LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

May be leaving the family soon...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-10, 08:54 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default May be leaving the family soon...

Despite having thoroughly enjoyed our 2004 LS, purchased about three months ago,sadly it looks like it may be time for the car to go. As many of you know, even assuming there was mechanically nothing wrong, I was never a fan of the shift habits of this car, amongst many other misgivings as compared to my perennial favorite, the 1998-2000 LS400.

That said, There were many positives to the car. I can say with certainty that this is likely the finest highway car ever built, the looks of the 2004 to '06 model remain fresh and gorgeous to this day, and overall, things work well.

Ironically my brother, whose name the car is in, had become very attached to it. However this all began because his friend had been hinting at buying the car and I finally convinced him that given the mileage on the car and other factors, this was going to be probably our best and final chance to sell for a long time.

So assuming everything works out (and its certainly not the end if the wold if we end up keeping it), I'll soon begin looking for a replacement. I'm eyeing LX470s, Range Rovers and 545s as possible alternatives, but really the field is wide open right now. While I'm leaving the LS430, there's a chance I'll still remain on the forum depending on what we get. Theres even a small chance we may end up with a newer pearl white version of the same car knowing what things to look for and with a higher level trim. We'll see I suppose!
Old 11-19-10, 10:03 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope things work out for you gents. Selling the car is good especially if you can get what you want for it now and then get another car in this market, which is a buyers market. Hope the best fellow member. LGNM
Old 11-20-10, 05:10 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. If you are interested in the LX470, search out Jim Chow's posts in that forum as he has lots of good advice.
Old 11-20-10, 05:34 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

LX470s are supposed to be great bulletproof cars - maybe only downside is the gas mileage is pretty low, but if you don't drive high miles it may not be a factor. Good luck.
Old 11-20-10, 07:11 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Again I must compliment you on your taste in cars, certainly things i would've picked. Have you also considered a Jag XJ (prefereable the beast like XJR)? I have always been a huge fan of the styling and interior (but didn't get too serious this time b/c the closest dealer is 30+mins away from my house). It sounds like the majority of your choices are SUVs. Have you considered a BMW X5? I drove a 2007 model recently and was wowed by how good it was. Best suv I have ever driven (nimble yet smooth and comfy) and better than some sedans I've driven. The 545 (though if you can stretch it I would say 550) is a nice choice. The E60s are very solid cars and ppl don't give them as much credit as they deserve. Just stay away from the 535s.
Old 11-20-10, 11:05 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Again I must compliment you on your taste in cars, certainly things i would've picked. Have you also considered a Jag XJ (prefereable the beast like XJR)? I have always been a huge fan of the styling and interior (but didn't get too serious this time b/c the closest dealer is 30+mins away from my house). It sounds like the majority of your choices are SUVs. Have you considered a BMW X5? I drove a 2007 model recently and was wowed by how good it was. Best suv I have ever driven (nimble yet smooth and comfy) and better than some sedans I've driven. The 545 (though if you can stretch it I would say 550) is a nice choice. The E60s are very solid cars and ppl don't give them as much credit as they deserve. Just stay away from the 535s.
Yes, definitely considering the Jag and you are right, the XJR is right in the price range. Many examples in nice condition out there.

The 2007+ X5 might be outside the price range still, but we looked at getting another 4.6iS as a possibility. As for the 545, I also frequently overlooked them until I saw how cheap they had become. Since BMW has even more transmission issues I don't want to deal with on the newest models, the 545 is only an option in Sport trim with manual shift.
Old 11-21-10, 07:20 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you thinking more sedan or suv? If you're leaning towards sedan jag XJR = epic win. Even an XJ8 is awesome (same power as the LS) and should be more reliable engine wise than an XJR.

