LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need Help 04LS430 Navigation project

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-10, 09:16 AM
hksnlper
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help 04LS430 Navigation project

Guys I recently bought a 04 LS430. Car has no Navigation. I was thinking about upgrading to a Factory Navi Unit from an 05 LS430 Part No: 86111-50220. Just need to know if any one has ever done some thing like this and is it possible. Also the wiring harness issue. As my understanding these cars are prewired for Navigation so I should have the harness in the back of the unit?
All advise will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-30-10, 10:06 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the same thing got put into the 04-06s, what are the differences?
Old 12-30-10, 10:29 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

My opinion is not worth the cost, labor, headache, etc. Go aftermarket with an in dash navi unit below. Just my 2 cents
Old 12-30-10, 10:30 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hksnlper
Guys I recently bought a 04 LS430. Car has no Navigation. I was thinking about upgrading to a Factory Navi Unit from an 05 LS430 Part No: 86111-50220. Just need to know if any one has ever done some thing like this and is it possible. Also the wiring harness issue. As my understanding these cars are prewired for Navigation so I should have the harness in the back of the unit?
All advise will be greatly appreciated.

I'm not personallhy sure if this is possible. Who told you that this is possible? I think there is a little more to it than simply plugging the nav unit in the car. I don't know if the nav wiring is in the base model that leads to the trunk for the disc reader. I don't think it's even worth it, as even though it looks elegant in the dash, functionally, it is ancient, and the logic is for the birds. The hand held GPS systems are better than this old school lexus one. But again, the screen does make the console look that much better, but im not sure i would spend the time, money and effort to outfit my car with it if it did not already have it- if of course it is even possible.
Old 12-30-10, 12:03 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I would just buy and use a top quality portable system that is going to be much more up to date and have more features. You can place on dash, or there are some custom mounts sold that you install near the radio and center stack and allow you to mount the portable GPS unit there.

The Lexus inbuilt Nav is not the latest technology, and it requires an expensive annual DVD disk based map update to keep its maps current. And if you search the forum for Nav issues, it appears that it may be somewhat prone to failure and may be expensive to repair.
Old 12-30-10, 12:13 PM
hksnlper
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: I went through the disassembly of the console and in the back wiring harness exist for Navigation. The trunk is prewired for Disk reader. Now the Main question is it worth the money. The total cost to put a used unit it including the bottom cassette Player part is coming out to be $983 including shipping and thats not mar levinson. Its lexus Premium. Now the aftermarket Double Din, What is the best kit out there for a doubledin navi unit including a flush look with the wood dash.
Old 12-30-10, 01:51 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Installing a aftermarket double din unit is a good alternative. You get more modern GPS technology along with inbuilt ipod and potential usb interface. Just save all the old pieces in case someone wants them some day to restore the car back to factory stock condition.
Old 12-31-10, 09:35 PM
Turtlespd
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hksnlper
Update: I went through the disassembly of the console and in the back wiring harness exist for Navigation. The trunk is prewired for Disk reader. Now the Main question is it worth the money. The total cost to put a used unit it including the bottom cassette Player part is coming out to be $983 including shipping and thats not mar levinson. Its lexus Premium. Now the aftermarket Double Din, What is the best kit out there for a doubledin navi unit including a flush look with the wood dash.
Are you 100% positive that LS are prewired? I have a base 02 LS and yes next to the stock premium amp is an extra plug but no it doesnt fit my navigation dvd. I didnt take the time to look behind the dash for display plugs nor did i remove the console. Where did you find this harness at? Im guessing by your reply that it was under the console some where? What model LS do you own, maybe only certain models are prewired. A lot of people on CL always ask about this and your input would be greatly appreciated. I actually have the means to convert my non navi to navi but dont want to open up a can of worms without all the facts correct.
Old 01-01-11, 12:36 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

