LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New Lexus owner x 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-10 | 01:38 PM
AstroVic
Driver School Candidate

Default New Lexus owner x 2

I'm glad I found this forum. This is my first post here.

We just bought two "new" Lexus LS430s - a 2003 and a 2004. These cars are great - big, safe, comfortable, quiet, and (presumably) ultra reliable - and the fuel economy isn't too bad for a big heavy V8 RWD sedan, either.

The 2004 does not have navigation or Mark Levinson. I really don't care about nav systems and I certainly wasn't willing to pay any extra money to have one. Plus, the sound system in that car is actually quite good compared to what I'm used to.

Then a few weeks later we saw the 2003 and it was too good to pass up, so we got it. While I didn't care two twigs about having the nav system, I was really excited about the ML sound system. Of course, the rear sub is blown, but I figured that was no big deal and that it would be an easy fix. Turns out, that's not quite as straightforward as I thought! Oh well, I'll read more posts on here about the blown subwoofer (Lord knows there are plenty of them!) and I'll figure something out. More likely than not I'll get one of those Kickers that someone mentioned in another post. Crutchfield has them "buy one get one free" right now so if anyone is interested in buying the extra one from me, shoot me a message and we'll split the cost.
Old 12-16-10 | 01:39 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

congrats on the 2 rides and welcome!
Old 12-16-10 | 02:33 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Welcome! If you've been reading here, you already know that your original post is missing the required pics.
Old 12-16-10 | 02:35 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Congrads on the new rides. The rear subwoofer fix was not all that bad other than the labor of pulling the rear seat. I picked up the foam and had a tech from a local shop refoam and install. It cost me a little under $200 but beats buying a new subwoofer. They are great cars but the sound systems leave much to be desired.
Old 12-16-10 | 03:16 PM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Welcome! What a way to join the family!! 2 LS's!!
Old 12-16-10 | 07:41 PM
airtime
Racer
CL Folding 1M

Definitely a good bang for the bucks these LS's. I've seen some super prices without Navi. Make me wonder why some would buy new econo box car vs buying a bullet proof used LS.
Old 12-16-10 | 08:15 PM
AstroVic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by airtime
Definitely a good bang for the bucks these LS's. I've seen some super prices without Navi. Make me wonder why some would buy new econo box car vs buying a bullet proof used LS.
Exactly right! We would've had a hard time buying two new Honda Civics for the prices we paid for these cars - and both of them are in 95% pristine condition or better. They are both as close to new as you could possibly expect for a used car. It's obvious that the prior owners took extremely good care of them.

The '04 was owned by a local doctor who had it serviced religiously at the local Lexus dealership and recently traded it in for a new LS460. His loss was my gain, I guess.

The '03 was traded in at a local BMW dealership. For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would trade that car in for a Beemer, but, again, his loss was my gain.

More than anything, I appreciate the sense of safety and security I have in these vehicles. Big, safe, comfortable, and reliable. What's not to like?

My daughter (still just a little girl) told me, "Daddy, these cars are SMOOTH!"
Old 12-17-10 | 05:08 AM
Jabberwock

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your LS'sss
Old 12-17-10 | 07:08 AM
airtime
Racer
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by AstroVic
My daughter (still just a little girl) told me, "Daddy, these cars are SMOOTH!"
Very observant daughter

You can always add navi as shown in the threads above, I know some purist would says its not the same but many times the aftermarket setup is even better and upgradable. The car itself is 90% exactly the same in all except for trim, and suspension setup.
Old 12-17-10 | 08:55 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Welcome to the club........one for daily while other VIP .
Old 12-17-10 | 09:07 AM
AstroVic
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. I called the local Lexus dealership to ask how much they charge for an oil change. $155 - LOL!!! And they use Kendall synthetic blend. Not bad oil, but sure as heck not worth the price they're asking. Plus, I don't trust those grease monkeys to touch my car when it's something I can do myself. While I had them on the phone I asked how much for a new subwoofer. $450 just for the speaker. I actually laughed when the guy told me the price. (That didn't include installation, btw.)

So, on the way home from work I stopped by the local Advance Auto and picked up some Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil, a Bosch Distance Plus filter, a Purolator air filter, and some silicon. Total cost was about $75 for far superior quality stuff than what the stealer uses, and I got the added satisfaction of knowing the job was done RIGHT. I had everything done in about an hour, taking into account a handful of trips to the fridge for cold beverages.

Sub is working like a champ now, thanks to the silicon fix job.
Old 12-17-10 | 11:45 AM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Welcome and congrats on the 2 rides, but what about those pics
Old 12-17-10 | 01:53 PM
beneteau
Driver

Always check your local Toyota dealership for maintenance, service and repair to your Lexus. Far, far cheaper than a Lexus dealership. I pay about $33 for an oil/filter change at my Toyota dealer. Paid $500 (included cleaning the fuel injectors) for the 60k service----Lexus quoted $ 1,450 for the service which didn't include cleaning the injectors.
Old 12-17-10 | 03:10 PM
99LSBrad
Pit Crew

I found a good local shop that does Mobil 1 for $69, and will rotate tires for $10 while you are there. They also did the tranny flush and fill on my LS400 for $80 a few months back. (I supplied the TOYOTA fluid)
Old 12-17-10 | 03:45 PM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by airtime
My view also. I bought my 2005 18 months ago when it had 8,200 miles on it. Avalons cost more than I paid. I'd much rather have a slightly used LS than a new Avalon (which also would not have allowed me to override the moving car nav block).

Quick Reply: New Lexus owner x 2