m3nv
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed my out recently too, paid 80 on Amazon... oh wellz
Old 01-05-11, 09:29 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I think there are different brands with different quality level. When I first changed out my SC400 supports (like a million years ago) I got them from Pep Boys at half or less of the EOM. They lasted a few months. Have always used EOMs on my Lexus cars since.

Not saying there are some lower cost, high quality supports out there. Just not willing to go thru the hassle to find them.
Old 01-19-11, 07:06 AM
lyles3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased strongarm brand recently from Amazon for $49 with free shipping. Major difference and the trunk is no longer a safety hazard. Should have replaced months ago.
Old 01-20-11, 12:13 PM
AppleJuice
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do these compare to the FIGS engineering trunk struts?
Old 01-21-11, 06:32 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

I haven't tried other struts besides the failed OEM ones, but I can tell you that the FIGS trunk struts are functioning just like new, after plenty of usage over the 2 years since I installed them.

There was only one minor problem - I posted in https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...rut-reco.html:

"I've been following the Lexus Lubrication and Maintenance service schedules, and I've seen them lube the trunk strut ball joints each time. However, a few months ago, I noticed my left strut is showing rust near the bottom ball joint. Is this covered under warranty? The right strut doesn't have any rust."

Mike from FIGS answered: "For surface rust I suggest spraying with a silicone spray and cleaning with a scotchbrite pad. the rust should not be anything more that superficial. I can swap out the metal end fittings with a new plastic low profile fitting that I have now if you wish. Its a simple thread and unthread."
Old 02-01-11, 10:58 AM
98cruiser
Rookie

Default Struts

so now if I replace them will it pop open a little bit on it own when I hit the open button onside the car???? Or will it still look like it closed until I give it a little help up?????
Old 02-01-11, 11:35 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

With the FIGS struts that I have, it does not pop open a bit when the trunk is unlocked. It was like that when new.

I am guessing it is an intentional design of the struts or maybe the design of the trunk lid and the mounting locations of the struts don't allow for the lid to pop open slightly.
Old 02-01-11, 12:53 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Location

Originally Posted by 98cruiser
so now if I replace them will it pop open a little bit on it own when I hit the open button onside the car???? Or will it still look like it closed until I give it a little help up?????
The location of the struts are on the top and given the weight of the trunk lid, nothing is going to open that thing even slightly. It'll come up the 1/2" or whatever it is when unlatched, but that's it. There's not enough leverage from the struts to lift that trunk up because it's fully compressed once the lid is down.

Hey, get an '07+ and you get auto closer atleast so you don't have to close it manually.
Old 02-01-11, 03:04 PM
JBLover
Pit Crew

This sounds like a good idea seeing as my trunk closed on my head last week and left a bump for 2 days... ouch....
Old 02-02-11, 03:18 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JBLover
This sounds like a good idea seeing as my trunk closed on my head last week and left a bump for 2 days... ouch....
If your trunk falls on your head, you are definitely in line for new struts. It shouldn't fall until the bottom of the trunk lid is about 10 to 14 inches from being fully closed.
Old 02-24-11, 01:25 PM
monrovea
Rookie

Smile monrovea

Originally Posted by beneteau
Just changed the trunk lift supports on the wife's 05 LS. Didn't realize just how bad the old ones were until I had the new ones installed. What a difference. Bought on eBay---$50.00 for both---Strong Arm brand.
I replaced mine 18 months ago from ParksAvenue at $60.00.(they are cheaper now) They have held up well as I am in my trunk ALOT.
Old 05-28-11, 08:33 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Anyone have the model number strong arm struts?
Advance auto has them but there are a few and varies in price.
thanks
Old 06-04-11, 11:25 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I think these are the one
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...A|GRP2037_____

can anyone can confirm?
Old 11-01-11, 08:41 PM
GatorRay
Driver School Candidate

I'm not clear about whether the trunk gas struts on my newly purchased 2006 LS430 are actually bad or not. The problem is not having the trunk lid close inappropriately, but rather it's the significant effort of opening the trunk after unlocking it with the fob or the lever under the dash. My wife is used to the LS400 trunk opening almost effortlessly with the older hinged system that is balanced so nicely. Would brand new gas struts for the LS430 trunk provide an easier lift effort? I'm partial to the StrongArm Made in U.S.A. struts as I had the defective hood struts replaced on our LS400 with that brand. Even opening the massive hood on the LS400 was greatly eased with the new hood struts so I'm starting to think the LS430 trunk struts are failing. Am I wrong???
Old 11-02-11, 08:22 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GatorRay
I'm not clear about whether the trunk gas struts on my newly purchased 2006 LS430 are actually bad or not. The problem is not having the trunk lid close inappropriately, but rather it's the significant effort of opening the trunk after unlocking it with the fob or the lever under the dash. ........................ Even opening the massive hood on the LS400 was greatly eased with the new hood struts so I'm starting to think the LS430 trunk struts are failing. Am I wrong???
The design of the trunk strut location/intrusion into the trunk, is such that it does require some effort to lift the trunk, even with new struts. The best test to determine if the struts are doing the job is to lower the trunk lid and determine the height of the lower edge of the trunk to closure. If the minimum supported height before it starts to is more than about 10 to 14 inches from being fully closed, then the struts need to be replaced.

Quick Reply: New trunk lift supports---what a difference