LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS 430 Ultra as sports car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-10, 03:08 PM
David M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 430 Ultra as sports car?

Has anyone played with their 430 Ultra like a sports car and pulled numbers for 1/4 mile, g-pad, and etc? I'd especially be interested in a comparison with the engine and traction controls at normal driving versus all them in as sport a mode as they'll handle.

Reason I'm asking is that I've had some *great* fun pushing my little ultra around some mountain roads and experienced quite some g forces before the all-season "ultra handling" tires even began to squeal! I was amazed.

Thanks,
David
Old 11-24-10, 03:14 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You must be confused and think that you have purchased a sports car? You have purchased an executive luxury sedan.
Old 11-24-10, 03:26 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

I know what you mean, this car is pretty awesome in a straight line, power is smooth and constant and abundant all the way up to redline. Car never really feels like it's trying. The car handles pretty well, but I wouldnt call it sporty. It definitely will run with many sport sedans and indeed some sports cars (the slower ones of course ). I wouldn't call it a sports car though, more of a sleeper. The other guy never expects that I have a V8 underneath.
Old 11-24-10, 03:33 PM
David M
Driver

Nevertheless, I have played with it in twisties. I'm selling my current sports car because it's just too small to carry us *and* the grandkids. <sigh> But I still like to play now and then and the Ultra has not disappointed.
Old 11-24-10, 04:46 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I have yet to hear the tires squeel around a corner, and have not broken them loose in a corner. Thats what happens when you get a bit older.

But its been a very LONG time since I owned a rear wheel drive car. My last one was a 240Z. I'm am looking forward to doing some donuts in the parking lots when they get snow covered this winter !
Old 11-24-10, 05:35 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've found that throttle interruption is rather profound if you stomp on it when your wheels are turned. However, when you're headed in a straight line, the car can generate some respectable thrust. Turns, once rolling, are predictable without uncontrollable oversteer. Overall, I think the car's performance is very commendable.
Old 11-24-10, 05:53 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've thrown it around the twisty backroads that I take here to work.. and it's a nice car, but no "sports" car or even close. Keep in mind, I'm not using any fancy tires (atleast I don't think) just Continental ContiProContact, and they stick well... but I wouldn't push them. I've had my rear give a few times and the TRAC kick in, but even then it was too late to prevent the slide.

Want a sports car... get the Nissan GT-R.
Old 11-24-10, 09:01 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Only thing I like about the winter is powersliding every turn when snow first falls (and with no traffic of course). Can't wait to go round those roundabouts sideways again. Curious to see how the LS does in snow. My 328 was a tricky little thing with crappy stock runflats (but tricky in a very fun way).

EDIT: Just a side question, how effective is the air suspension switching b/t sport and comfort modes? Is there a notable difference in ride quality/handling characteristics? I have ML so I have steel springs with no adjustment.

Last edited by CarGuy89; 11-24-10 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-25-10, 01:02 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
EDIT: Just a side question, how effective is the air suspension switching b/t sport and comfort modes? Is there a notable difference in ride quality/handling characteristics? I have ML so I have steel springs with no adjustment.
Oh yes, the ride/handling firms up noticeably in sport mode.
Old 11-25-10, 05:53 AM
94LSon20
Driver

The "sport" but noticeably firms up the suspension, nothing too crazy, but you do feel less body roll in the turns.

When it comes to sliding, that only happens in the rain when I purposely try. This car sticks in wet and dry conditions unless you really dog it, it's very predictable
Old 11-25-10, 07:17 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the 18" rims with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires and it handles pretty good for a two ton boat... Non-UL

Last edited by JimsGX; 11-25-10 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-25-10, 07:27 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

The LS is not even close to a sports car. If you think it is, you've never driven a real sports car. The LS is too big and too heavy for a sporty ride. The horsepower to weight ratio is much too low. The suspension is set up for comfort, not performance.
Old 11-25-10, 07:48 AM
David M
Driver

Stu, you are correct of course. But that doesn't mean we can't play with it.

re air; I agree that it does stiffen up and while the ride is not unbearable it's still not too bad. Even on full "comfort" the car doesn't slosh around like the old Caddies used to. (maybe the new ones, too?)

I'd love to get some g-readings.
Doesn't one of the radar detector manufacturers make one?

Last edited by David M; 11-25-10 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-25-10, 08:31 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7iUaqUyKoQ

I'm sure some of you have seen this already, but this is a rare vid of an LS430 drag racing an Acura RSX.

While I am certainly not saying that the LS430 is something I would take to a track day, I am definitely impressed by the car's performance capabilities considering how luxurious the car really is.
Old 11-25-10, 12:42 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 5.9s

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
I'm sure some of you have seen this already, but this is a rare vid of an LS430 drag racing an Acura RSX.

While I am certainly not saying that the LS430 is something I would take to a track day, I am definitely impressed by the car's performance capabilities considering how luxurious the car really is.
Yes, the straight line 5.9s is impressive for such a big car (impressive for any car)... but once you add corners, it's a different story.

What I would like to see is the LS430 vs. a soccer mom minivan on the highway... ha ha.

Last edited by AlexusAnja; 11-26-10 at 02:34 AM.

Quick Reply: LS 430 Ultra as sports car?