LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

When should water pump be replaced? Im no expert but....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-10, 11:17 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile When should water pump be replaced? Im no expert but....

....I called my local dealers service department today and something confusing happened. I called to ask about the annual discounts they give during Christmas about 20% of or more. Heck, may be 15% this year but, I cant complain. A discount is a discount! That said, the service rep I talk to most said to me when I asked about the water pump being replaced(reason I inquired about the annual discount for cheaper cost to have water pump replaced) "is it leaking?" and I said "No, not yet. I was just asking so I could do it before it needs to." She then said "You also will need to replace the timing belt at that time as well." I then remarked "I already did the timing belt. I didnt know I should do them at the same time when I did so, Im trying to do the water pump now."

She the explained when I told her there is no need to replace the water pump unless its leaking or you smell coolant or the car overheats. She said those are the signs it should be replaced. She explained then do so because shes seen them go 180,000-200,000 without having to be replaced. I was shocked. I understand people do them both at the same time so they dont have to pay extra if the water pump goes out at say 140,000 or less or a bit more miles. I totally understand why people replace the water pumps then at 90,000 with the timing belt, not trying to debate it or say not to do it at all. Please dont think thats why I started this thread gents/ladies!

I started the post just because of the shock at what I was told. I been going there for 12 years for sevice so maybe the relationship I have there is why she didnt try and get the money out of me. I appreciate that and may replace the water pump anyway in a few months for peace of mind, even though I believe her and respect her advice totally. Shes been a great service rep over the years when my previous rep left.

I called about 2 months ago and the rep I normally speak with she wasnt there. So the guy who answered(I knew who he was) told me he the price would be $735 total after tax and that was it. He gave no advice at all nor asked if the water pump was leaking. He FOCUSED on the sale only. Thats the difference I guess between keep them coming back with my normal female service rep and the male who only cared about making the money. My point is as I said, Im doing it anyway due to how she reated and was truthful when it meant no sale for now. He on the ohter hand after speaking with her was cold and uncaring of my cost or needs. Her detail earned them a customer for the time she's there at least!!! LGNM
The following users liked this post:
wyattlevi (07-14-19)
Old 11-15-10, 02:21 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

When I purchased my 01 LS430, The timing belt had recently been changed by the previous owner at around 95,000 miles. After some investigation, I found out that they did not change the water pump. I too was told that it would be unnecessary to change it unless it was making noise or leaking. It is true that the water pumps can last quite some time before needing replacing and unlike the timing belt that will give no warning, the pump will usually start leaking. I drive 90% loacally, so I am not concerned about being stranded. If I were to take extended long cross country trips, I might consider having it done.
Old 11-15-10, 02:38 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the reply. I guess many are shocked at what I was told, heck I was! Had no idea the water pump could last that long at all. Most I seen on this site do the timing belt/water pump at the same time because you have to get in the same vicinity to perform replacement on both items so it saves money as opposed to doing the at different times. I can't argue with that at all. Most like me who aren't car savy are the rest on this site who are need honest info like what I got today!

I called the dealer service manager today and said thanks and gave the lady who helps me a good report from me. I may still do the water pump anyway within the next 10,000 miles or so but, the honesty and good info was useful. Thanks for your addition to this post Bocatrip. Hopefully we have helped a person thinking about there water pump being replaced. LGNM
Old 11-15-10, 02:46 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is the cost breakdown?

water pump replaced $735 + or -
timing belt replaced $??? + or -
both replaced at same time $???? + or -
Old 11-15-10, 02:53 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

I never got the total this time but, a while ago I remember someone saying about $1,000 or a little more for both done at the same time. Again, this is just a rough estimate, not exact number. I think someone here on this site has had it done at the same time(water pump/timing belt) and has a exact price for us they paid!

