LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

01 LS430 excellent condition 115k miles for $3,100

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-10, 05:57 AM
LRoy430ul
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 01 LS430 excellent condition 115k miles for $3,100

The title is the ad that I saw here in the D.C. newspaper posted 3 days straight. I figured that something didnt sound right and that it was too good to be true. On the other hand I thought that there might be a chance that it is legit cause whoever posted the ad had to pay for it. So finally on the third day I decided to call the number. Nobody answered so I left a voicemail stating that I was interested and would like more details. It was also a google voice number so that threw a red flag immediately.

(below are the emails that we exchanged back and forth)

One day later I received a text message in response to my voicemail stating.

"hi, regarding my 2001 Lexus I am selling for $3100, please email me at KPungiPungi@aim.com so I can send you all the details and pictures.
Thanks, Janice"

So I sent and email to the address above requesting info.

Here is the email I got back in response

"Hello and thanks for your message regarding my Lexus. This is a rare 2001 Lexus LS 430 with the ultra luxury selection package: EMV Mark Levinson Audio, Navigation System, Lexus Link, Dynamic Laser Cruise Control, Air Suspension, Power Rear Window and Manual Rear Door Sunshades, Rear Seat Adjuster with Power/Slide, Massage and Memory, Rear Seat Heater, Front Climate Comfort Seats w/Heat and Cool ****, Rear Air Conditioner w/ Air Purifier, Power Door Closers, Headlamp Washer, Power Tilt and One Touch Open/Close slide Moonroof with Sunshade, Rear Cooler Box, Rear Seat Audio Conrols, Laminated Side Glass, Intuitive Parking Assist, Wood & Leather Steering Wheel with Voice Command Button. I am the second owner. The car runs like brand new, very smooth and silky engine and transmission. Everything works 100% in the car. Never been in any kind of accident. Interior is immaculate. Perfect mechanical condition with all maintenance service done on time. The Lexus has 115,465 exact miles. If you wanna check the history report, the vin number is JTHBN30FX10007750. The title is clear and in hand. To see more pictures of the car please go here: http://img832.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=63808903.jpg

I already have two other vehicle and this one has to go. It was rarely used in the past year.

The Lexus was also listed on AutoTrader so I prefer to manage the transaction through them just to be safe. The car is located in Washington, DC and can be inspected and picked up from there or I can arrange shipping anywhere in the US. Shipping will cost about $300 with all taxes as I have a discount with DAS. My final price with shipping is $3400. If you pick it up it's just $3100. You can take the car for a test drive and arrange a professional vehicle inspection with any dealer. If you agree with my terms please let me know your full name and full address so I can set up the transaction with AutoTrader and arrange shipping/pick up, inspection and payment process. Thanks

Janice L Newcomb"

Well, since they left me thier name I did a search on facebook and found a woman's profile to match the name above. The info showed that she lived in VA and was an elemtary school teacher.

I went ahead and sent an email back in response

"Hi Janice,

Thank you for all the info my full name is ****** and I actually live here in the D.C. area. I am interested in seeing the car in person and taking it for a test drive. So in order to do this would I go to an actual Autotrader location here in D.C.? Also, would this weekend be O.K. or are there other people looking at the car as well?

Her response

"I will also need your full address so I can set up the transaction and vehicle inspection. Thanks."

My response

"Janice,

I am interested in seeing the car in person and if I decide to buy it will be with cash. I don't understand why my full address would be needed in order to do this? Please feel free to call me at your convenience to further discuss.

Thanks"

And finally her last response

"Hello,
I am in Alaska with business and I can't do the deal in person. This is why we need to handle the deal through my shipper and autotrader. To set up the transaction and vehicle inspection I need to confirm you identity with them. If you wanna buy the car let me know. I am tired to ask for your details and this will be the last time."

I really wanted to respond with something smart to the last email but I figured I would just leave it alone since they do have my name. It came out to be a scam like I thought in the beginning. I figured I would post it here in case anyone else runs across the ad.

Last edited by LRoy430ul; 11-18-10 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-18-10, 06:07 AM
tcbted
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once the scammer obtains your full address, how do they then turn this information
into a profit?
Old 11-18-10, 06:10 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey... everything in life is... if it seems TOO GOOD to be true... it probably is. With the internet, and especially since this was on the internet, the person is obviously aware of internet so they'll do research on the cost of vehicle. A UL even 2001 with 100K+ miles is not just going for $3K in "excellent" condition.

Anyway, good thing you didn't continue and send your name, address, birthday, SSN, bank account number, $500 deposit, etc.
Old 11-18-10, 07:45 AM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i usually just look at these kind of ads and laugh because its just full of scam
Old 11-18-10, 08:09 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

best way to answer a scam is with another scam. For instance, you can say "I am willing to pay $31,000 for the car (yes 10x more than your asking price), but I need the car sent to Nigeria, as I have family there who needs a car."
Old 11-18-10, 08:13 AM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

scam scam scam scam. You really think someone would sell a ls 430 for 3k?
Old 11-18-10, 08:20 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In a parallel scam, I listed and sold a Lexus (legitimately) last Spring on Craig's List and was amazed at the amount of emails I got which turned out to be a scam. Oh, and painfully obvious, I might add ...

As Michael Scott on The Office naively said:
"You know what Toby, when the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?"
Old 11-18-10, 08:30 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

how awesome would that be though...

3K for an LS430 - quite the winter beater!
Old 11-18-10, 08:43 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

The actual thief is likely using an assumed identity. At some point they would request more and more info including either SSN or bank account info - then they would assume your identity and open fake credit cards or electronic draft (EFT) your checking account down to zero. Either way you'd be screwed with little to no recourse since you provided the info.

So unfortunate that the world is full of scumbags that would rather work to cheat people instead of working at an honest living.
Old 11-18-10, 05:05 PM
F.Brown
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LoL @ CarGuy89! I'll be using your 'counter-scam' method on the next person who tries to scam me!!
Old 11-18-10, 09:35 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by f.brown
lol @ carguy89! I'll be using your 'counter-scam' method on the next person who tries to scam me!!
do it!
Old 11-19-10, 03:28 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny comments here. That aside, its clear they put up the facebook themselves and or there is a real Janice and she has no clue they are using her period as a scapegoat. Those are the two possibilities buddy. That said, I clicked on the post eyes wide open cause it sounded to good to be true to me as well. When a person gets smart with you without seeing what they are selling, thats a RED FLAG. Point blank buddy. Run like Usain Bolt from deals like that, don't walk. HAHAHAAHA! Scammers upset me because, while I work and hustle my butt of and sacrifice, they scam hard working people out of Billions a year maybe more.

They need better policing for these people. Pass on the car of course. LGNM
Old 11-19-10, 05:28 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

What I don't understand is why do they try the scam with such a stupid price? Why not just ask $8500 and get serious inquiries for a great price?
Old 11-19-10, 09:00 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
What I don't understand is why do they try the scam with such a stupid price? Why not just ask $8500 and get serious inquiries for a great price?
I have ALWAYS wondered the same. I think there are many many people who are still easily fooled by these things.