LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Interior Door and ECT switch Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-10, 08:00 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Interior Door and ECT switch Lighting

I do alot of night driving, thus my lights work about 75% of the time. My ECT switch bulb has burnt out, as well at the door handle bulb. Does anyone know how to change these?

And has anyone found a way to make the Foot lights under the dash and the center stack light (appears to be illuminating from the Garage Door Opener area) brighter? I'd like them to be as bright as they are when the car is in park, if that's possible.
Old 11-24-10, 08:21 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could switch em to leds they will be brighter. I change mines out when they blew but I just used regular bulbs. Its easy just start from bottom of cluster and use a something to pry section out on the each side. I used a screwdriver with rubber coating and tape on tip pop out left then right side disconnect it then use screwdriver to turn bulbs out of socket . You may have put car in nuetral to get it out. I didn't use leds cause I wouldve had to every buld led to many not enough time. They sell the bulbs on ebay for cheap or at the stealers for like 10 bucks a piece . I have some pics. But I'm on my phone in florida won't be back home(md) to my laptop till sunday. Loving the weather down here in kissime flo.
Old 11-25-10, 08:04 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

My ECT switch and suspension switch lights died several months ago and I haven't gotten around to replacing them yet. The info you are looking for should be at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...nd-part-s.html
Old 11-27-10, 08:34 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
My ECT switch and suspension switch lights died several months ago and I haven't gotten around to replacing them yet. The info you are looking for should be at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...nd-part-s.html
Stan, you are the man! I didn't realize they updated that thread. Too bad I don't know how to Solder. Maybe I can find a friend who can do them for me.
Old 11-28-10, 06:46 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Stan, you are the man! I didn't realize they updated that thread. Too bad I don't know how to Solder. Maybe I can find a friend who can do them for me.
You can learn how to decently solder in 10-15 minutes. Get an electronics solder gun kit at HD or Ratshack for 15 bucks and then practice on some old pieces of wires for a few minutes. Its pretty easy and inexpensive to learn and a good skill to have in a pinch.
Old 12-09-10, 02:43 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

The ECT, suspension firmness, and suspension height switches are NOT LEDs and do not require any soldering. The base measures 9mm, height 12mm. The other threads mention using bulbs from http://autolumination.com/74.htm but I don't see any there with 9mm base diameters.

To get at the switches, pry out the bottom panel that has the seat temperature *****. Once loosened, use the manual shift override to move the shifter out of the way and hang this panel to the left. Undo the bolts that hold the face of the CD player/switches/storage box and pull the whole thing out. Undo the 3 cables connecting the switches and take the entire face thing out.

On the back of the face panel, pry a thin flathead screwdriver between the black casing and the grey frame. This will pop out the black casing with the white casing inside it.

On one side of the black casing, you'll see a plastic grey tab with a Philips-type cross on it. This is the base of the bulb and the bulb+base is removed by turning counter-clockwise slightly and then pulling it up and out.

The replacement bulb is a Lexus-only part # 90010-01059, 14V 0.84W with a green cap. There were only 41 of these bulbs left in all of North America as of Dec.9 5pm: 1 in Toronto (mine for $8.80), 1 in Vancouver, the rest in California. If you're in the US, use https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...tanvandam.html for the best price.

I thought I had 2 burned out bulbs, but when I reseated the non-working bulbs, 1 came back on! I verified power going to that switch by putting a working bulb in the same spot, so the problem is definitely just a dead bulb.
Old 12-09-10, 02:55 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The door handle bulbs are already LED's. They use an amber 3mm LED which you can buy at most electronic places. In order to change these you need to remove the door panels to get to the LED. Then you need to just unsolder the old LED and solder in the new ones.

The foot well lights are also LED's. Same as the door panels they are amber 3mm. Its pretty easy to get these out and replace.

The over head lights are again LED's. But these are amber 5mm units. This mod is a little more difficult then the doors or foo wells. I would suggest having someone do it if your not to familiar with removing the unit and soldering.

I have replaced all these LED's to bright white pieces myself so if you want more info let me know.