisor told me sometimes the squeak is the worm drive. Fast forward to now where I have a 2004 LS430, and the motors make the squeak, but if I hit the button 3 times or so in either direction, the motors work fine for both tilt and telescope. I de-activated the auto retract first thing on both cars.
**The question is this: The worm drives are cheaper and easier to get to, but has anyone ever replaced just those and had it work?? My motors work better in the cold, but I am curious if my problems would be solved by only replacing the worm drives, and not the motors?!? Anyone?
Old 10-24-20, 07:53 PM
AustinMR2
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Yes you can Stop the rear shade

I wanted to stop the constant movement of the rear shade when reversing. I simply accessed the trunk fuse block and yanked the center fuse. Now the shade is up all the time.

John

Originally Posted by BC8
it would be great if there was an option to stop the rear shade from coming down every time you put it in reverse and an option to turn off the ODO display. Anybody have any idea?
Old 10-24-20, 08:13 PM
AustinMR2
6th Gear

Originally Posted by CA2WALS430
**The question is this: The worm drives are cheaper and easier to get to, but has anyone ever replaced just those and had it work?? My motors work better in the cold, but I am curious if my problems would be solved by only replacing the worm drives, and not the motors?!? Anyone?
I have owned my 06 LS430 for several months now. Only failure so far is the column telescope motor. The mechanism is a lead screw. The lead screw nut is bolted to the part of the column that moves. I unbolted the lead screw nut from the column until I found a used telescope motor. I lubricated the slides inside the column with spray can grease with a straw on the nozzle. I then pushed on the wheel in and out to exercise the slide to spread the grease. The column slides only with a lot of force. I used techstream at home to turn off the auto tiltaway feature. BTW, the junk car I got the telescope motor ($5) from to fix my car had the auto tiltaway feature turned off and I guess that is why that motor still has some life left in it.

John
Old 05-12-22, 07:02 AM
VolumeToo
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default How to Manually Exercise Telescope Motor? 2004

This a well-worn thread, I know. (Pun not intended!) So here's where I am...
I bought the rubber bushing - and right now the clamp, old bushing and nut are removed. The worm-gear is therefore floating in free-space on the universal-joint coupling. However, far from spinning freely, the motor still just makes a chirp and doesn't really move in either direction. (I initially thought the squeaking noise was the trashed bushing rotating and binding up in the clamp; alas not.) Attempting to twist the worm-gear at the same time as operating the control does sometimes give a small amount of rotation.
I've met pancake print motors before, in professional tape recorders, and - despite the brushes - those things went on for years and years of daily use. Clearly, these motors do not take kindly to repeated cycling over a small rotational angle. (Is the damage permanent, I wonder? Would it be beneficial to attempt to free it up by turning it manually? In which case, what side square drive/screwdriver slot is needed?)
I can't shift the column manually at all. Yes, I've sprayed some white lithium grease onto the inner section in the hope that it might penetrate the two layers. I wonder if a siezing column is really the root cause?
(Interesting also to note that this car has had three telescope motors at various main dealers!)

Update: I reinstalled the clamp with new bush and gave up. (Not quite so easy with the column stuck fully-retracted, but reasonably accessible nonetheless.)

Last edited by VolumeToo; 05-14-22 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-14-22, 07:10 AM
AustinMR2
6th Gear

Default Put your Back and upper body weight into it!

Originally Posted by VolumeToo
I can't shift the column manually at all. Yes, I've sprayed some white lithium grease onto the inner section in the hope that it might penetrate the two layers. I wonder if a siezing column is really the root cause?
Throw your weight into moving the uncoupled column to get it freed up. I weigh 200 Lbs and I had to grab the wheel and throw myself into the seat to get the column to initially move. After multiple time performing this, the mechanism freed up but never got easy. I drove for a week with it disconnected and never did it move by accident. It is that stiff to move. I also used Techstream and turned the feature OFF that moves the column every time the ignition is switch. If I need to move the column for a little comfort, I just actuate the switch. I use this every few months, saving the motor from useless actuation.
Old 05-14-22, 07:39 AM
VolumeToo
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinMR2
Throw your weight into moving the uncoupled column to get it freed up. I weigh 200 Lbs and I had to grab the wheel and throw myself into the seat to get the column to initially move. After multiple time performing this, the mechanism freed up but never got easy. I drove for a week with it disconnected and never did it move by accident. It is that stiff to move. I also used Techstream and turned the feature OFF that moves the column every time the ignition is switch. If I need to move the column for a little comfort, I just actuate the switch. I use this every few months, saving the motor from useless actuation.
Thanks,
I was scared of breaking the steering wheel or its fixing, TBH!

Quick Reply: Steering TELESCOPE FAILING - 2004 LS430