Would be nice to know the price difference if don't at different times or at the same time. LGNM
Old 11-15-10, 03:25 PM
beneteau
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've mentioned this many times on different threads. Check your local Toyota dealer. My wife's 60K service on her 05 LS was quoted at Lexus @ $1,450.00.
Toyota dealer charged $525.00 for exactly the same service plus the Toyota service included cleaning the fuel injection system which Lexus didn't include.
Old 11-15-10, 03:31 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

WOW! That's a fantastic price buddy! I have to seriously look at going to Toyota for services. I'm brainwashed via Lexus' name and being a creature of habit. May need to see a shrink to get my mind of being fixed on Lexus for service. HUGE price difference you displayed fellow member. LGNM
Old 11-15-10, 05:15 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

A couple water pump items I've read here and/or on other forums:

- The Lexus water pump can be expected to last 120-140K miles. Since you have to remove all the same stuff to change the water pump as changing the timing belt, both are lumped together for the 90K service.

- Water pump replacement is usually done when the timing belt and tensioner are replaced because the change in forces of operating the new belt & tensioner will often make an apparently fine water pump start leaking.
Old 11-15-10, 05:44 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Interesting at 180-200K miles. My typical on factory water pumps is similar to caddyowner mentioned at ~120K. So in that respect, the timing belt at 90-100K, the shortened schedule is reasonable.

I'd be curious if any/how many Lexus owners would run their water pumps to failure or beyond 150K. I don't have that level of comfort given other potential damage. Some cars this is not an issue of access so run it till it shows signs of leaking.
Old 11-15-10, 05:44 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Great info Caddyowner. All info given thus far should help another member as clueless as I was and still am,hahahahaha! Had no idea the water pump could get damaged via the timing belt and tensioner repairs. Very good info and should be helpful for other fellow members on this great site! I like most the respect were showing each other and how helpful were being! LGNM
Old 11-16-10, 08:12 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

The water pumps will usually start to weep at 90K or earlier, but will hold until at least 120K. The one I replaced recently on my LX (same engine design as on the LS except bored to 4.7L) still had tight bearings, but the one I replaced on my toyota truck at 130K mi had a lot of bearing play. Before the bearings go, they may make a howling noise. If you replace the water pump at the same time as the t-belt, it's only 0.5 hrs of extra labor plus the cost of the pump and the two little O-rings. Otherwise, you'll be paying for something like 7 hrs of labor to access the water pump! You might want to replace your thermostat & gasket, PCV valve and grommet, plus the iridium spark plugs at 90K mi. The used plugs will look pretty "new" when you change them, but rest assured, they are used. IIRC, it was 1.5 hrs of labor to replace the plugs on the LX (the ones along the firewall are the tough-to-access ones.
Old 11-16-10, 10:56 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

For me, the weeping and howling are the safeguards to help avoid mechanical breakdown or further engine damage. To most observant owners, this should be enough to acknowledge that water pump replacement is necessary. I for one, always look at the driveway or garage floor whenever I pull out for any fluids that should not be there. In the case of a weeping water pump, that distinct coolant smell usually gives it away as well.
Old 11-17-10, 03:03 PM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys just turned on my sweat pumps. My 96 LS400 has 154k miles and it has the original water pump. It is showing no symptoms of failing. The timing belt was replaced at 90k miles.
The problem is that I planned on driving the 96 LS four hours to Atlanta in a few weeks. I'd like to not expose my blemish free 2005 to the madness called Atlanta downtown.
Would I be asking for trouble to take the 96 LS on an 8 hour round trip?
Old 11-17-10, 03:10 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

My experience is that a water pump will either leak or start to make a whining sound (from loose bearing noise) before it goes. If you have no leaking and no noise from water pump you are likely fine.
Old 11-17-10, 04:31 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
My experience is that a water pump will either leak or start to make a whining sound (from loose bearing noise) before it goes. If you have no leaking and no noise from water pump you are likely fine.
It's not like the "old days" where once the bearing went bad there was always the possibility the water pump fan would go into and destroy the radiator as well as the major immediate coolant loss effects.

Quick Reply: When should water pump be replaced? Im no expert but....