If I were you I might step away from the 545. Remember it uses a lot of engine/drivetrain from the BMW 745 (which you told me you hated lol). I think late BMW manuals are a pain in the *** to drive. I got rid of my 328 b/c of the manual trans conflicting with the A/C. That and the trans shifting is really inconsistent. I never change my shifting habits, but the car will be smooth some days and jerky others. Still don't know why. That being said there is no substitution for the control you get in a manual. I feel like a racecar driver when I enter a corner quick, heel-toe down 3 gears, clip the apex and shoot out of it . I suppose what I am saying is that a manual is great, but the ones on newer BMWs are not so good IMO. The ones in VW/Audi seem much better.
Old 11-21-10, 07:38 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

As the owner of an lx470, they are great cars. Really smooth, steering isn't as responsive, but well weighted. The transmission shifts are seemless and build quality is top notch. It may not be as fast or as advanced as an x5, but it is much better built, no matter what people will tell you. just feels more solid. As to a 5 series, a 535 may be a better choice to you because it will cheaper to run, has more then adequate power and driving it is actually fun, although i, as well as others find the exterior styling t be less then attractive. Its all up to you
Old 11-21-10, 09:13 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

I've read that the best LX470s are the ones build in early 05 and before when they were made by Caraco(?) rather than Toyota. Your thoughts on that?
Old 11-21-10, 12:54 PM
tcbted
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, Ian, the LS appears to be driven mostly by your brother.

Is your daily driver a Ram pickup truck, the old STS, or something different?
Old 11-21-10, 06:08 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I've read that the best LX470s are the ones build in early 05 and before when they were made by Caraco(?) rather than Toyota. Your thoughts on that?
That's really interesting. I had never heard that, but the ones that will most likely be in my price range will be 98-2001 (LXs retain value their value AMAZINGLY well, my friend's step-dad has a 2004 he bought brand new that now has 295000 miles on it and he refuses to sell it.). I like both the Land Cruiser and the LX470 so it just depends on which ends up being a better deal if I go that route, since back in those earlier years there was even less differentiation between the two models.

Originally Posted by tcbted
So, Ian, the LS appears to be driven mostly by your brother.

Is your daily driver a Ram pickup truck, the old STS, or something different?
I gave him the LS back a little while ago, so I have been driving the Jeep.
Old 11-21-10, 06:15 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Are you thinking more sedan or suv? If you're leaning towards sedan jag XJR = epic win. Even an XJ8 is awesome (same power as the LS) and should be more reliable engine wise than an XJR.

If I were you I might step away from the 545. Remember it uses a lot of engine/drivetrain from the BMW 745 (which you told me you hated lol). I think late BMW manuals are a pain in the *** to drive. I got rid of my 328 b/c of the manual trans conflicting with the A/C. That and the trans shifting is really inconsistent. I never change my shifting habits, but the car will be smooth some days and jerky others. Still don't know why. That being said there is no substitution for the control you get in a manual. I feel like a racecar driver when I enter a corner quick, heel-toe down 3 gears, clip the apex and shoot out of it . I suppose what I am saying is that a manual is great, but the ones on newer BMWs are not so good IMO. The ones in VW/Audi seem much better.
Good advice, the 545 would probably be unlikely unless I find a really really mint example. You are right though, I was not a fan of my 745. By far the part I hated the most about it though was the base sound system and the HORRIBLE transmission. I had all kinds of trouble with it just in general though that I don't even remember.

Most drawn to an SUV at this point, with the RR and the LX at the top of the list for their own VERY individual reasons. But as usual, a wildcard can jump in there at the last minute.
Old 11-21-10, 06:54 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

A sedan I'd consider is an A8.
An R8 and your brother will be very jealous of you
Old 11-21-10, 07:25 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

My mistake, it was Araco that built the LX470 and Land Cruiser. Here's a good thread that points to another.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx4...value-for.html
Old 11-21-10, 07:33 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Even with the Araco build from 98- till i think 05 and 06-07, i would still take the 06-07. Looks better, more power, more options. The main issue was with the sensors failing but with some delerships, they will cover it due to the sensors not being able to handle certain weather conditions. I once drove a friends 05 with 12k miles at the time and compared to the 01, drove just about the same, little stiffer with the 18 inch rims but i didn't mind. The 03's and up also lower once you hit a certain speed on the highway i believe, the 98-02's did not

Quick Reply: May be leaving the family soon...