LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Rear camber adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-11, 07:59 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Selah777
how often do you get allignment? I have friends who run -6 to -9 camber and dont have problems with tires.. it all depends on your toe
Only problem is the LS430 does not have adjustable toe links for the rear. So when adding camber it increases the toe on our cars.
Old 06-07-11, 08:28 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

guys I am making versions to cover both cases. I will also look at the toe links.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 06-07-11, 09:14 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Selah777
how often do you get allignment? I have friends who run -6 to -9 camber and dont have problems with tires.. it all depends on your toe
everytime i adjust something i get an alignment. i seriously drive about 2200 miles a month,, a month, not every 4 months. this is the biggest factor and difference between me and most others who ride low. my toe is almost in spec, i believe its like .1 outside of spec on both side like hilodb said it increases the toe when you go low on our cars,,

and selah777 it does not all depend on your toe. when you ride 10,000 (4 months for me) on your inside part of your tire on a stretched tire it tends to wear out rather quickly...

Last edited by sojah; 06-07-11 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-07-11, 03:54 PM
Selah777
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sojah
everytime i adjust something i get an alignment. i seriously drive about 2200 miles a month,, a month, not every 4 months. this is the biggest factor and difference between me and most others who ride low. my toe is almost in spec, i believe its like .1 outside of spec on both side like hilodb said it increases the toe when you go low on our cars,,

and selah777 it does not all depend on your toe. when you ride 10,000 (4 months for me) on your inside part of your tire on a stretched tire it tends to wear out rather quickly...
you said you roll with -3 degrees of camber though.. thats just not that much is all Im saying
Old 06-07-11, 04:54 PM
06~ULTRA
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by FIGS
guys I am making versions to cover both cases. I will also look at the toe links.
Good 2 hear…but dammn, I wish I could’ve helped u out on making the c.arms . Seems like we have been waiting years, when it’s only been a few months. But after seeing the quality work u do...I can wait.
Old 06-08-11, 09:30 AM
User 82021
Driver

Originally Posted by HiloDB1
Only problem is the LS430 does not have adjustable toe links for the rear. So when adding camber it increases the toe on our cars.
the toe is adjusted on a cam centric bolt, you would be surprised how much toe you can adjust out of them.

i'm sure people who are running the supposed 3 6 or 9 degrees(?) of camber would need a toe arm that can be adjusted to compensate for added camber.

the alignment should be set at ride height, id like to see a car that has the adjustable lowers that would max out the stock adjustment for the toe.

i am not saying it isn't possible, id just love to see a car with a ride height that is that low.
Old 06-08-11, 09:59 AM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by azcamber
the toe is adjusted on a cam centric bolt, you would be surprised how much toe you can adjust out of them.

i'm sure people who are running the supposed 3 6 or 9 degrees(?) of camber would need a toe arm that can be adjusted to compensate for added camber.

the alignment should be set at ride height, id like to see a car that has the adjustable lowers that would max out the stock adjustment for the toe.

i am not saying it isn't possible, id just love to see a car with a ride height that is that low.
Im sure if you had adjustable lower arms to add camber you could easily max out the stock adjustable cambolts for toe. It doesnt have to be about how low the car sits. People use camber to fit more aggressive wheels and such not just for lowering. The purpose of needing the adjustable camber arms in my case is to do just that fit more aggressive wheels.
Old 06-08-11, 10:42 AM
User 82021
Driver

Originally Posted by HiloDB1
Im sure if you had adjustable lower arms to add camber you could easily max out the stock adjustable cambolts for toe. It doesnt have to be about how low the car sits. People use camber to fit more aggressive wheels and such not just for lowering. The purpose of needing the adjustable camber arms in my case is to do just that fit more aggressive wheels.
so they arent aligning it at ride height?
Old 06-08-11, 01:28 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by azcamber
so they arent aligning it at ride height?
Its is adjusted at right height. But thats not my point.
Old 06-09-11, 03:01 AM
notserp
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

more camber = more aggressive wheel =)
Old 06-10-11, 02:02 PM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I am at the dealer now waiting for them to install a shorter, lower arm on the left rear. With alignment this is going to cost $400. Just put on new Michelins so this needs to be done as the old tire showed terrible inner wear pattern.

Just seems like this was a factory defect to me..... Third set of tires went on at 60k... No mods to suspension. What can you do? My wife thinks Lexus should fix it, but we are third owner of 2004 vehicle.
Old 06-10-11, 02:30 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Toe eats tires and most issues related to camber wear are toe driven made worse by camber. So have them check your toe settings as well.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 06-12-11, 01:41 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ejthomp
I am at the dealer now waiting for them to install a shorter, lower arm on the left rear. With alignment this is going to cost $400. Just put on new Michelins so this needs to be done as the old tire showed terrible inner wear pattern.

Just seems like this was a factory defect to me..... Third set of tires went on at 60k... No mods to suspension. What can you do? My wife thinks Lexus should fix it, but we are third owner of 2004 vehicle.
i ordered these (x2) from an OEM lexus parts site (i think it was seawell parts), had them installed, and got an alignment at a non lexus shop that i trust and it was like $375...

you should get 2 of them not just one, that seems really weird. i know our car sags a little on one side and the camber is different (stock) on each of the rear wheels (even at stock setting for everything).

just rotate your tires regularly and you should be good.
Old 06-13-11, 07:09 AM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
i ordered these (x2) from an OEM lexus parts site (i think it was seawell parts), had them installed, and got an alignment at a non lexus shop that i trust and it was like $375...

you should get 2 of them not just one, that seems really weird. i know our car sags a little on one side and the camber is different (stock) on each of the rear wheels (even at stock setting for everything).

just rotate your tires regularly and you should be good.
So $400 for everything wasn't bad then. The left rear was the side that was horribly out of range. My wife nearly had a flat tire as the tire wear on just that side was terrible.

I asked for their alignment printout after they finished and kept it. Everything is now within specs and they said I should be good now. Hopefully I don't have to address this issue for a while. I hope the air suspension lasts.... It isn't perfect (passenger side slightly lower than driver's side) but I'm okay with it.
Old 06-13-11, 09:43 AM
Mr.Doback
Driver

bump for camber!

Quick Reply: Rear camber adjustment