LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Brake Sensor Repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 08:44 PM
Red Square
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Sensor Repair

Quick and easy way to repair brake sensors for LS430. The brakes sensors is just a looped wire enbedded in a plastic housing connected to the pads. Both front and rear sensor are on the passenger side only. When the wire is worn through and the circut is broken the "low brake" indicator on the dash will appear. New oem sensor run around $90 each at the dealership.

Unclip and unplug brake sensor.

Pull broken wire through and slice the ends.

Tools: solder iron, solder, scissor, and shoe glue or any silicone seal.

Solder wire together as thin as possible.

Reposition wire back to the original spot. Use any type of rubberized glue/seal to help protect and secure the wire. I just used a tiny smug of shoe glue. Or you can heat shrink the wire. But it doesnt matter, when the brakes are low, it will wear through again anyways.

Also i replaced the pads with Akebono ProACT ceramic pads on all 4 corners. I think they are great for price and performance. They seem to have the same or more bite than the stock oems pads (maybe because the are new). And they are also low on noise (a bit louder than stock). Pre-mounted shims. Very similar to a oem feel, but for almost half the price. $64 and $56 for the front and rear. I recommend.

Last edited by Red Square; 11-16-10 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-17-10, 05:14 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Great write up and pics! This is the stuff that makes this forum so valuable - thanks for the contribution.

Do you know what miles you had on the rear pads when the sensors wore through? Just looking for apprx avg miles on pads when the sensors wear through.
Old 11-17-10, 08:26 AM
buggs384
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grete write up...and if you dont have access to a solder gun, maybe do what I did. Take the part to a local car audio shop(i went to best buy) and give the guy a few bucks to solder it back together...since they do this for a living they are good at it...mine is trouble free for the last 20K
Old 11-17-10, 09:10 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Style

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Do you know what miles you had on the rear pads when the sensors wore through? Just looking for apprx avg miles on pads when the sensors wear through.
Mileage won't help too much, it's driving style that's most important. If you do long highway trips on end, you could go 90K before a brake job. If you're doing LA/NY traffic all day long, you'd be lucky to get 20K.

Just as point of reference, I do 80% local, not heavy traffic, and mine went recently at 32K... but again, don't take that as anything. You can to remove and do a visual inspection to be sure of anything.

Great writeup, but I'm just afraid that this repair might cause the sensor to never trip because once you pull all the way down like illustrate, it would have to be down to metal before the last strands of wire would wear away again and even then it might not cut through the sensor. Honestly... you can get aftermarket sensors for $60 and that's not much in the grand scheme of repairs to have to skip.
Old 11-17-10, 09:22 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the DIY's and alway good thing to check the brake whenever doing an oil change.
Old 11-17-10, 01:20 PM
Red Square
Rookie

Yah, mileage will differ. So alway best to look, if the pad is as thick as 2 quarter stacked together, I would replace before it wears the sensor.

It should trip about the same time as a new one. Its almost impossibbe to set the wire as low as the original position, since the wire is soldered and less flexible. Its set I tad bit higher right now.

Right, just keep an eye on your pads 3 or 4 times a year or at every oil change. I thought the car had regular noise sensor on the shims. But now I know. I still woudnt want to pay $60 for an aftermarket sensor. To be honest I don't even want to run the pads till the sensor trips. Its aready trips very late were the pads are super low. Best advise is just to keep an eye on it and save your money.
Old 01-12-11, 10:52 AM
Lawrenzo
Driver School Candidate

Stellar DIY write up!
Old 01-12-11, 01:57 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

I have the Akebono Pro Acts on my G35 and they have not shown any sign of wear after 20,000 miles. However, there is a noticeable diminished bite from the OEM pads. Considering that the OEM Lexus pads last so long and relatively speaking have low dust, I decided to replace mine with OEM pads.
Old 01-12-11, 11:00 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

My front sensors were a little scratched and so were the back. Not enough to cut the wire though. This was at 28k miles on those pads. I could have probably rode 2-3k more without cutting the wire
Old 01-13-11, 04:15 PM
karasdad
Rookie

Thanks for showing that. My mechanic did this repair on my sensors last year during a brake job to save the cost of the new sensor. The sensor had not broken the connection but the wires were exposed so he used epoxy to waterproof them. I was a bit concerned with the procedure, nice to get some validation.
Old 01-21-11, 01:59 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

Thanks for the writeup! I will definitely do this if I accidentally wear my brakes down too much.
Old 01-21-11, 08:43 PM
Milan
Pole Position

Good write-up. I see you have the Megan coil-overs. Which model are they and how do you like the ride?
Old 01-22-11, 09:24 PM
Red Square
Rookie

coilovers are Megan street LP. rides very nice, kinda on the soft side (soft for a coilover). had them for 2 years now and no problems.
Old 01-24-11, 03:38 AM
kahoooow
Driver School Candidate

thank my dear ????????
Old 05-14-11, 06:35 PM
monrovea
Rookie

Cool brake wear sensor

Originally Posted by buggs384
Grete write up...and if you dont have access to a solder gun, maybe do what I did. Take the part to a local car audio shop(i went to best buy) and give the guy a few bucks to solder it back together...since they do this for a living they are good at it...mine is trouble free for the last 20K
Please, please help. How do you remove the sensor from the car. Is there a disconnect or does it unplug at some point? Thanks

Quick Reply: Brake Sensor Repair