Former Accord owner buys an LS430

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 02:13 PM
Milan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Former Accord owner buys an LS430

Small update on Page 2

Hey Club Lexus. I have been lurking on this site for a while soaking in all the knowledge so that I was able to make a good decision when it came time to purchase my LS430.

I test drove a 2003 about a month back and loved the ride and the features but the car wasn't "loved" in the sense that the one I ended up buying was. I have been wanting to replace my 2003 Honda Accord sedan for a while now. Not that there was anything wrong with the car but I was looking to move upmarket and wanted something with a little more pep.

I test drove this LS almost two weeks ago and from the first glance I could tell that this was the one I could see myself owning. The car was meticulously serviced at the dealer I was purchasing from. 13 pages of records showed that all the scheduled maintenance was done and up to date. Although the car had almost 151k miles, I didn't let that turn me away. The dealer wanted $12,900 for the car and after negotiations, I agreed on the price if they replaced the timing belt and water pump (the first timing belt was replaced at 65k miles).

That's not to say the car was without fault. The mirrors wouldn't adjust and the ML sub was rattling. Thanks to this site I was able to fix the mirrors on my test drive and just today I fixed the sub with a bead of hot glue.

Modding my Accord was something I really enjoyed and I look forward to transforming this Lexus! Luckily the bolt pattern is the same for Honda and Lexus so I will be able to re-use my wheels. First chance I got I changed the stock all-season tires on stock rims to my Dunlop M3 winter tires mounted on Tire Rack branded rims. While I have not had the opportunity to put these to the test, I am sure I will plenty of chances this season.

Come spring, I hope to lower the LS. I'm looking at BCR coil overs but I'm open to suggestions. I also had a chance to test-fit my old Acura RDX A-spec wheels. Specs are 19x8 +45. I had to use a spacer to clear the brakes so the effective offset is +30 front and rear in the pictures below. I plan on running a 25mm spacer in the rear to get a flusher look.

These were the only pictures I was able to take before the cold weather killed the battery in my camera.

Here are some shots of my Accord before I sold it. As you can see, I like to change up the wheels.

Hanging out with my buddies in Florida

Last edited by Milan; 06-01-11 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-28-10, 02:40 PM
danxp
Driver

looks sharp, but different rims on each side of the car?
Old 12-28-10, 02:45 PM
Milan
Pole Position

Haha, no. I test fitted the 19" wheels to see what spacer I would need in the front to clear the brakes and how much I can get away with in the rear. The 19s have summer tires, no way would I be able to drive on those. The rims in the first picture are the ones I use in the snow.
Old 12-28-10, 03:16 PM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Milan -

Chalk up another LS owner to the state of Michigan! The forum has many who generously give of their time and expertise in helping those with questions related to this incredible machine.

Btw, it's amazing how good an LS430 can look with 150k on the clock. You've obviously taken good care of your Accord so looks like your 430 is in good hands. Have fun w/ the mods
Old 12-28-10, 04:25 PM
TKPK430
Driver School Candidate

Another great looking LS! The silver color helps, of course.

Welcome (from another newby). And I must say that both sets of rims look pretty sharp on your LS!
Old 12-28-10, 04:45 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Great car. CL or UL? Was the rear bumper repainted or is it just the pic? I'll be watching for you if you cruise I-96 between Detroit and Lansing.
Old 12-28-10, 08:43 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! Looks fantastic, incredibly clean for 150+k mi. Where in MI are you exactly? My home is Ann Arbor, but I go to school in East Lansing. Hope to see you around!

PS: Very nice Accord as well, probably the nicest looking one I've seen yet!
Old 12-28-10, 10:44 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Congrats and enjoy ur ride. Are they 18" oem chromes ur using for winter set up.
Old 12-29-10, 03:09 AM
Milan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Great car. CL or UL? Was the rear bumper repainted or is it just the pic? I'll be watching for you if you cruise I-96 between Detroit and Lansing.
Car has all the options except the UL. I'm not sure if the rear bumper's been repainted, it sure does look like it in the picture but it's not apparent in person. The front bumper has been repainted according to the service record and it sure looks like it.

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Congrats! Looks fantastic, incredibly clean for 150+k mi. Where in MI are you exactly? My home is Ann Arbor, but I go to school in East Lansing. Hope to see you around!

PS: Very nice Accord as well, probably the nicest looking one I've seen yet!
I live in Clinton Twp. Thanks for the compliment!

Originally Posted by GLIDESUL
Congrats and enjoy ur ride. Are they 18" oem chromes ur using for winter set up.
No, I'm using 17" Sport Edition (Tire Rack brand I think) for winter. The car came with 17" stock wheels pictured below (not my pic).

Old 12-29-10, 04:52 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

nice car, and i know you know this but it would look sooooo much better lowered a little on those wheels. keep up the good work. and welcome.
Old 12-29-10, 06:18 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

sorry to bring up the 'ol Accord, but that first pic is stunning. that car looks great. i'm now considering adding one to my inventory after seeing those Honda photos.
Old 12-29-10, 06:53 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Welcome to the family. Your accord looks clean.
Old 12-29-10, 07:18 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Your LS looks great. Hard to believe its got 151k miles on it.
Old 12-29-10, 07:23 AM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Milan, you are a professional photographer? Nice photos. Excellent composition. What camera did you use to take those Accord pics?
Old 12-29-10, 09:12 PM
Milan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sojah
nice car, and i know you know this but it would look sooooo much better lowered a little on those wheels. keep up the good work. and welcome.
Coming this spring and after my tax return!

Originally Posted by DDLexus
sorry to bring up the 'ol Accord, but that first pic is stunning. that car looks great. i'm now considering adding one to my inventory after seeing those Honda photos.
Thank you! I had the OEM front lip which is hard to get now since it's discontinued by Honda. Also in the picture I have the turn-signal mirrors from the 06-07 Accord hybrid. The headlights are blackhoused in some of the pictures. In the picture where they are chrome again I was getting ready to get rid of the car. Car was dropped on Koni adjustables and Eibach Pro-Kit springs. Only way to ride, I think stock Accords look goofy lol. Let me know if you buy a silver one, I still have the mirrors

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
Welcome to the family. Your accord looks clean.
Thanks! Hopefully I can transform my LS the same way.

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Your LS looks great. Hard to believe its got 151k miles on it.
That's the only reason I didn't run away from it with such high mileage. You could have told me it had 51k miles and I would have believed the dealer. Car has barely a squeak from it!

Originally Posted by randal
Milan, you are a professional photographer? Nice photos. Excellent composition. What camera did you use to take those Accord pics?
Not really, I do it as a hobby and I've shot a few weddings but it doesn't pay the bills. Would be nice if it did though! I'm using an oldie Canon 20D DSLR.

Quick Reply: Former Accord owner buys an LS430