LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04'-06' LS430 or Mercedes CLS500/550 ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-11, 08:50 PM
99LSBrad
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to your local craigslist and see how many used CLS's are for sale vs. 430's. That should answer your question.
Old 01-05-11, 04:00 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

From an owner with both...

If you are looking for something reliable enough to take you beyond 200K, be smooth as silk, ample power for just everyday commuting, and great features like navigation, parking assist, etc, look no further then the LS430.

If you are looking for the sexy design, excellent track-like handling, rocket-ship launch power (the AMG version we have) visually appealing interior, more gadgets than you can name, and monster under the hood... go with the CLS550 (not 500, big difference in performance)

It's hard to compare these cars because they are used in different applications. As mentioned above the CLS is designed to be a coupe-like sedan with coupe-like handling and performance. This sacrifices ride quality and quietness. The LS430 I can take anywhere at anytime and be as comfortable as possible. When driving the CLS, I can take and enjoy the ride for awhile (just because I've always been spirited driver), but when you get used to quiet and smooth, the small vibrations and noise will get to you after a long drive in the Benz. If it's a car you need for many many miles, choose the LS430. If it's one you'll drive around town, and look as sharp as you perform, you want the CLS.

If you have any questions, I'll try to be on here to answer them for you.
Old 01-05-11, 07:30 AM
MrXerox
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
From an owner with both...
Wanna trade lives for awhile?
Old 01-05-11, 08:23 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I would say it really depends on what you’re looking for in a vehicle. I just traded my CLS in for a CL550 after 3 years of ownership. Don't believe the hype my CLS was very reliable. I only had one or two problems with the car. The CLS will grab attention wherever you go. Even when the new body style comes out you’ll still look better than half of the cars on the road. The only thing I hated about the car was the interior I felt it should have had more features for 82k. Which is where the LS430 wins? As for me I want the best looking girl in the class even though she fusses a little bit. B/c every time I see her she will bring a smile to my face. If I had to decide I would say go CLS but if you’re looking for comfort go LS.

Last edited by rogers2; 01-10-11 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01-05-11, 01:10 PM
TrueLexLov
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TrueLexLov
I just recently posted the same thread at mbworld.com to get some feedback from the other side of the fence but man I saw another CLS today and it grabs you by the heart... hopefully not the wallet(nuts). But I do agree with a test drive of both vehicles before I purchase anyone. I do appreciate all thoughts thus far.

Here's the update to the replies on MBworld.com thread:

"The CLS is a styling exercise, the Lexus is comfortable transportation. I'm 6'2" also and have no problem with my CLS seating. I do have to run the seat forward if there are larger people in the back."

"I'm 6 foot and I can't get into back of CLS w/out bumping my head. The CLS compares more to the Lexus GS. We got my wife's father a LS430 for father's day a few yrs back, and it's a GREAT car - especially the Ultra Luxury version we got. I was tempted to make that my daily driver as it's the most comfy car I can imagine while still sporty AND reliable. The major issue for me driving the LS would be that most people I see driving it are 55-65 yrs old...and I'm not there yet"

"Are you 60+? Lexus - Are you 59 or below? CLS"

Nothing too crazy but I'm know that my preference is style and I know that I do want some type of warranty which was heavily suggested but I don't want to make the wrong decision but my gut is saying "LS" where my inner demon is saying "CLS". I'm totally indecisive.
Old 01-05-11, 01:46 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't let the age factor play into it too much. Remember, it's your car so how you feel about it is all that matters. I am 21 and have the LS430 as a DD for going to school and getting around town. I think it's a fantastic car b/c it does everything I need it to: luxurious for driving around town, power when you want to to have fun, and reliability so you don't have to see the dealer's waiting lounge very often. The LS is hands down one of the best cars I've ever driven (and I've driven an S-class, 911 Turbo, GS, ES, etc). Each part feels like it's been precisely crafted and the entire car feels like it was made out of a giant lump of steel...it's so solid!

This is not to say the MB is bad in any way, it's just my take on the LS for the few months I've had it so far. I really loved the S-class and may very well own one down the road when I actually pull in an income . I love the styling of the CLS, it definitely is more attention grabbing than the LS.
Old 01-05-11, 03:47 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For the record, I am 6'2" and drive the CLS just fine. The back isn't fun, but I don't ride in the back of my cars - ever.
Old 01-05-11, 05:24 PM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Look, Im 6' 4" 255lbs & 40 y/o & I LOVE my car. Like carguy said, dont get caught up with the age part of it. The car has the room & reliablilty that you need. EVERYBODY knows you gotta go with your "gut" (as u stated). So go w/yours and grab that LS buddy & we look 4ward to seeing your LS pictures on a new thread!!!

Old 01-09-11, 12:34 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

for ease of maintenance....Lexus...hands down.
Old 01-09-11, 01:39 PM
LS4thewife
Driver School Candidate

I think your first post is pretty much right on.I bought the car for my wife because it was a safe and reliable car with enough room to lug our kid and all of his junk around. I chose this over a Benz or BMW for those reasons. I also think it has the best interior of the three. To be honest I like the car a lot more than I thought I would. It is amazing on long drives. It is just such a solid car. It's also hard to get my wife out of a car that she has already "nested" in. I had to fource her into this car. She now loves the car and I expect her to he in it for a long time. good luck
Old 01-09-11, 03:35 PM
Cheesaleo
Driver School Candidate

Here's a helpful suggestion, go to "www.edmunds.com" read about the specs of both vehicles, and as well as the personal owner comments. Each owner usually rates the performance, reliability, gas, comfort, and fun/wow factor of these vehicles. Sure the Mercedes is going to give u a slight edge on resale value, but the LS430 is best car next full luxury sedan under $30k. The reliability is the best in its class, and also its more comfy than CLS500/550. The LS430 is fast 290bhp, although the Merc is little more faster....but remember once your 75/80mph how much more do you really need. Get the LS430. I purchased mine about 3yrs ago, and believe me...It still gives me the wow factor when start it up to this day.

P.S> Stay away from the UL edition, go with the ML.
Old 01-09-11, 06:29 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

I know that there are plenty of people that will advise against the UL, but it really is a great car. I had an issue with the air suspension not being level, but it turned out to be really easy to adjust on my own. The interior and air ride are amazing. The parts can be expensive if they fail, so make sure to get a CPO if you go with a UL. You can still get 06's through the CPO program.
Old 01-09-11, 06:52 PM
emad2007
Driver

Old 01-09-11, 06:53 PM
emad2007
Driver

lexus ls430
Old 01-09-11, 07:07 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrXerox
Wanna trade lives for awhile?
Comment of the week

Originally Posted by emad2007
lexus ls430

Quick Reply: 04'-06' LS430 or Mercedes CLS500/550 ??