guys- this is sooo not cost effective any way you slice it.
Old 01-01-11, 11:43 AM
Turtlespd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
guys- this is sooo not cost effective any way you slice it.
Cost effective is a matter opinion, if i told you i can get parts for 500 would you feel the same way. Im tired of everyone stating its too expensive when they have little background in automotive and only stating what others have guessed or gave up on. Guys and girls if your smart enough and know what your doing, this can be cost effective.
Old 01-01-11, 12:07 PM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Turtlespd
Cost effective is a matter opinion, if i told you i can get parts for 500 would you feel the same way. Im tired of everyone stating its too expensive when they have little background in automotive and only stating what others have guessed or gave up on. Guys and girls if your smart enough and know what your doing, this can be cost effective.
How do you ask for feedback, people give you feedback, then you say you tired of the feedback? Thats peoples opinion & stating that its not cost effective IS their opinion. Nobody said anything disrespectful, just giving feedback on a thread YOU listed ASKING for feedback. Not trying to be offensive. Enjoy your day.
Old 01-01-11, 12:53 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Turtle,

First off, we are all of different levels of automotive knowledge here. This is not a street tuner scene where we have all taken apart our cars 10 times to know what is behind every panel. This is different kind of group of enthusiasts. Also, remember your audience. This is an LS430 forum, not a GS430, or SC400 forum. Many of us are older, and don't really plan on doing jobs like this to our cars. We bought the car we wanted with the options we wanted at the time of purchase. We had the patience to wait months until the right LS came along on the used market, or ordered to our specifications 5-10 years ago. Some of us, myself included, are to a point, mechanically inclined, and yes, would tackle a job like this, because it is not like dropping a tranny or doing a water pump- it's simply a few clips and bolts in the reality of things.(if in fact everything bolts up) Just because we don't know the answer, doesn't mean that we have little automotive background. It is obvious that if in fact you were at the top tier of automotive expertise you would not have asked about being 100% sure of the LS being prewired, as you would have accomplished this project allready. So, tone it down a smidge, as we are all friends here and only want to help. You have no control over the responses you are going to get to a question. Furthermore, you are not even the OP, so barking in a thread is uncalled for. Again, I mean you no disrespect, just want to set the record straight, at least according to the way I see it.

Secondly- Yes you are right. Cost effective is a matter of opinion, in just about everything we buy- be it cars, down to organic food. It's all a matter of opinion. Now, if you can get the navi unit in your call with all peripherals for 500 and give your dash a nice facelift with the built in screen, then I too agree, that it is 85% worth it, if you are able to live with the very outdated GUI of the gen 4 navi. I say this, because for the facelift of the dash alone, it may be worth 500 bucks, as people spend hundreds on pieces of plastic/carbon fiber etc. for dash kits that actually do nothing except please the owners aesthetic. So for 500 bucks, you get that, plus a gps.

Good luck with your project, and welcome to CL. If you feel that there are not enough techies here, you may want to go to lexusownersclub.com, I tend to feel that they are more of a tech based crowd, and would reccomend that site as they have alot of DIY, and fix it threads. much more than this site, which is more of a coffee shop type of site, especially in the ls 430 forum.
Old 01-01-11, 12:59 PM
Turtlespd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2004TOYO
How do you ask for feedback, people give you feedback, then you say you tired of the feedback? Thats peoples opinion & stating that its not cost effective IS their opinion. Nobody said anything disrespectful, just giving feedback on a thread YOU listed ASKING for feedback. Not trying to be offensive. Enjoy your day.
I never asked anyone if this change over would be cost effective. I had question about the car it self, prewired or not. Its very easy to tell someone its too expensive. Everything is too expensive! To just beat a poster's thread down only leads to no action. This car is 10 years old and and this question has been asked many times only to get that same reply " not cost effective", maybe so 5 years ago but not today. I dont know how many forum one belongs to but I am a member of several and the skills and education ive gotten from them have been priceless. Its threads like this that gets us answers, its either going to be a cake walk or it will involve a lot of rewiring, either way I can do it. Getting a little help along the way is always nice.

