LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04'-06' LS430 or Mercedes CLS500/550 ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-11, 04:04 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

So did you make your decision? As you can see in the pictures above the LS430 kills the CLS interior wise. But in looks the CLS is definitely the winner. That CLS doesn't even have the AMG kit which I feel mandatory on all Benz. Good lucky shopping
Old 01-11-11, 06:51 PM
TrueLexLov
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man...The past couple of days I've been doing a lot of thinking and I must say you guys are awesome and I appreciate the side by side emad2007, I've been trying to do that with 2 internet tabs open side by side lol. I know that the LS has some top of the line features and that it is most comparable to top luxury cars such as the BMW 745/50, Merc Benz 500/50 and so forth. I feel that the CLS is a exteriorly beautiful car and will turn heads but If I were to customize my LS it would surely turn heads. With all the snow and stuff lately I can't imagine being stuck somewhere in my nice looking P.O.S car. I will arrange some test rides to get a true feel of the cars but I hope the benz doesn't gain some points. If I do get the LS I was considering the Flint Mica with the black interior(sweet) I don't have a garage so I would be a bit nervous to park it outside night by night but what the hell that isn't gonna stop me either. I still am looking for suggestions!!
Old 01-11-11, 10:06 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe this will sway you a bit
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=524674

It is a thread I made after picking up my current 430. Also has pics of many sweet flint micas of other members. You have picked a fine color choice!
Old 01-12-11, 07:34 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe I'm just use to the Japanese ergonomics, but I just feel that Lexus ergonomics are better and things placed where they should be. I'm sure for someone who is use to European vehicles, they'd come back and say they don't like the Lexus interior.

Buying a car is just preferences and what you like. The CLS is liked for the exterior, I personally don't like it because it has too much of a bulbous look (like the old Infiniti J30) for me. Much like the Beetle look.
Old 01-12-11, 08:04 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the design of the LS430 is classic and timeless. The CL looks nice, but to me, its a design that will look dated over time compared to the LS. The quality and layout of the interior between the two goes in favor of the LS. I drove an E550 about a year ago and the center console control layout was confusing. Way too many buttons... From the Pic's posted here, it looks like MB hasn't made much progress in that area.
Old 01-12-11, 06:20 PM
TrueLexLov
Driver School Candidate

I've came to a revelation and I've decided to drop the Merc From the competition but I must say The 2006 GS430 is definitely a nice lookin ride and is now within my scope. I like the style and sleek shape but I'm not sure that it has the space like the LS. I currently have an 98 ES300 and I surely would like more space than that. I agree that Lexus is the way to go, I once was blind but now I see. I hope this decision will be easier. All thoughts are needed.
Attached Thumbnails 04'-06' LS430 or Mercedes CLS500/550 ??-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 01-12-11, 06:45 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

I've driven the current GS350. While it was a great car, I felt it wasn't in the same league as the LS (despite costing about the same when new). The GS was an excellent highway cruiser, but didn't quite do so well everywhere else IMO. The GS is supposedly a sporty sedan, but the steering ruins the whole experience as it is too light and devoid of feel. I personally think the steering in the LS is much better weighted. The suspension is definitely sportier and will give you an edge in cornering over the LS. However, the suspension was quite firm over broken pavement and the car exhibited loads of rattles and squeaks. The engine also vibrated slightly. Yes I know that the V6 design is inherently rougher running than the V8 b/c the forces don't cancel out, but a smooth engine was something I took for granted so it came as a bit of a shock. As for room, the LS is way roomier than the GS. The seats are wider in the LS, with a wider armrest and a lot more headroom.

I'm not saying the GS is a bad car. I'm just saying that the LS has spoiled me. As a daily driver, it does everything beyond what I was used to. Now that I've had it for a while, other cars just don't compare, not even ones from the same company. Only thing that I've driven that matches the LS experience is the W220 Merc S500. However, we all know that in general Lexus reliability >> Mercedes reliability. As I've said before, I am absolutely blown away by how good the car is. I've had it for 4 months now and the praises just keep coming. IMO the LS430 is one of the best daily drivers in the world. It relaxes and spoils the driver, is relatively low maintenance, costs a reasonable price to buy used (a lot cheaper than a same yr 7 series, s class, or A8), and has a solid feel that is hard to find.

I cast my vote for the LS430!
Old 01-12-11, 06:53 PM
TrueLexLov
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
I've driven the current GS350. While it was a great car, I felt it wasn't in the same league as the LS (despite costing about the same when new). The GS was an excellent highway cruiser, but didn't quite do so well everywhere else IMO. The GS is supposedly a sporty sedan, but the steering ruins the whole experience as it is too light and devoid of feel. I personally think the steering in the LS is much better weighted. The suspension is definitely sportier and will give you an edge in cornering over the LS. However, the suspension was quite firm over broken pavement and the car exhibited loads of rattles and squeaks. The engine also vibrated slightly. Yes I know that the V6 design is inherently rougher running than the V8 b/c the forces don't cancel out, but a smooth engine was something I took for granted so it came as a bit of a shock. As for room, the LS is way roomier than the GS. The seats are wider in the LS, with a wider armrest and a lot more headroom.

I'm not saying the GS is a bad car. I'm just saying that the LS has spoiled me. As a daily driver, it does everything beyond what I was used to. Now that I've had it for a while, other cars just don't compare, not even ones from the same company. Only thing that I've driven that matches the LS experience is the W220 Merc S500. However, we all know that in general Lexus reliability >> Mercedes reliability. As I've said before, I am absolutely blown away by how good the car is. I've had it for 4 months now and the praises just keep coming. IMO the LS430 is one of the best daily drivers in the world. It relaxes and spoils the driver, is relatively low maintenance, costs a reasonable price to buy used (a lot cheaper than a same yr 7 series, s class, or A8), and has a solid feel that is hard to find.

I cast my vote for the LS430!

I greatly appreciate your experienced insight and your testimony definitely helps my decision. You touched on good points such as Size, Feel, comfort and especially price because price similarities were in mind but you can't fight LS perfection.
Old 01-12-11, 07:11 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Glad I could help a bit! The best way method is still to go out and drive both of these cars for a while. Take it on the highway, local roads, badly paved roads, twisty roads so you can get a more complete feel of each car. Keep in mind that my personal taste may not be the same as yours. However, I think if you're 6 ft+ you will definitely welcome the extra room in the LS. Good luck on your hunt, be sure to post some pics once the car shopping is done!
Old 01-13-11, 04:10 AM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I would go with the LS for many reasons....overall it does everything well, is super comfortable and reliable and a great value for the money.