I dont mean to offend anyone but many times people dont speak from first hand and im not pointing fingers. I do apologize and input is always appreciated.
Old 01-01-11, 02:12 PM
Turtlespd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
Turtle,

First off, we are all of different levels of automotive knowledge here. This is not a street tuner scene where we have all taken apart our cars 10 times to know what is behind every panel. This is different kind of group of enthusiasts. Also, remember your audience. This is an LS430 forum, not a GS430, or SC400 forum. Many of us are older, and don't really plan on doing jobs like this to our cars. We bought the car we wanted with the options we wanted at the time of purchase. We had the patience to wait months until the right LS came along on the used market, or ordered to our specifications 5-10 years ago. Some of us, myself included, are to a point, mechanically inclined, and yes, would tackle a job like this, because it is not like dropping a tranny or doing a water pump- it's simply a few clips and bolts in the reality of things.(if in fact everything bolts up) Just because we don't know the answer, doesn't mean that we have little automotive background. It is obvious that if in fact you were at the top tier of automotive expertise you would not have asked about being 100% sure of the LS being prewired, as you would have accomplished this project allready. So, tone it down a smidge, as we are all friends here and only want to help. You have no control over the responses you are going to get to a question. Furthermore, you are not even the OP, so barking in a thread is uncalled for. Again, I mean you no disrespect, just want to set the record straight, at least according to the way I see it.

Secondly- Yes you are right. Cost effective is a matter of opinion, in just about everything we buy- be it cars, down to organic food. It's all a matter of opinion. Now, if you can get the navi unit in your call with all peripherals for 500 and give your dash a nice facelift with the built in screen, then I too agree, that it is 85% worth it, if you are able to live with the very outdated GUI of the gen 4 navi. I say this, because for the facelift of the dash alone, it may be worth 500 bucks, as people spend hundreds on pieces of plastic/carbon fiber etc. for dash kits that actually do nothing except please the owners aesthetic. So for 500 bucks, you get that, plus a gps.

Good luck with your project, and welcome to CL. If you feel that there are not enough techies here, you may want to go to lexusownersclub.com, I tend to feel that they are more of a tech based crowd, and would reccomend that site as they have alot of DIY, and fix it threads. much more than this site, which is more of a coffee shop type of site, especially in the ls 430 forum.
Well, this may not be a street tuner scene but we are all enthusist. Some of us were lucky enough to be able to purchase our LS with all the options. The LS is my daily driven put 300k everyday car. I didn't think it was worth paying 3k more for a car with Navi when i could do the install for much less, substantially less. Lets just say Im asking because thought someone would have already known this and not because i cant perform the task. Preforming is all in the prep and that is what im gathering now. As for my skills, lets say i built a few cars in my lifetime. Everyone is just trying to save a buck. As for the audience, well its anyone who whats to listen or happen to hit the research button. There are many fixes on here that would of never happened if some tuner or punk kid didnt mess with his car. So to shoot down someones need can be uncalled.

The navigation screen opens many doors for someone like me. Its just not only aesthetic. My job requires me to view video so this would take a load off for me not having the need to carry a player. eventually i would like to add a back up camera, well you get the point.

Please dont be offended, I enjoy cars as much as you and love to sit in front of my screen with a cup of coffee and browse. I appreciate your input and will give lexus owners a try.
Old 01-01-11, 10:59 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Well, this may not be a street tuner scene but we are all enthusist. Some of us were lucky enough to be able to purchase our LS with all the options. The LS is my daily driven put 300k everyday car. I didn't think it was worth paying 3k more for a car with Navi when i could do the install for much less, substantially less. Lets just say Im asking because thought someone would have already known this and not because i cant perform the task. Preforming is all in the prep and that is what im gathering now. As for my skills, lets say i built a few cars in my lifetime. Everyone is just trying to save a buck. As for the audience, well its anyone who whats to listen or happen to hit the research button. There are many fixes on here that would of never happened if some tuner or punk kid didnt mess with his car. So to shoot down someones need can be uncalled.

The navigation screen opens many doors for someone like me. Its just not only aesthetic. My job requires me to view video so this would take a load off for me not having the need to carry a player. eventually i would like to add a back up camera, well you get the point.

Please dont be offended, I enjoy cars as much as you and love to sit in front of my screen with a cup of coffee and browse. I appreciate your input and will give lexus owners a try.
Your points are all valid. I was not being condesending to the tuner crowd. I do agree that without them, lots of discoveries would not have been made. I know just how your feel on trying to save a buck. I bought this car CPO, because new, it would have been out of my reach. Anyway- back on track, no hard feelings- lets get your project done!

Quick Reply: Need Help 04LS430 Navigation project